We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions surf trip in summer (beginner)

Rimouski, Quebec...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions surf trip in summer (beginner)

Hello guys, I plan on making a 1-2 months trip this summer to Maui or Kauai, dont know which one yet but I limited myself to these two islands.

I heard surf conditons in summer are soso... ?but probably good for me since I'm a beginner and never surf yet! I plan on taking only one or two surf lessons to start and then go on my own.

Could you give some general suggestions and which island I should go and what part of the island? For the time I will be there, I plan to rent an apartment or something similar.

Thanks for your help !

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions surf trip in summer (beginner)

In the summer months, the best place to catch some waves would be south facing shores. Try Maui Wave-Riders in Kihei.

Mentioned in this post
Maui Waveriders
Maui Waveriders
797 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Rimouski, Quebec...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions surf trip in summer (beginner)

Thank you! I'll look into this compagny for private lessons. Is there many beaches for beginners in the surounding area or in the south shore so I could look for my accomodations ?

Beside that, do you know how's the lifestyle on Maui compared to Kauai ? In terms of surf conditions, activities nightlife, etc. From your experience, do you think it's more expensive to live on Maui than Kauai ?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Rimouski, Quebec...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions surf trip in summer (beginner)

I forgot to mention, but I am a yound adult. I read that Kihei and Lahaina are more young persons towns so an apt in one of these areas or near one of them would be great I suppose ? Is it a good choice or what area/town do you suggest ?

Presently I think Kihei would be a better choise considering the potential surf there ?

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions surf trip in summer (beginner)

Nobody has brought this up yet but it was the first thing I thought about when I read your post. I'm not sure how much you've researched surfing culture. You need to google (surfing localism). I hate to be a dreambreaker, but things can get pretty harsh for an outsider.

Rimouski, Quebec...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions surf trip in summer (beginner)

I heard about it but firstly i'm not a pro surfer and I will probably just go to beginner/intermediate beaches. Do you really think I could have a problem if I act respectfully ? I'm one of the friendliest guy :)

Socal
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions surf trip in summer (beginner)

There are several 'beginner' spots, everything from Lahaina Harbor Breakwater to Launiupoko Park to Cove down south. Wouldn't worry too much about that. And summer is mostly smallish surf anyhow.

As to locals...being friendly never hurts but just be aware that in a crowd, things can be a bit tight as people try to get waves. However I doubt you'll be out in any break that is super intense so don't be scared off by that. In two dozen trips to the island over the years, the number of times I've had run-ins can be counted on less than 5 fingers. I surf very popular Socal breaks (ie; Malibu) that are way more of a pain than I've had on Maui.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina Harbor
Lahaina Harbor
844 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,880 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions surf trip in summer (beginner)

I was hoping nesdog would jump in with advice...thanks, by the way, nesdog. The difference is you are a surfer, not a newbie.

tilem, if you are truly a beginner, take a few lessons on island, talk to the instructors. There really is a different "culture" for surfers and local surfers are very protective of their "lines". Beinning respecfull is key.

Rimouski, Quebec...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions surf trip in summer (beginner)

I appreciate your clarification nesdog! Like you said I don't think I will be where all locals usually surf..

Yea the best would be to take 1-2 lessons just to learn the basic and I'll probably be good by my own after. I also suppose the instructor will be able to tell me where to practice and where not to.

As for my age, is there a place, an area I should look more than other for an apt to be the closest to 'young people activies' ? Also not too far from groceries, restaurants, shops, etc.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions surf trip in summer (beginner)

What kind of budget are you figuring for housing? A regular apartment is unlikely to be rentable for only a month or two, I would think. So you may end up in a condo someplace. FWIW, places aren't exactly cheap on the island. I have known locals who shared units to save money.

Rimouski, Quebec...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions surf trip in summer (beginner)

About our budget, I was thinking around or under $1000 per month. We will probably be two so at first we were looking for any rentals for 1-2 months. Of course we would prefer an apt/condo/studio but if we don't find one, a shared unit would be an idea I guess..!

Do you have some suggestions in Kihei or Lahaina area ?

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI