We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any "bad" spots in Maui?

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Are there any "bad" spots in Maui?

After many hours researching, here are my short list (believe me the long list was long)….

Honokowai: Maui Sands Resort

Kihei: Menehune Shores

Maalaea Kai

Kauhale Makai

Maui Vista, across from Kamaole Beach

Kaanapali Beach Club

Anything stick out as absolutely awesome or an absolutely poor choice? Any spot better for end of Feb, beginning of March?

We will be 2 couples, have a car and a weekly budget of not more than $2000 for 7 days of accommodations.

But really, are there any “bad” spots in Maui?

LA
Level Contributor
10,062 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any "bad" spots in Maui?

What do you mean by bad spots? Your post is not clear.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any "bad" spots in Maui?

Except for a few locals bars at closing time, as anywhere, Maui is pretty terrific everywhere!

Maui Sands would be hard to beat during whale season, older condo but right on the ocean for killer views.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there any "bad" spots in Maui?

Yes there are less desirable areas to stay. Get a 2 bedroom unit at the Maui Kamaole and you will be well under budget. Not far from Wailea. Much of Kihei is junky IMO. Kaanapali is nice but the beach isn't on a par with many of the south Maui beaches. I don't like the Maui Vista location. I think that the Maui Kamaole property is the closest to a Wailea feel in south Kihei.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there any "bad" spots in Maui?

What I meant was that it appears there are no really wrong places to stay in Maui. I have been spending lots of time researching all the areas and I have come to the conclusion that no matter where we stay it is going to be an awesome vacation.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there any "bad" spots in Maui?

You are absolutely right! It's Maui!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,466 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there any "bad" spots in Maui?

You are right...people on here have their preferences...We have Kihei lovers, Wailea lovers, Kaanapali fans and I love Kapalua....BUT we all love Maui. I would look at what looks like the accommodations would work best and go for it. I do agree with Mamma that Maui Sands would be great for the views...AND coming in whale season it is awesome to sit on your lanai and watch the whales!!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there any "bad" spots in Maui?

Maui is a small island and very easy to explore! Once you have had your first visit, you will get a feel for your favorite areas. We prefer the unmanicured look of Kihei and love the south beaches. But you nailed it when you said anywhere on Maui is awesome! Deb

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there any "bad" spots in Maui?

As we also feel there are no ‘bad’ spots in Maui, we liked our last stay a year ago at Maalaea Kai. We liked the central location on the island, as it’s only around 20 minutes to drive to Wailea, or Lahaina or Paia. We were able to make some weather based travel decisions just by looking out and seeing what the weather looked liked in Kihei and UpCountry way.

We stayed at a vrbo one bedroom and found the grounds/pool nice. It is also budget friendly. We will likely try and stay there again on our next travels to Maui. Some reviews mention the wind, but we found the building acted as a wind break and didn’t find it annoying at all. You will have to drive to get to great snorkeling. A couple well reviewed restaurants are close by such as The Waterfront.

We enjoyed the condo life; light breakfast in condo, visit a great beach in morning and do some snorkeling, find a tasty lunch somewhere, shop or tour or go back and relax by condo pool in afternoon, for supper we usually just went out for pupu’s and drinks somewhere fun. Cheers.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there any "bad" spots in Maui?

Kauhale Makai and Menehune Shores both close to each other on the north part of Kihei Road and ocean front. I have a friend that lives at the Menehune shores, they whale watch from their lanai.

Maalaea Kai is also ocean front and as is located in Ma'alaea.

All three of these units overlook Ma'a'laea bay. This is a large whale birthing area. You will get a great whale show if you have a good room.

Maui vista is across the street from the ocean.

Edited: 08 April 2013, 02:58
Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there any "bad" spots in Maui?

Thanks for all the comments! I am really looking forward to seeing some whales. Always missed them when we lived on Vancouver Island.