We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions please...1 week in Maui w/ 34 week pregnant wife

Minneapolis...
3 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions please...1 week in Maui w/ 34 week pregnant wife

I am looking for help, mid April I will be traveling to Maui wi my 34 week pregnant wife. We will be staying at the Maui Coat Hotel and have a rental car for fours day and then moving to the Westin for work. We are looking for suggestions on what we should do for the first part of the trip. I know my wife would want to do nothing more than sit on the pool, but I would also like to get out and see the island. My thought were to take the rental each morning and drive to a destination where we can do a bit of hiking to get to the beach and then enjoy the beach and maybe do some snorkeling or leave and grab lunch at local stop. Any suggestions?

Also, we are considering doing the Road to Hana... Is that going to be too much for her? Are there stops on the way? I know it's hard to answer but I just don't want to be too far out of the way.

Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.

Also we are currently scheduled to do the "East Maui Rainforest and Waterfall" hike. Has anyone done that? Is it very technical?

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,024 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions please...1 week in Maui w/ 34 week pregnant wife

Congratulation on the up coming birth.

Maui coast Hotel is across the road from a string of very nice beaches. You can also just drive 5-20 minutes south and visit many more. No need to drive part and hike.

If you are wanting a morning walk you will find many people out walking the sidewalks of Kihei and on into the Wailea area.

Another suggestion for a nice morning walk.. pack your beach gear, drive to Ulua or Polo Beach. Park and walk the paved beach walk that fronts the ocean and the large resorts. It's about 1 mile one way. Each of these beaches have county provided parking, restroom and showers.

Snorkeling is best in the mornings.

Hana:.. Hike Maui's east Maui hike will be in and around Hana. No need to drive there twice.

While in Kihei drive south to La Perouse Bay until the road ends. Beautiful scenery stop at Big Beach and take a stroll on the beach.. this is also known as "break your neck" beach so I would not recommend the wife swimming here.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions please...1 week in Maui w/ 34 week pregnant wife

I think RTH might be a bit much. I can't imagine having done it 34 weeks pregnant but I didn't like being in a car at that point...plus even though I don't often get motion sickness it did tend to happen more often in a car...plus bathroom stops....needed them alot. I'd save RTH for another trip. Plus you mention not wanting to be too far out of the way....RTH involves an entire day of driving.

Edited: 09 April 2013, 14:20
San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions please...1 week in Maui w/ 34 week pregnant wife

Are you joking with this post? 34 weeks pregnant and you want to do hikes in the rainforest? If your wife wants to do nothing more than sit by the pool so be it. Think about her and not yourself.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,548 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions please...1 week in Maui w/ 34 week pregnant wife

Everyone is different with pregnancies...some people are very active before and continue to be active throughout, others, not as much. I would go with the flow and see how she is doing and feeling. I also wouldn't do anything too crazy... You don't want to have early labor in Maui! Take it slow, go with the flow and follow your wife's lead!

Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions please...1 week in Maui w/ 34 week pregnant wife

Is this a joke? I was waiting for the punchline. I would reserve a nice private hospital room. Or, I guess you could go native and set up a tent on the beach. Are you certain the airline will let you fly? I think you are putting us on.

Nashville
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions please...1 week in Maui w/ 34 week pregnant wife

Most airlines are going to require that you get a doctor's note, often signed withing 48 hours of travel before they will let you fly if you are in the third trimester. Some won't allow you to fly if you are in the last 30 days. I know my neice was in her second trimester and she was pretty tired when she and her husband went to Hawaii for his work. Check with your airline that it will be okay for her to travel first before making plans.

My OB didn't want me on a plane after my second trimester, but I was high risk.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions please...1 week in Maui w/ 34 week pregnant wife

This post has to be a joke to try and get a rise out of people. No man in his right mind would try and get his 34 week pregnant wife to go hiking. If the post is real I feel sorry for the woman being married to a man that has the me me me me mentality. Poor thing.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions please...1 week in Maui w/ 34 week pregnant wife

Boy, aren't we all jumping to conclusions. This poster could very well be a troll, but then again maybe not. How do we know his wife doesn't want to hike. Heck, I was still backpacking Colorado up until 36 weeks with my first. Most of my friends and I were very active while pregnant. That was way back when those who were pregnant were the most pampered people on the planet. My mother had a problem with it but my OB didn't!!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,930 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions please...1 week in Maui w/ 34 week pregnant wife

Agree with msfuzz. whether troll or not, I hiked, swam, and was in the gym until pretty much the last day with all my pregnancies. There's absolutely no reason why a healthy woman in her third trimester with an uneventful pregnancy should avoid travel or light to moderate hiking, assuming her midwife or OB has no problem with it.

I would not have wanted to do the RtH, however.

jack.
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions please...1 week in Maui w/ 34 week pregnant wife

As she's the one who's pregnant, I would just do whatever she wants.

If she does want to hike, ask the tour guides if they allow ladies in that stage to go.

As to the RTH, depends on her current nausea issues. Be prepared to turn around if you try it and she feels queasy. It's a great experience normally.