We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tap water?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
451 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Tap water?

We do not like to use those plastic disposable water bottles, even if they can go in the recycle bin... For day trips we'll be bringing our refillable bottles. Is the tap water good on Maui? Before anyone gets their speedo in a bunch, I know it's not a third world country. I just mean good for drinking straight out of the tap or will we need to buy spring water or filtered water? I guess it's a matter of personal taste... I use the tap water in our town but I think the water from MIL's tap tastes funny... Curious what you all think/do?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,183 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tap water?

It is personal taste, I have no problem with the tap water and just keep a pitcher in the fridge to fill my bottles (Thanks by the way, the landfills don't need more plastic). My daughter, on the other hand, prefers bottled, yes the debate goes on! At least we have recycling bins at our condo.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,518 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tap water?

I've never had a problem with tap water on Maui. I much prefer it to bottled water.

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tap water?

Loved the Maui tap water.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tap water?

My taste buds say it's ok but not like the RO water I'm use to. So we buy 2 gallons of water when we arrive and refill them for 50cents. In Lahaina there's a machine is in front of Safeway, outside. I'm sure there are other places too.

In Kihei I use the machine outside of the Times market.

Thanks for refilling your own.

Edited: 10 April 2013, 01:36
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,688 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tap water?

The thing about those machines is that they are not well regulated. Many TV news stories here on the mainland show the spouts and water lines green or black with algae, bacteria and just plain nasty stuff because there are no regulations/laws on keeping them clean. Be especially careful if the machine is in a sunny location as it can contribute to faster algae growth.

I found the tap water anywhere in Hawaii to be fine.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
451 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tap water?

Thanks all for your input. I am not a fan of those self fill stations either. if we do buy water it will be from a store in a sealed container. We'll check out the condo first. It just occurred to me that the condo has a shiny new kitchen which probably has a new fridge with a filtered water dispenser.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
451 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tap water?

What is RO water?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,401 posts