We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pipiwai trail, current conditions?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pipiwai trail, current conditions?

Hi will be arriving in 3 weeks and inserting how wet/ muddy will the trail be in may? And so far has there been a lot of rain?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pipiwai trail, current conditions?

You won't know that until you get to Maui. BUT... I did the hike in October of 2011 and was able to cross the creeks by hopping rock to rock. I did the hike again in May of 2012 and we opted t take shoes off to cross the creeks. Glad we did as the water was up to my knees when crossing them. And I am close to six feet tall.

If you do take shoes off at the first creek, don't put them back on until you cross the second one. They are very close together and it is a nuisance drying your feet off again. Flip flops are not a good idea.

seattle
Level Contributor
204 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pipiwai trail, current conditions?

You'll want to check in with the ranger station: Phone: 808-572-4400. Depending on recent rains, conditions can change quickly.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pipiwai trail, current conditions?

One thing is that the low lying areas of the trail have a boardwalk so you don't walk on the areas that get quite muddy.

On the other, uphill, sections there are usually stepping stones or roots to get a foothold. So really even if the trail is a little muddy it's very walkable. And if there's been some rain the Waimoku falls will be really spectacular when you get up there, so that's the upside :)

Pay attention to the warning signs at the falls. A big rock came down while we were there last. Have a great time,

Dave

Edited: 13 April 2013, 15:43
4. Re: Pipiwai trail, current conditions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 06:17