We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pride of Maui or Quicksilver to Molokini?

Alberta
Level Contributor
125 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Pride of Maui or Quicksilver to Molokini?

Pride of Maui and Quicksilver seem like two of the best snorkel trips to Molokini; can anyone suggest which one would be better? Also, should I be booking before I arrive in Maui? I'm going May 20th for two weeks. Thanks!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pride of Maui or Quicksilver to Molokini?

Well i would look at Trilogy or Blue Water Rafting for Molokini, depends on what kind of experience you want. I would also book ahead, and early in your trip, weather can foul things on occassion and a chance for a redo is always good!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pride of Maui or Quicksilver to Molokini?

I've been on and enjoyed both. Pride of Maui was more spacious. Quicksilver was faster and the ride included Molokini, Turtle Town, and a bit of the So. Maui coastline. Crew and snorkel equip good on both.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
588 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pride of Maui or Quicksilver to Molokini?

Haven't been on either of those, but we loved Paragon. Great sailing on the way back!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pride of Maui or Quicksilver to Molokini?

Are you staying in south Maui? I assume so, due to the companies you picked. Both are just fine as is Trilogy to Molokini. There is also a smaller company, the Mahana Naia. This one I took out of Maalaea more than any other. Worth a look!! Do book as soon as possible. Most will discount if you book in advance, on line. Almost all the tour boats that go to Molokini will also include a stop at "turtle town", and other areas in south Maui.

Alberta
Level Contributor
125 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pride of Maui or Quicksilver to Molokini?

We are staying on the West side of Maui, but will have a car. I think a bonus with these two companies is they say you get there quicker, and often the spinner dolphins swim along their wake.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pride of Maui or Quicksilver to Molokini?

We've been on a number of Molokini snorkel trips in Maui, including your 2 mentions. But the one we've enjoyed most (the only one we've booked more than once) is Four Winds II out of Maalea harbor.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 23:59
Alberta
Level Contributor
125 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pride of Maui or Quicksilver to Molokini?

OregonJohn ... is there a reason you like the Four Winds II trip more than Quicksilver or Pride of Maui? To be honest, when researching tours, I didn't even come across that one. All three of them seem close (except it doesn't look like Four Winds II goes to Turtle Town). Thanks for your feedback!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pride of Maui or Quicksilver to Molokini?

The friendliness and helpfulness of the crew on Four Winds II made the trips special. They also serve a very nice hearty continental breakfast and a good barbecue lunch (especially the pulled pork sandwiches!!). The captain also knows a good spot for turtle-sighting on the way back to Maalea -- Mrs. OJ, the photographer in the family, got some great closeup shots from the boat.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pride of Maui or Quicksilver to Molokini?

I can second Four Winds. But they do only snorkel at Molokini. Very friendly crew and great lunch. Dont forget to rent one of their underwater digital cameras which they then burn your pics to a disk for you on the way back.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pride of Maui or Quicksilver to Molokini?

If I were staying in West Maui, I would rather be out on the water sailing from Lahaina (enjoying the gorgeous views of the West Maui Mtns.) rather than driving all that way to Ma'alaea. Trilogy comes to mind. And you're as likely to have dolphins (or not) with one boat as another.