We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat trip/tour (not snorkeling) with 6 yr old (pref. Maalea)

portland,or
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Boat trip/tour (not snorkeling) with 6 yr old (pref. Maalea)

Hi,

We will be in Wailea for a week starting 4/19. I know the whales will be mostly gone by then. I also know that our best chance of seeing whales would be out on the water. Most of the specified "whale watch" trips will not be running by the 19th. So.... I am trying to find the best tour for our family (2 adults, one 6 year old) to get out on the water and hopefully see a few straggler whales . We don't want a snorkel tour, just a "pleasure cruise." Prefer Maalea for proximity to Wailea. I know Trilogy has a sunset sail with cocktails and appetizers. They do sell tix for kids for this tour, but I was wondering if a 6 year old would seem out of place (not sure how adult/romance the vibe is). Open to any suggestions of a boat trip that would get us out on the water for a few hours. I am very prone to seasickness, so if anyone can speak to which boats might be better for that issue as well I'd be most appreciative. Not opposed to Lahaina departures, but esp. for sunset type cruises would prefer Maalea so drive back to Wailea would be shorter in the dark.

Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat trip/tour (not snorkeling) with 6 yr old (pref. Maalea)

There is a sunset cruise that leaves from Makena Beach Resort on the 60' catamaran Kai Kanani, very nice crew too. That would save you some driving.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,408 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat trip/tour (not snorkeling) with 6 yr old (pref. Maalea)

Though I usually don't recommend them, due to their huge size, the Pacific Whale Foundation boats just may be what you are looking for. They have quite a few different tours that leave from Maalaea. For the best ocean conditions for those who get sea sick, go as early in the morning as possible.

bc
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat trip/tour (not snorkeling) with 6 yr old (pref. Maalea)

I know they're not often recommended on here, but on both of our recent trips, we took our 4 kids (ages 3-9), on the Pacific Whale Foundation boat out of Maalaea, as we hadn't booked in advance, and their was availability that fit our schedule. We enjoyed our experience both times.

4. Re: Boat trip/tour (not snorkeling) with 6 yr old (pref. Maalea)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 05:17