We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap eats Maui?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap eats Maui?

If you search "Cheap Eats Maui" you get directed to some threads that reference an LA Times article from 2008. Unfortunately that article is no longer online at the LA Times. Here are the original restaurants, without the text, just the names and without 1 or 2 that are gone:

HAWAIIAN | RESTAURANT REVIEWS

Hawaii: 20 cheap eats under $20 on Maui

A Taste of Maui: Dining on a budget? Here's a guide to 20 yummy meal deals. You'll like the ambience, variety and views, too.

By Rosemary McClure, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

12:25 PM PDT, April 04, 2008

1. CJ'S DELI & DINER

Price: $7.95 to $9.95

2. ALOHA MIXED PLATE

Price: $6.25 to $13.95

3. SUNRISE CAFE

Price: $5.95 to $9.95

4. BA-LE FRENCH SANDWICHES & BAKERY

Price: $7.75 to $8.25

5. SCOOPS

Price: $3.25 to $6.25.

6. FISH MARKET MAUI

Price: $8.99 to $12.99

7. HONOLUA STORE DELI

Price: All less than $7

8. MAUI CULINARY ACADEMY

Price: $5 to $8.50

9. DA KITCHEN CAFE

Price: $6.75 to $13.95

10. BANGKOK CUISINE

Price: $7.50 to $17.50

11. STILLWELL'S BAKERY & CAFE

Price: $5.45 to $12.45

12. TOKYO TEI RESTAURANT

Price: $5 to $14.50

13. DOWN TO EARTH

Price: $7.75 to $8.25

14. CAFÉ O’LEI

Price: Lunch $6.95 to $12.95; dinner $14.95 to $38.95

15. SHAKA SANDWICH & PIZZA

Price: $6.35 to $25.95

16. JAWZ TACOS

Price: $6.75 to $12.95

18. SERPICO'S

Price: $6.75 to $17.25

19. PAIA FISH MARKET

Price: $8.50 to $17.95

2008 was a long time ago, some of these places may have faltered, other new ones may have appeared. Add your fave under $20 spots on Maui.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap eats Maui?

For WEST Maui, here are my additions:

Honokowai Okazuya Deli, Mama's Ribs & Rotisserie, Maui Tacos, Local Food, Nagasako Okazu-yaDeli, No Ka Oi Deli, The Fish Market Maui, Ono Kau Kau Mixed Plate and Pad Thai.

TS Restaurants (Duke's, Leilani's, Kimo's and Hula Grill) have a good Aloha Hour usually and early bird specials, Roy's, Merriman's and some other top spots have great Aloha Hours too.

For SOUTH Maui here are my additions:

For somewhat inexpensive places to eat breakfast and lunch, look at Peggy Sue’s (Kihei), Stella Blues, Cheeseburger Island Style, Coconut's Fish Tacos, Mulligan's on the Blue, Kihei Café, Lulu's, South Shore Tiki Lounge, Joy's Place, Moose McGillycuddy's, Eskimo Candy and Fred’s Mexican Cafe.

You can also get Aloha Hour specials at Roy's, Mala Wailea and other higher end restaurants.

For UPCOUNTRY & KAHALUI:

Costco (gotta love those dogs & pizza), Sam Sato's, Tasty Crust, Home Maid Bakery, T. Komoda Store & Bakery, Pukalani Superette, Takamya's Market, Hana Hou Cafe and Tiffany's Restaurant.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap eats Maui?

And when this thread is up to 50 plus posts, can we add it to the FAQ on the right side????

Thanks for getting this started scottca.

808 Deli in Kihei.

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap eats Maui?

I can go on and on here but will start with Horhito's. a mobile food truck it mainly stays right across the street from Kalama Park. fish taco's 3$ beef chicken and pork going for 2$. byob with about 6 or 7 tables. cheap

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap eats Maui?

Central or South Maui

Ma'alaea General Store (by Coast Guard)

Waterfront @ lunch their plate lunch special changes daily $9.00

Cafe Carmen ( new in Kihei Tech Park in the Premier Place)

Also up in the same area on the Elleair golf course Kono's on the Green

Makena Golf Course .. Cafe on the Green

Huli Huil chicken from road side grills.

Cafe 808 in Wailuku on Hwy 30 (he was the first 808...was located in Kula moved last year.

Fabiani's in Kihei

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,555 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap eats Maui?

Barefoot mentioned the one we liked and hear very little about - Cafe on the Green at Makena Golf Course. I have to add my recomendation here because I think everyone who drives down to Makena should stop by here at least for an iced tea and to enjoy the stunning views! Check out the photos of the view in these reviews. tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

The food is very good too, and all under $20. On the regular menu the most expensive item would Ceasar Salad $12 with added Grilled Ahi $7. But the Happy hour menu is a real bargain with everything $7 or less!!! Check it out makenaresortmaui.com/d/makena/media/PDF/Dini…

The golf course is closed for remodeling for the rest of this year, but the restaraunt is open. REALLY, stop by, you will be so happy you did!

Aloha

Teri

Edited: 14 April 2013, 00:02
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,497 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap eats Maui?

Aloha,

Cafe 808 didn't make it.....they closed about 2 months ago.

Central Maui: Kahili Golf Course Restaurant, Cafe O Lei at the Dunes, Old Wailuku Grill, Koho's, Tiffany's, Geste Shrimp truck, Bistro Casanova for Happy Hour.

West Maui: Teddy's Burgers or Sure Thing Burgers, Maui Brewing Co. in Kahana, $9.95 whole chicken at Cilantro after 4 PM.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap eats Maui?

J0an, this thread is so good, no reason to wait until it gets larger. It's now in the Top Questions.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap eats Maui?

Mahalo msfuzz!! I hope I get to use it in September!

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap eats Maui?

Johnson's Surf Side Deli at the Island Surf building. not great but we like them, and goes under cheap eats. menu changes daily but on Tuesdays and Thursdays its the same. these days you can get chicken luau. they always have brown rice and tossed salad for a healthier choice with the white rice and mac salad available. every day they have the shoyu chicken. Fridays they do mochi chicken. other days I see pork and peas, lau lau, roast pork, roast turkey etc etc etc. they don't open till 11. pop in, look whats being served and see if it interests you. next to the bike shop across from Kalama Park. same building as them is Joys where you can find an excellent 12$ turkey sandwich and other healthy alternatives.the herb bread for the sandwich's is my pick. pricey but healthy.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap eats Maui?

Ono Tacos in Honokawai. $3.50 for a shrimp taco that is very yummy. And some pickled onions and guac from the salsa bar. So good.