We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel with Mom and Dad

Klamath Falls, OR
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Travel with Mom and Dad

I have just booked our trip to Maui! We will be in Maui in January and I will be traveling with my husband, 17 year old son and 21 yr old daughter. My parents are also coming for their first trip to Hawaii. Mom is in her late 60's and has lung cancer. She has already long out lived her prognosis and is doing great. She has no symptoms but the chemo has sapped her strenght quite a bit. She will love just sitting on the Lanai (we are staying at the Noelani), but I also would love to get her out snorkeling and out for a sail. We are thinking Trilogy for a whale watch and cocktail sunset cruise. We will also spend a day upcountry in the gardens and winery, and will go shopping in Lahaina. My family has been to Maui several times and while we won't necessarily spend all day everyday with Mom and Dad we want them to have the best time possible. We will have two cars. Any input and suggestions would be great.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,831 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel with Mom and Dad

Trilogy, Gemini, and Paragon all board right from the beach on Ka'anapali Beach. That may be tricky for mom, depending on how shaky she may be on any given day. You may want to check out some different options that leave from the harbour.

Maybe head to Ma'alaea for the Ocean Center. Even if she gets out snorkeling, it is still a fun visit. Iao Needle will be a nice visit too, without a long hike necessary to enjoy the views and the ambiance there.

Hope you are able to give your parents a FANTASTIC holiday with the whales! January is a ways away now, so hopefully she will have more energy by then too.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel with Mom and Dad

If your mom has shallow breathing snorkeling might be hard for her. There are boggie type boards with view windows that she could use.

If her lungs allow for breathing through a snorkel tube then also get a snorkel vest, which you can rent per week about $15 will help her to float and relax more in the water as she snorkels.

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel with Mom and Dad

The Masters of Hawaiian Music Slack Key Show: I've never been myself, though planning to change that on our upcoming trip--but a lot of contributors really like and recommend these concerts at Napili Kai on Wednesday nights. http://www.slackkeyshow.com/ Napili Kai is a lovely resort, and has a restaurant, the Sea House, that is a beautiful place to sit and watch the sunset, have some drinks and appetizers or even dinner before the show--and very close to where you are! and seeing Napili Bay at night with the green lights of the little low rise condo/resorts up and down the beach reflected in the water is incredible. Sigh...can't wait to get there myself!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,461 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel with Mom and Dad

Joan...it's Teralani as the third boat out of Kaanapali. Paragon leaves from Lahaina.

I highly rec Valley Isle's van tour to Hana for your folks, you get a great education about island history and all the wonderful flora you see.

Klamath Falls, OR
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel with Mom and Dad

Thanks for the great ideas! Mom is healthy enough to snorkel and board from the beach just not up for climbing ladders and lenghty or taxing hikes. Are some beach entry and exits in December easier than others.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,831 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel with Mom and Dad

Ooops! Thanks mamma. I should have remembered that as Teralani is the one your crew uses, IF I remember THAT correctly!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,076 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel with Mom and Dad

Aloha,

Beach boarding at Kaanapali in January should be okay, but you might want to play it super safe and book Trilogy from Lahaina Harbor (they run a sunset trip from there as well as the all day Lanai trips). One never knows how much higher the surf will be from day to day, or how strong the current might be.

All the boats at K'pali board right around Whaler's Village. If the surf is low and calm, it will be easy. If it's rough-really rough--they will cancel. If it's inbetween, they may ferry you out to the cat in a Zodiac.

Klamath Falls, OR
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel with Mom and Dad

Thanks swmarket I will book from the harbor .

9. Re: Travel with Mom and Dad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 05:17