We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Culinary Academy

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Culinary Academy

I've seen a couple references to eating here, but couldn't find much info on TA search. We loved going to the French Culinary Inst. Academy in NYC some years ago...and thought this might be a gem, too. So I Googled MCA, and found the link to their restaurant. But the schedule of meals only goes to May 1. Perhaps that is the end of the term and they go on hiatus?

Anyway, wondering if anyone has been to their restaurant lately, how it was, and if anyone knows if they would be serving meals later in May (we are there the 4-11th)

Thanks--S

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Culinary Academy

We love the Class Act restaurant at the UH Maui campus. Best value on Maui and ALWAYS on our must list for dining when we're there.

If the schedule on their website doesn't go further into May, my guess is that the term has ended and they will resume service when the next term begins (probably in the fall). You might just give them a call to make sure. If there is any way to dine there, do not pass up the opportunity!

I've posted a couple reviews in the past (most recently last October). You might check them out.

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
764 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Culinary Academy

Reservations for the Class Act are an absolute must. Use the on-line reservation system. You are able to BYO wine which they will open and serve to you. Servers are also culinary arts students learning the front of the house. Food is very good, service is weak but what you might expect for "newbies" that sadly often don't want to master the front of the house techniques.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,635 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Culinary Academy

Aloha,

Yes, they usually shut down in May. There's graduation to deal with mid-May........and then the students are gone till late summer.

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Culinary Academy

Didn;t do this the past trip, but definitely next time when we spend more time in Maui

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
124 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Culinary Academy

We were there on April 5. Service and food were both fantastic.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Culinary Academy

We made reservations and ate there last September and it was a highlight of our dining experiences! We enjoyed interacting with both the students and the teacher/chefs. The setting is beautiful overlooking the ocean. We plan to make reservations again this September, 2013. The food was delicious. 1-808-984-3280

Wednesday & Friday, 11 AM - 12:30, $32.00 each. (Last year.)

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
764 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Culinary Academy

Meant to include that reservations should be made two plus weeks in advance for best chance of obtaining a table. As a side note, the same culinary arts students run the multi ethnic themed cafeteria featuring stations for sushi, Italian, Mexican etc as well as a bakery/pastry department. You can dive in on your way to/from Io needle, Wailuku, Kahalui. This is the student's regular cafeteria but it is open to anyone. Many excellent choices along with reasonable prices.

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Culinary Academy

Thanks for all the responses. I think you're right--they must shut down for graduation. So disappointing! I went to the Class Act link someone provided below, and wow-- looks fantastic! Incredible menu and elegant setting. We'll have to make sure we hit it tight next time.

Mahalo--S

9. Re: Maui Culinary Academy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 05:18