We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does our perfect condo exist on Maui?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Does our perfect condo exist on Maui?

Hi - We are looking for a place to stay on Maui for 10 nights next February and I'm overwhelmed with details about the different areas (Wailea, Lahaina, etc.) and with trying to figure out from condo descriptions if it really is what it says it is (is it really ocean front, or was that picture taken with a zoom lens from one corner of the lanai?). My husband and I will be travelling with our 6-year-old son and my mom, and this will be our first visit to Hawaii.

Understanding we probably won't find one place with everything, this is our wish list:

- Oceanfront with great views from the lanai (we want to see and hear the ocean)

- Really fun pool for 6-year-old

- Nice beach for walking and swimming

- Close proximity (preferably walking) to restaurants and grocery shopping

- Updated and clean with 2BR/2BA, washer/dryer

- Not terribly far from activities like whale watching, snorkeling, biking (we will have a car)

- Area not too crowded

We are prepared to spend up to $800 per night including taxes and fees, but would really rather be less than that.

Any suggestions, recommendations, tips, etc. about the areas or properties that would be a good fit for our family would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Edited: 16 April 2013, 05:04
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does our perfect condo exist on Maui?

Check out the Honua Kai in Kaanapali.

It's a new property, built 2010 (?). They have beautiful condos with full kitchens & baths. There are 5 swimming pools. Our 4 year old LOVED it. There's a small waterslide that kept him busy all week. I recommend renting a unit from VRBO so that you know EXACTLY what unit you will get. We stayed in the Hukalani tower Unit 205. Owners were wonderful and it had everything you could want for the beach (beach chairs, boggie boards, cooler, sand toys). There are tons of reviews on the trip advisor site. The only problems I hear about (but didn't experience) was "strong winds" and some complaint about odors from a local water treatment facility. We stayed in October 2012, and lived it so much we are returning this month April. Hope you find this helpful!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does our perfect condo exist on Maui?

Sure it does! You have a generous budget and are sure to find something that works well for you. One thing to consider in your deliberations is that there is a difference between "oceanfront" listings and "beachfront" listings. For example, many of the condo properties in the Kahana area are indeed oceanfront but have little or no actual beach. And if they do, it may be accessible only at low tide. Here's a few suggestions for you to look at.

In West Maui try Napili Kai Beach resort - particularly the Puna Point units there might fit your desires well. Those units are about as oceanfront as you can get. Also look at Honua Kai, Westin Villas, Maui Ka'anapali Villas.

In South Maui the Polo Beach Club in Wailea would be a good fit. Further up the coast toward Kihei consider the Mana Kai, or the Hale Pau Hana.

Good luck! Let us know what you finally decide on.

Edited: 16 April 2013, 05:39
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does our perfect condo exist on Maui?

Puunoa Estates in Lahaina. Oceanfront on baby beach could be the answer.

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Does our perfect condo exist on Maui?

Maui ocean club on Kaanapali Beach would fit except washer dryer is downstairs not in the room.

Many kids loving the pools when we were there.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does our perfect condo exist on Maui?

Honua Kai is a fit for you.

L.A
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Does our perfect condo exist on Maui?

Another vote for Honua Kai! Through VRBO you will be able to see EXACTLY what view you are getting. FYI, the higher floor, the better ocean view. We have a 6 and 3 year old and have returned here for 3 years in a row and plan on keeping that tradition going! You won't be dissapointed at honua kai at all

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does our perfect condo exist on Maui?

With your budget, Makena Surf would be my choice!!

http://www.makenasurf.com/

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,536 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does our perfect condo exist on Maui?

I don't know why I didn't think of that Dengay! It is on my short list in case I ever win the lottery. The beach is awesome! Deb

Calgary
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Does our perfect condo exist on Maui?

OK please refrain from tearing my head off :) but...the problem I have with the Honua Kai is the beach. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's really not that great is it?? We've been to Maui once a year for the last 7 or 8. We checked it out before leaving the island a couple of years ago and while the landscaping is great and the pools are fantastic IF you have small children, I wasn't overly impressed with the beach and being as our children our older, the beach is THE most important thing to us. Everyone is different, of course, and maybe the pools are all that matters to you. Just my two cents....

Level Contributor
34,757 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does our perfect condo exist on Maui?

Honua Kai! The units are gorgeous there! :)