We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me choose...Honua Kai or Fairmont Kea Lani

Melbourne
Level Contributor
210 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me choose...Honua Kai or Fairmont Kea Lani

Have been researching our upcoming Maui trip for a while now and have narrowed down accomodation choices to either Honua Kai ( one bedroom) or Fairmont Kea Lani.

We will be in Maui in late June for 5 nights and will arrive after loooong flights from Australia.

I am a mother bringing two daughters one aged 23 and the other 17.

We will not be renting a car as I do not wish to deal with driving on the wrong side of the road (for us)whilst jet lagged, so restaurants and food options within walking/shuttle distance are very important.

I am aware that these two hotel options are in different parts of Maui, but I understand that each area has its own unique charms.

We are beach and pool people and are looking forward to glorious weather and some pampering.

We will be happy to relax, but will also do a hike through Hike Maui and perhaps a snorkel trip.

I am aware that Honua Kai offers a kitchen and washer/dryer but for 5 nights I am hoping not to do too much cooking/laundry!

From Maui, we head to Honolulu for another 5 nights.

Would you pick Honua Kai or Fairmont Kea Lani and why?

arkansas
Level Contributor
470 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me choose...Honua Kai or Fairmont Kea Lani

For your expectations and convenience, go with the Fairmont.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me choose...Honua Kai or Fairmont Kea Lani

Kea Lani is on a superior beach. There is a lovely paved walking path that will take you by the other Wailea resorts and to the Shops at Wailea. If you there on a Wednesday you might enjoy WOW "Wailea on Wednesdays", which is an excellent free entertainment show. Read about it and the shops and restaurants here:

www.theshopsatwailea.com

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,405 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me choose...Honua Kai or Fairmont Kea Lani

I have to agree with the above posters... if not driving, go with the Fairmont.

You can always hop on the bus for 2.00 each and that will take you into Kihei as well. It isn't that far, but probably too far for a walk... probably too hot too!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me choose...Honua Kai or Fairmont Kea Lani

Fairmont is in a wee bit warmer climate.

Honua Kai are beautiful and new condos that are walking distance to a bit of action, but a bit away from things and in a wind line. A few degrees cooler in temp that Fairmont area.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,959 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me choose...Honua Kai or Fairmont Kea Lani

If you won't have a car, go with the Kea Lani, but I think it a bad idea to NOT have a car. Driving is very easy, Maui is low key and just being on Maui and never leaving Wailea....... yeah, rent a car, go see Lahaina.

Level Contributor
35,434 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me choose...Honua Kai or Fairmont Kea Lani

It was really nice with 4 people having a condo at Honua Kai. The units are gorgeous and it was so nice to have so much room. We had a 2 bedroom unit in the Konea Tower. Aloha! :).

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me choose...Honua Kai or Fairmont Kea Lani

Agreed..Faimont fits what you want and is very nice. I would also encourage you to get a car to explore. It seems wrong to go to Maui and not see it...and you won't if you don't drive. There are many people who come and have the same concerns, but find it isn't hard to learn to drive on the "right" side of the road.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,350 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me choose...Honua Kai or Fairmont Kea Lani

The Fairmont fits your criteria better than the Honua Kai does. Other restaurants etc will be a closer walk than it would be from the Honua Kai. There also is a Wailea Shuttle that will take you to quite a few places in this area.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
210 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help me choose...Honua Kai or Fairmont Kea Lani

Thanks for the excellent feedback. The Kea Lani it is! Will have to try Honua Kai on another trip.

The bus suggestion into Kihei is a good one. I know that having a car in Maui is highly recommended and will see if I can get my head around it....perhaps for Day 2 of our trip onwards.

Shooshy

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,405 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help me choose...Honua Kai or Fairmont Kea Lani

That's a great idea Shoosy! Once you are there, and see what the traffic is like, you can always decide then. But be aware that Maui can and does sometimes run out of rental cars. I am hoping that June will be okay still, as school is out for a lot of kids on the mainland and a lot of families head to Hawaii.

But if you are going to be uncomfortable and stressing about the driving, there is absolutely no point in trying it. It's YOUR holiday! Heaven knows, I wouldn't attempt to drive on the "wrong" side of the road while down under anymore. Did it once in Tassie and had everyone yelling at me when I turned left at a red light! Never again....