We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating my wy across Maui! A delicious experience...

North Port, Florida
Level Contributor
384 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Eating my wy across Maui! A delicious experience...

Day1: got up at 4am in Tampa to catch early flight to Phoenix. That leg went very smoothly. We are flying USAirway, a 4 hour flight.1 1/2wait then out six hr flight with arrival at 2:30. Seeing I just got over the flu my tummy has been a little shaky so stuck with ginger ale and crackers. Hoping to feel normal soon. I,'m wondering if I'm going to really be able to eat my way across Maui? Damn, I've been planning this for months!

We arrive and get our Thrifty car. The girl at the counter says she has a brand new impala for us. We thank her and go out and see an old Ford Fusion with dings and rims hanging off, hey wait a minute! I go back and ask, where's the new car u promised? She hems and haws and said sorry let me see what I can do. Well, 5 minutes later we get new car, much better.

We stop at Safeway in Kihei on way to Kamole sands . We get to condo and both of us disappointed. We get an older dingy unit. No central air and very dark inside. After this long trip not what you are hoping for. We go back to front desk and ask if he has anything newer and better? He scans his screen and says maybe this one. We go and look and no it's worse. We stick with first one and open all doors and windows,they have portable air condition in bedrooms and we crank those suckers. Time to open the vodka, that usually helps makes things a little better. I was right. After turning all the lights on, airing out the place, and 2 vodkas, life was looking pretty darn good! We showered and headed to Coconut fish cafe. Ok tummy , can you handle the 13 spices in the secret recipe! Success! I'm on my way to eating my way all around Maui! Time to head to our dingy condo and get some shut eye! We are zonked. Thank God I brought my sleeping pills!!!!good night all!

Z Z Z Z

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating my wy across Maui! A delicious experience...

Who needs "beer glasses" when ya got "vodka vision"! Carry on Donna, hope your tummy holds up!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating my wy across Maui! A delicious experience...

Oh, tooo bad! I would rather have had a dingy car than the condo you are describing. Oh well. I hope you managed to catch the first sunset before the vodka and sleeping pills kicked in.

Did you book directly with the KS, or an agency? It wasn't vrbo was it???

Hope you have a great REAL first day on Maui!

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating my wy across Maui! A delicious experience...

Great attitude!

Looking forward to sharing your eating experiences!

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,314 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating my wy across Maui! A delicious experience...

Donna, bet you'll love that condo out on the lanai in the morning sunshine. And remember, you're eating for all of us! You can do it! ;-)

Looking forward to the next installment!

Edited: 21 April 2013, 16:33
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,471 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating my wy across Maui! A delicious experience...

Yeah........Donna's back on Maui! So sorry to hear the condo isn't awesome, but I agree with Teri that maybe the morning sunshine will help bring new life to the place. And your attitude is terrific! We love Coconuts for a first meal too! I thought you arrived on Maui earlier in the week, but my days are jumbled lately cause of home projects. I hope you and your friend have a wonderful time and thanks for taking us along. You have such good taste in food, so this will be good times ahead.............Deb

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating my wy across Maui! A delicious experience...

What a bummer about the condo! Really like the vodka vision attitude! Looking forward to reading more about your culinary adventures!! :) enjoy!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,949 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating my wy across Maui! A delicious experience...

Sorry about the condo. How long will you be there? Might be worth asking again for a move.

Did you rent through Castle, which I believe is the main rental agency? An experience like yours is why so many of us rent through vrbo or smaller agencies where we can see photos of actual units. Even then, I've had some unpleasant surprises such as different furniture, dirty carpets, etc. Some people can shrug these things off as minor. The largest chunk of my vacation budget goes for lodging. I spend a lot of time obsessing over condo options and want good value that meets my personal standards.

Edited: 21 April 2013, 17:21
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,548 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating my wy across Maui! A delicious experience...

Can't wait to hear the rest! If only we could get taste samples as you go along.

North Port, Florida
Level Contributor
384 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating my wy across Maui! A delicious experience...

Okf folks! I was a day behind writing.

It's now Sunday morning and this dingy, hot condo is growing on me...so I have to wear my flip flops in the shower! I've camped before, right? It's all in ur attitude. The bed is good and that is very important. So with 3 vodkas and a Ambien I slept like a champ. The tummy is feeling better so we did a 2 mile walk and breakfast at Kihei Cafe. Back for a shower and off to the Coffee Plantation to show my friend " my dream home" I dream of buying for a cool 3.4 million! Hey, we can all dream can't we? We get there and since no one is around we decided to make ourselves at home and picnic by the pool. I almost went in but thank God I did not..... The door to the house opens and a pleasant lady asks, " can I help you ladies?

Trying to act like I belong there I say, " ohh, I want to buy this place." S he chuckles and says, sure, it's yours! She did not act mad or make us feel stupid.Lol we told her how we were staying at the dingy Kamole and offered hundreds of dollars if she let us stay there. She said the CEO of Kaanapali was flying in on Sunday to stay there. Phew, glad we chose Sat to have our picnic....

Left there and moved to HonuaKai for happy hour. Boy, did we leave happy!!! Lo

Went and showered and had a delicious dinner at Lahaina Grill. We both had Kula beet salad and sea bass with lobster sauce, cooked to perfection!we saved room for warm pineapple upside down cake.... Ahhhh, perfect night...

Back home my sleeping pill is calling, D O N N AA A........

Day two to follow. Winery on Sunday

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,471 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating my wy across Maui! A delicious experience...

Ok Donna......you are driving me to distraction with your adventures in my happy place.....the south side! Kihei Caffee is yummy! You crack me up.......your dream home is crazy. That was so nice the house owner had a sense of humor.

I think it would be a blast to be your designated driver someday! You enjoy happy hour drinks and I will be busy with the desserts. That would be fun! And I am glad you are coping with the less than appealing condo. I know your last place in Maui was spectacular so you do have a great approach to life. Deb