We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hyatt room would you choose??

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Which Hyatt room would you choose??

Hello Maui...I am on this forum several times a day, and have been for the past few months...I just can't get enough!!! We (Mom, Dad and 2 girls aged 12 and 17) are coming to Maui in August for 3 weeks.

We are staying at condos for most of our stay, but wanted our last 2 nights at a resort hotel. After asking here on TA, I decided on the Hyatt as it seems like exactly what we are looking for. I booked it at a regular AAA rate of $247.00 per night (I know there is also a $25.00 resort fee plus parking).

After reading a lot about people getting placed in rooms right beside the construction, I have gone back onto the website to look at options. So...

We currently have a resort double room for $247.00 (there is no mention on the reservation about it being an obstructed view...it says 451 Sq Ft: Lower Floors: Non-Ocean View: 1 Double Bed and 1 Queen Bed (no breakfast).....or

I can book a partial ocean view double for $263.00 (AAA)(no breakfast).....or

I can book an obstructed view for $195.00 with 2 for 1 breakfast included.

So, if I end up in an obstructed room with what I already have, I might as well book that room type on the website and save $50.00 per night. Or do I pay the extra to guarantee that I will have at least a partial ocean view??

I know none of this really matters, as we will be on Maui and that is all that counts. However...I like to plan and analyse. etc...yes maybe just a tad bit anal, but only during the planning stages. Once I am on my vacation...I am in relax mode...lol

Trying to decide if we should save $100.00 and take the obstructed view (we are going to the resort for the pools/grounds, etc...not so much the room) as we won't be spending much time in the room anyway. That would free up some money that we could spend elsewhere. We typically book the cheapest room available, and often end up getting an upgraded room anyway (although we never expect it or even ask for it...if it happens,it happens). I don't think that in this case that would happen however.

Do you think the only issue would be the view...or do you think the room would be louder...dustier...vibrating (not in the way you think) from hammer drills...and just be a pain in the you know what???

Thanks for any thoughts. Again, I know it doesn't really matter...but it is just so fun to think about it and plan. In the end, our vacation will be fabulous no matter what room we choose. Humor me...

Edited: 25 April 2013, 22:01
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hyatt room would you choose??

LOL........I'm glad I read your post even though the only knowledge I have of the Hyatt is the Maui Hands shop is awesome, it intimidated the heck out of me because it was so gorgeous and huge and I was able to park there easier than I expected when I went to the Maui Hands!

OK........my take from a personal experience in a recent decision I made is get the oceanfront view! JMHO........we are primarily budget condo visitors on Maui, but I give us a splurge got two or three nights, in our two or three week vacation. Our budget condos are always ocean view. We want to see the ocean........period.

I reserved an oceanview room at KBH for two nights this fall. Then I read a post that made me realize that I did not want to entertain the possibility of a less than total ocean view and I had left us open to disappointment. For $70 more, I have assured myself that we will be as close as possible to the ocean! That was the whole point. I don't want to "hope" I get lucky at check-in. The young lady at KBH assured me our room will be total killer oceanfront!!

Our only experience on Ka'anapali Beach was a few years ago and we set up our stuff in the beach in front of KBH and the lanais were right there! I made a mental note I wanted to stay there someday.......I realize you may be out of the room a lot, but it is surprising the amount of time we actually are in the room. And if it is your splurge, book the best view possible!

Enjoy the Hyatt! I am not one to spend money on resorts, but we plan to stroll through all the resorts this next trip and check them all out! That will be part of the fun of staying on that beach is looking at all the places I read about every day on TA! And I will formulate my plan for the next mini splurge.......Deb

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,970 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hyatt room would you choose??

I admitt I will only go with at least an oceanview on Maui and prefer ocean front. Those early mornings on the lanai, cup of Maui coffee, watching the sun rise over Lanai, while waiting for the rest of my tribe to stir...priceless!

It's your choice but if you can afford it I think you will quickly understand.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hyatt room would you choose??

Well very good points. I was originally willing to spend $247.00 per night so for just $16.00 more per night I can make sure we get a partial ocean view. I think it will be all or nothing...either the $195.00 and take the bad view room...or $263.00 for the POV room. You have me thinking the POV room would be better for sure. At the end of a big trip, that bit of money does not make such a huge difference. (As long as I don't use that same thinking for everything during our trip or we'll be broke..haha).

California
Level Contributor
364 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hyatt room would you choose??

I would also go with the partial ocean view, especially if it guaranteed a location away from the construction

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,970 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hyatt room would you choose??

I'm assuming this is your first trip, I know the ocean calls to me on many levels. In spite of the idea you will not spend much time in your room with teens in tow, you will! You will be waiting for them to get their hair "just right" in one bathroom...book at least oceanview. Enjoy the stay.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hyatt room would you choose??

It appears that you've answered your own question. I would NOT opt for the least expensive "special" rate, as it's difficult (although NOT impossible..) to obtain upgrades from desk personnel when the room-category downside ('obstructed view' in this instance) is explicitly spelled-out in your reservation/booking.

Not certain what your accommodations are like for the previous 19-nights on island, but this would certainly factor in, if the category/price selection were mine to make -- just saying.. ;)

I believe if you book the partial-ocean category & exude some serious 'aloha' upon check-in ... you may end-up lucking out in an upper-floor, atrium tower o/f room, which you may not even wish to temporarily vacate in order to chow down that free breakfast! :)

Alo)(a, NKO

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Hyatt room would you choose??

lol ...you all make me laugh. Ocean View it is...just booked it.

We have been to Oahu before for about 2 and a half weeks, and I have been to Maui one many moons ago, but hubby and kids have not. On Maui we will be doing a bit of moving around. We have traveled a fair bit, and this style seems to fit us best. We are spending 7 nights in Kihei Surfside with beautiful ocean views (through Rosie's Rentals), then off for 3 nights in Hana (Paradise Cottages), then one 'free' night at Grand Wailea (on Hilton points), then 7 nights at Kaanaplai Shores ...garden view only...(VRBO), then our final 2 nights at the Hyatt.

I know many of you would cringe at the thought of moving that much, but as I said, it is what usually works out best for us. We are quick packers and travel light so the moves are fairly effortless.

I am so excited I can hardly contain myself sometimes!!!!

Thank you to everyone who offers their suggestions and comments...you have all been invaluable to our trip planning process.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Hyatt room would you choose??

Yahoo!!! I love it when I get the reservation printed and as long as life is good, I know we will be there! We are staying at Kihei Surfside this fall, after our mini splurge! I think folks should do whatever makes them happy on a vacation! I will make suggestions for a newbie, asking questions and advice, but for someone that knows their travel style........ You know best! Enjoy that booked feeling! Deb

P.S. Thanks for telling us the end of the story!

9. Re: Which Hyatt room would you choose??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 06:17