We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

red sand beach

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
red sand beach

I posted questions on here before and I have always received really good advice!

So here is my nex question..

Mu husband and I are going to Maui in 3 weeks and we are taking our 2 year old. We were reading about the Red Beach in Hana and that is something that we would love to do. I read some reviews where they say that it is tricky to get down the hill to the beach. Do you guys think it is safe to do that hike with our 2 year old. I am not really a hiking pro so I dont know much about it. What do you guys think?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: red sand beach

Kaihalulu Beach, aka, the red sand beach in Hana is not only dangerous for adults but for kids, forget it. It's not a simple hill, it's a cliff side trail that you actually have to hang onto a tree to get over. Not only that but it's a clothing optional beach. Much better places for you to go in and around Hana.

There is Koki Beach which is dark red and easy to get to, close to Hamoa Beach.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 23:00
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,358 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: red sand beach

NO WAY could a 2-year-old do it! It's barely doable for an adult with good balance and no fear. Speaking from experience, it's easy to slip on the trail, and there's about a 10-12' drop straight down to the ocean.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: red sand beach

Furthermore, from my son's account of the hike, maybe not scenes of naked folks you want to explain to your 2 year old! Just a note.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,358 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: red sand beach

I'll never forget the looks on the faces of the "tour bus types" who came over the hill and saw what was on the beach. Hysterically funny. That's the last time I was there, and I almost went over the edge of the trail. I won't try it again.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: red sand beach

It is a hard trail especially if you want to go all the way to the beach.

There is a mini red sand beach that you can reach but trail gets hard after that.

There is a view point of the beach where you turn the corner.

There is a trail on the coast to reach this but would involve boulder hopping and may be dangerous if surf is up. There is also cliff side trail to reach this corner but most people thought coastside trail was easier.

From this view point the trail gets narrow on cliff side with room for only one person room.

No kids can walk on this trail. The only way is to carry him but would you want to risk injury to yourself and your child?.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,090 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: red sand beach

Aloha,

A man fell off the trail recently and was critically injured. Please stay off it.

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: red sand beach

Re: #6 post...

staradvertiser.com/news/…

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: red sand beach

Thanks everyone! Im glad I asked.

salt lake
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: red sand beach

Yeah I would advise to not do it yourself let alone try to have a little one do it.

10. Re: red sand beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 06:19