We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai or Molokai Day Trip

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai or Molokai Day Trip

We will be in Maui for a week in July (yay second time!). We would really like to visit Kauai but don't want to spend extra money staying the night since will be paying for hotel in Maui. Has anyone ever taken a day trip there and is it worth it to fly there early morning, rent a car, and leave that night? I know that would be a long day.

Or does a day trip to Molokai make more sense time-wise and financially? What does Molokai offer similar to Kauai?

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai or Molokai Day Trip

I would take Molokai for a day trip. You can take the ferry and rent a car or there may still be guides available. We have done this. The island is easier to see in a day ,IMHO.

Rogue River, Oregon
Level Contributor
337 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai or Molokai Day Trip

I have been to Molokai for a few days, but would never go back. I've been to Kauai for a few weeks, and I'd love to go back.

Molokai has been given the name "the friendly isle," but during our visit in the 1990s, it was the hostile isle. Young toughs on the eastern side made sure we (my wife and 2-year-old son and me) would never feel comfortable there.

And there is so much more to do on Kauai. Every coast of Kauai -- north, east, south and what little you can get to of the west -- is abundant with prime stuff to do and see. Then there's Waimea Canyon.

I know some people will say Molokai is the unspoiled island, but a few people there ruined it for us.

Jim

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,323 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai or Molokai Day Trip

Have you been to Maui before? With only a week, I would stay put to be honest - there is a ton to do and see there. Just plan a vacation to Kauai next time. :) I guess I would consider Molokai if it didn't eat up too much time . . . but I think I would recommend differently if you were on Maui longer.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai or Molokai Day Trip

Have you considered Lana'i if you want to visit another island? Take the ferry, it's an easier ride than the Molokai run, or book with the Trilogy all day trip.

Kauai ia just a major logistical problem for a 1 day visit...few direct flights, so you waste time sitting in Honolulu, the real gorgeous sights on the island are either north or south of the airport by 35 minutes to an hour by car.

Finally Kauai deserves it's "own" time to appreciate, unless you were on a cruise, It's really not a one day destination.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai or Molokai Day Trip

You can't quite compare Kauai to Molokai. Kauai is great island, and yes, absolutely deserves it's "own" time to appreciate. Just like you can't really visit Maui for just one day, you should book a vacation to Kauai for at least a week at another time.

I have spent a whole week on Molokai, but didn't really enjoy it that much, while it is quite a bit smaller than Kauai, it is still too big for an one day visit.

Mamma knows the best, you should look into an one day visit to Lanai. Lanai is a wonderful island for a day trip off of Maui. Lanai has great beach, great snorkeling, and it is very relaxing. Many boats go out there, and you can also take the ferry, which is less expensive. $60 round trip per person.

We have done the Lanai day trip twice, and would love to go again.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai or Molokai Day Trip

With only a week on Maui I would also say enjoy Maui more and skip a day trip. But if you really want to experience another Hawaiian island I would say Molokai. First off the flights getting to Kauai and back will chew up quite a bit of your day with most likely having to stop in Honolulu both ways.

I'm not sure of the Molokai of the 90's but we went there 3 years ago and though it's true there isn't a whole to do there every and I mean every person we met or saw was so friendly. And for just driving around exploring I found Molokai much more interesting than Lanai. Getting their can be interesting. I've heard the ferry can be rough. The plane ride, at least with Pacific Wings in their little puddle jumpers is quite a coaster ride. But the flight along the sea cliffs of Molokai is awe inspiring. I think the other airlines use bigger planes and the ride will probably be a little better.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,398 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai or Molokai Day Trip

I agree with the suggestion to go to Lanai. Kauai should wait for a separate trip.

I have been to both Molokai and Lanai several times and I think Lanai is actually much more interesting and lends itself better to a day trip. There is great snorkeling, hiking, cultural sites, unique wildlide viewing and photography opportunities, kayaking, and fun offroading. I return to Lanai at least once a year, and have tried to make my visits longer and longer each time.

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai or Molokai Day Trip

Thanks for the info, I will look into Lanai!

9. Re: Kauai or Molokai Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 05:17