We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report April 21-28 2013

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
119 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report April 21-28 2013

My wife and I (29 and 31) stayed at the Wailea Beach Marriott for a week and here is a trip report. I am open to questions if anyone has them, and I have or will be posting reviews for most of the restaurants and activities we did while we were there. We booked an Air-Hotel-Car package through Orbitz as they had the best price after extensive searching. We also stayed at the Wailea Marriott 4 years ago.

Sunday April 21

Arrived approx 8:15 PM, connected in HNL to Hawaiian Airlines for final leg into Maui. Walked off the plane and to baggage claim where our checked bag came right out, straight onto the Avis shuttle, and since it was later at night, there was no one in line at the Avis counter. We had our Ford Fusion v6 w/ leather 15 min after stepping off the plane. (In our reservation we had a compact/Ford Focus or similar listed, fusion was a step up but not sure where it would fall in their car types). Checked car for damage, took pictures of the whole car and we were off to the Hotel. Used googlemaps on Iphone (verizon had LTE coverage pretty everywhere on the west or south sides of Maui) but street signs and memory would have sufficed. Checked into Wailea Marriott no problem, room was ok, ground floor facing kids pool (this would be the south side of the resort) in Hale (building) 4. We didn't pay for an upgrade or anything to get a view, we really only used the room to sleep.

Monday April 22

Awoke bright and early (4am) due to east coast time change, took walk along beach path about 5 am. Ran to Safeway for snacks and some drinks, then to Longs Drug for a couple other things we forgot and also an inexpensive beach umbrella. Then to Cinnamon Roll Place/Fair for a cinnamon roll and breakfast sandwich, both of which were very good. Then went to Boss Frogs for snorkel gear (mentioned their website and got $5 off the $30 snorkel gear package) and beach chairs, $10 each for the week (when I called to ask about beach chairs, they said $15 per week, but only $10 when we got there). Hours say they open at 8am but we were there about 7:45 and they were open already. Back to hotel and got ready for the beach, went to Ulua beach just north of the Marriott. Snorkeled at the north end around the rocks, lots of fish but no turtles. Lunchtime headed up to Marriott pools for the rest of the afternoon. About 45 min of passing showers, we were under an umbrella so not a big deal but were a little worried about the rest of the week when checking weather. Went to Kihei Kalama Village Marketplace to poke around shops, then Sansei for Sushi dinner which was very good.

Tuesday April 23

Work up 2am to go to Haleakala sunrise. Took exactly 1.5 hrs to drive from the Wailea Marriott, were one of the first cars in the parking lot. Dressed warm but with 30 mph winds and 41 deg it was still very chilly. Didn’t stick around to explore, if we ever make it back we probably would go up during the day. On way down stopped at Kula Lodge for breakfast, got there about 5 min before it opened, one group ahead of us. Macadamia nut pancakes were excellent, also enjoyed the corned beef hash. Made it back to Marriott about 9 am. Weather was looking iffy but it cleared up and stayed clear the rest of the week. Rented a cabana at the adults only pool for the day and stayed till about 6:15 pm. Went to monkeypod for dinner, we split 3 appetizers and then went right to bed after early wakeup.

Wednesday April 24

Drove to Kaanapali for Trilogy Kaanapali Snorkel. Motored up to Honolua Bay, cloudy when we got there and it eventually started to rain, but after about 1.5 hours sun came out and turned into a nice day. Excellent snorkeling there, lots of fish and a couple turtles. Made another stop but was a little rough and snorkeling not as good, didn’t stay too long. Wind was blowing nice so they put the sails up for the trip back to Kaanapali. Saw a whale breaching in the distance, and eventually passed by him, probably 50-100 yards. Saw him breach at least 15 times, very impressive. Got back about 1:30, then parked in Lahaina to look around shops. A few people on the boat said cheeseburger in paradise gets a bad rap so we decided to grab an early dinner there. Burgers were ok, view was great, but I definitely preferred Kimo’s which we went to last trip. A few more shops then back to Wailea and bed.

Thursday April 25

Slept in a little later, 6 am, and took long walk on the beach path. Drove all the way down to La Perouse bay to see lava field, then back up to Maluaka Beach. Excellent beach, plenty room, bathrooms and showers, good snorkeling (but unfortunately no turtles). Stayed till about 1:30 pm when wind started picking up, back to Marriott pools by which time wind was really kicking. Drove to Paia for dinner at Mama’s Fish House, we thought it lived up to the hype and was worth it. Back to Marriott and to bed.

Friday April 26

Kihei Caffe for early breakfast, had macadamia nut french toast and macadamia nut pancakes, very good but preferred Kula Lodge ones by a hair. Met with Randy of Maui Hiking Safaris for his West Maui Waterfalls Hike. He worked with us to schedule it because we only called the day before and he was able to shift his schedule to take us out. Only the two of us and him, we got a great personalized experience and he is really a wealth of knowledge. Nice hike, great views and a good time. I highly recommend him. Coconuts Fish Café for fish tacos which were excellent. Back to hotel and pool in the afternoon. Late reservation at Sarento’s on the Beach, walked there from the Marriott. Very good dinner, excellent service. They called a taxi for us to take us back to the Marriott, $10 w/ tip.

Saturday April 27

Last full day, early morning at Ulua beach for snorkeling, midmorning back to pool and got the cabana again. Stayed all day, til about 630 pm. Worn out from lots of running around and had to pack. Got carry out dinner from Longhi’s in the shops at Wailea, decent Italian.

Sunday April 28th

Grabbed a quick breakfast at the hotel, finished packing, took one last stroll around the grounds. Left umbrella at parking garage of hotel with a sign saying “Free” so hope someone put it to good use. Dropped off snorkel gear and beach chairs then off to airport.

Mentioned in this post
Honolua Bay
Honolua Bay
730 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report April 21-28 2013

Aloha... It was nice to read your report so soon after you returned. Sounds like you really like the honu :) It was great that you were able to see the whale activity too. Enjoyed following your activities and meals. As a fellow east coaster I can totally relate to your schedule. Thanks for posting.

~Susan

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report April 21-28 2013

Thanks for the trip report! We are staying at the Marriott in November, so it was good to see that you liked the area/hotel enough to make a return trip. Thanks for the tip on Boss Frog's for the snorkle gear and beach chairs.

Level Contributor
37,627 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report April 21-28 2013

Very nice read.. aloha! :)

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,508 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report April 21-28 2013

Very nice trip report. Thank you for sharing!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,087 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report April 21-28 2013

Thanks for the report, bmorechris, sounds like a wonderful time!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report April 21-28 2013

Lovely trip report!! Thanks so much for taking the time to do it! Leaving in just less than a month for my 5th trip so I'm absorbing all the trip reports I can!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report April 21-28 2013

Thanks for the awesome trip report! You went to lots of the places I love and I cracked up over your Cheeseburgers in Paradise meal. We went there and I allowed myself to be talked into the expensive "refills forever" plastic cup...... No CB in P in Anchorage! My husband was annoyed and I use it to toss ice melt. We prefer Kimo's too! I envied all your beach time.....I miss the beaches the most! Deb

Texas
Level Contributor
858 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report April 21-28 2013

What a wonderful trip. You must have done your research! Thanks for sharing with us. I miss the beaches, too!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report April 21-28 2013

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts