We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy entry snorkling

Klamath Falls, OR
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Easy entry snorkling

Which beaches have the easiest entry for snorkeling in the Winter? We will be there in early January and will have some newbie snorklers with us. I want them to be able to see some good stuff without fighting any big waves or rough seas( I realize conditions change often so looking for some general recommendations). Only 243 days til paradise and planning and anticipation are half the fun.

Level Contributor
37,804 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy entry snorkling

We loved Kapalua Beach in the early morning. :)

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua Beach
Kapalua Beach
988 Reviews
Maui, HI
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy entry snorkling

We found Maluaka beach out in front of the Makena Beach Resort to be easy entry in the AM in the winter.

Mentioned in this post
Maluaka Beach
Maluaka Beach
321 Reviews
Maui, HI
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
778 Reviews
Maui, HI
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,675 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy entry snorkling

Ulua Beach in South Maui was great. My very favorite is Kapalua Bay in West Maui. If you snorkel early you accomplish two things: you beat the crowds and you usually have calm water.

I will recommend you rent wet suit jackets. January water temps are cool an a light wetsuit or a jacket will be more comfortable. At least that's what I thought!

Mentioned in this post
Ulua Beach
Ulua Beach
584 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
566 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy entry snorkling

It doesn't get much easier than Black Rock on Kaanapali beach. Walk in, swim about 75 yards and you're there.

Mentioned in this post
Black Rock
Black Rock
820 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,526 Reviews
Maui, HI
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
566 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy entry snorkling

Forgot to mention that no matter where you are and no matter how calm the sea appears, always be aware of ocean conditions (The rule is:Never turn your back on the ocean).

Many of Hawaii's beaches are crescent shaped and this often results in outgoing currents that can carry you away from the beach. Should you find yourself in this situation, do not attempt to swim against the current, rather swim parallel to the beach until you're out of the current and then swim to the beach.

I don't want to unduly alarm you about snorkeling, but you should have a good understanding of ocean safety especially with "newbies" in tow.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,626 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy entry snorkling

Again...it all depends on the day and swells. Kapalua can be really easy at times, but a lot of times in winter it can be no good. Before we got there in March, people were having good luck in the northwest such as Kapalua. When I was there it was either rough, or the visibility was really bad from being stirred up. Generally in winter the south and west is better, but this past winter was a weird one and it was opposite a lot. You have to make sure you find out the current conditions while there. Look at the top questions on the top right here...there is one about snorkeling. It tells you the easy entries from more difficult.

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy entry snorkling

In the winter months the best ocean conditions will be found in south Maui. Ulua or Maluaka Beaches will be perfect for you. Take a look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page. Click on "Where do I Snorkel"? It will give you all the info you are looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Ulua Beach
Ulua Beach
584 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maluaka Beach
Maluaka Beach
321 Reviews
Maui, HI
Klamath Falls, OR
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy entry snorkling

Thanks everyone for the recomendations.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
92 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy entry snorkling

Ditto all the above. But for easiest entry and shortest swim to a very pretty reef, you can't beat Airport Beach (aka Kahekili Beach), which is north of Kaanapali and across from the sugar cane train. Always a great site and usually has super visability. We love it!

mauiguidebook.com/beaches/…

Mentioned in this post
Kahekili Beach Park
Kahekili Beach Park
360 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,526 Reviews
Maui, HI
Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easy entry snorkling

Parking by the south beaches seems to be easier to find, too.