We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andaz Update

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Andaz Update

ChiSue asked about happenings at the new Andaz, and I thought I'd pull this out of the trip report thread to stand on its own.

....seems like we'd read that the construction was nearly done and it would be mostly landscaping while we were there. I only wish! There are several big buildings with scaffolding all around them, one with plywood cladding, one still being framed. And with metal 2x4's or whatever you call them. Know what that sounds like when they are cutting them? From 7am til 6 pm. At first I was worried about all the trucks--and why do they all have to drive around backwards, anyways? Then the nails-on-the-blackboard sawing started. Maybe they're cutting stone. Whatever, it was painful. All day long. I am no construction engineer, but I would think this looks like 4-6 months.

No plantscape visible yet when we walked by yesterday, so nothing green in yet. More "things" being put on top of roof of newest bldg, and makes me feel bad for the owners of the condo we're in as it sits square in their previous view of the ocean, and rooftop ventilation and stuff will not be pretty.

Aloha!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,229 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Andaz Update

Ah-hah! I see you took my assignment to heart. Thanks for the update. So sorry for the noise and your spoiled view! Can you see if any of the projected 'villas' are built? Any 'now hiring' signs?

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Andaz Update

Neither....but I'm not sure I'd recognize what they are calling a villa. Only the bigger buildings to the back look exteriorly (is that a word?) done.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Andaz Update

Very excited about this hotel. I stayed at the Andaz in London and there is one here in West Hollywood I've had dinner at. I think Hawaii needs more hotels like this.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,082 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Andaz Update

They had a job fair last weekend, looking for employees. Management has already been hired. The Pacific Business News say's they are still aiming for a "summer of 2013" opening. Remains to be seen, it seems!!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Andaz Update

We saw a truck with a couple big palm trees turn into the drive. Guess they are starting landscape on the north end.

As SB said, lots to be done especially on the south side view. I'm with you, l would think they are months out.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Andaz Update

I am in the planning sages for a trip to Maui, 6-7 nights, late Sept., early Oct. Has anyone seen any promos for pre-opening discounts for the Andaz?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Andaz Update

I did a full circle of the resort last week. I saw some buildings that definitely looked like they were the villas. In fact the villas were the only part of the property that looked nice. The main hotel wasn't as nice looking as I imagined. It's also very apparent that it will not be open by the summer... Not that I'm an expert or anything.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Andaz Update

The website says now accepting reservations for Sept. 15 and beyond.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
167 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Andaz Update

Remember summer doesn't end until September 21st!!

Edited: 12 May 2013, 04:16
Texas
Level Contributor
818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Andaz Update

Re making res. for the end of September, from what it sounds like, the hotel won't be open by then, despite its advertising; I'd make those reservations at the Andaz, be sure you know the cancel policy; book at another hotel for the same dates and know that cancel policy, so that you are covered if the Andaz is not open and really up and running--all of it--then you are covered.