We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re Kea Lani and Hyatt Maui

San Diego...
8 posts
Save Topic
Question re Kea Lani and Hyatt Maui

We are traveling to Maui in July with our 2 toddlers (2 and 4). We are currently staying 3 nights at the Hyatt Maui (connecting rooms) and then 4 nights at the Kea Lani in a 3BR oceanfront villa. Reason for the split stay was (1) that we thought the kids pool play area at the Hyatt looked like a lot of fun for our kids, (2) liked idea of being closer to Lahaina for a few nights, and (3) splitting stay helped our budget as the Kea Lani villa was much more expensive. We now have the opportunity to add one night at the Kea Lani (so 2 nights Hyatt/5 nights Kea Lani) for the same price we would pay for the night at the Hyatt.

My question is would you do this, is 2 nights in Kaanapali/Lahaina area enough, or do you think we will want the extra time there? I thought we would want the time, but I am especially tempted by spending more time in Wailea because our Hyatt rooms have a view of the construction and I'm reading very bad things about this and the noise (especially with toddlers that need to sleep). We do get into Maui early on our first day, so we would have at least part of that day to use in Kaanapali/Lahaina. Thanks very much for any advice.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re Kea Lani and Hyatt Maui

I would do the Kea Lani over the Hyatt in a heartbeat. We were at the Hyatt 2 1/2 years ago when they had construction going on and had to have them move us to the south building. The jack hammers were so loud you couldn't think. It's only a half hour or 45 minutes to Lahiana from Wailea so you could do another trip up there if you wanted. I much prefer south Maui over Kaanapali.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re Kea Lani and Hyatt Maui

For the same price I would definitely stay an extra night at the Fairmont.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re Kea Lani and Hyatt Maui

I would do the Kea Lani as well. While I do like the Kaanapali area and always stay north of there in Kapalua, I think you will see the area in the couple days and be happier settled into the villa. With kids the ages of yours, it will be more convenient and calmer to be in the villa. I am not a fan of the Hyatt- too busy for me, but your kids will love the parrots and penguins. Many people do love the Hyatt though- just what is right for me :). The Kea Lani is very nice and we always stayed there before we switched to the northwest side....our kids are older, so we prefer to stay up there to snorkel. Have a great trip! We will be there in July also!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question re Kea Lani and Hyatt Maui

"View of the construction?" Huh, yeah, I would take the extra night at the Kea Lani. Speaking of pools, don't miss the hot tubs at those two places, not for the kids, of course.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,719 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question re Kea Lani and Hyatt Maui

We like the Hyatt and stayed there 3 nights last Aug. and a week at the Honua Kai. We didn't have construction going on then, so no complaints. We did bring our granddaughter and she loved the Hyatt more than the the HK, which was fabulous.

Hard to compete with the penquins, parrots, koi fish and that swinging rope bridge. The pool system for kids was great.

How do you know you will have a view of the construction, they usually don't make up the room list until you arrive. Couldn't you ask for another room in one of the 3 buildings?

Level Contributor
36,349 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question re Kea Lani and Hyatt Maui

Construction noise is very annoying while on vacation! I would do the Kea Lani! Aloha and have fun! :)

Edited: 09 May 2013, 17:38
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question re Kea Lani and Hyatt Maui

Don't change your plans. Don't second-guess yourself. Use your time at the Hyatt to see that part of the Island and enjoy Ka'anapali and Lahaina as well. Then shift to Kea Lani.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,719 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question re Kea Lani and Hyatt Maui

From Hyatt Maui Facebook: "The construction is a new Hyatt vacation ownership property between the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa and the Marriott Ocean Villas. We are fully operational and the construction has no impact on the resort's pool, restaurants, activities, spa, etc. The rooms that face the construction are offered at a special rate due to the obstructed view."

dada1,

There are three buildings to the Hyatt. So obviously the Napili Tower is the one with construction on the back side facing the Marriott.

Did you book your room at the special rate, so that's how you know you will be facing construction and not pool or beach? Is there a way you can upgrade and move to one of the other buildings? All the current photos on FB look great, nothing going on around the Lobby, restaurants and pools. I'd still give it a shot, workers tend to quit early in the afternoon.

For us, this is great news. We are Hyatt Vacation Owners in Lake Tahoe, they do outstanding properties, and we've been hearing about the Maui location for some time. I'm glad to hear it's started, though you always wonder why they don't wait until after summer to begin construction. I guess in Hawaii, it doesn't matter when they start, the weather is nice all year.

www.bywindkal.com/Hyatt/Maui/Aerial.html

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question re Kea Lani and Hyatt Maui

Yes, construction is year round here, no waiting till summer. Summer is the busiest time in the islands, you want to try to get things done BEFORE these months!!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question re Kea Lani and Hyatt Maui

My question for the Hyatt is "where do you park" . They were always short of parking and now with

another tower being built it would make it worse . They were renting parking from the Marriott for

a while but i don't know if they still are. Then when it is complete they would need more employee and visitors and beach access parking.