We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 5 or so (who's counting?)

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day 5 or so (who's counting?)

....not me, because we are on the "sunset" side of our trip and I don't want to think about it being over! We have been at Elua Villas these past several days. Our villa is very lovely and very spacious,and very comfortable. But, a few issues. The noise from the Andaz construction truly drives us away from this property every day. And frankly, being on Ulua Beach and the pretty Elua grounds and pools and views are why we booked here. And our view, also frankly, isn't what we'd hoped for. We are pretty far back and have a big roofline in front of us (and a great view of the construction!) but only filtered ocean views to the sides. Elua is a gorgeous property, but after our drop-dead views at Kapalua Bay Villas, I think we overpaid for what we got. I have to admit that we are pretty spoiled--we have a lovely lake and skyline of Seattle view from our house, so we have high standards to beat when we go on vacation (whine). So many of our friends love Elua and highly recommended it, but to be closer to the beach and have better views would really cost a pretty penny here. Doubt we'll return unless we find a grand bargain.

That said, we've really enjoyed our evenings here at Elua--been grilling fish or bringing take out back to our place and either eating on the lanai or going down to one of the lovely grassy areas that overlook Ulua Bay for sunset dinners.

We did do Coconuts fish tacos last night. They were better than Hula Grill, but we think Honokawaii Fish Market is the winner, for both tacos and poke. Other than that we've been packing lunches, eating papaya and apple bananas for breakfast--pretty simple. Strolled to post-dinner drinks at Tommy Bahamas last night. Good mai tai, better jalapeno-tequila margarita for my husband. May need to do that again before we leave, though I like the Monkeypod mai-tais better. Also did a quick post-snorkel iced tea and lettuce wrap stop today at Cafe on the Green. Very nice respite from the hot beach. Their business is very slow due to golf course closure that they are very happy to have company! Tonight is dinner and Willie K at Mulligans! Excited to see him!

We had lots on our list of things to do, yet "all" we are doing so far is relaxing, reading, and exploring good snorkel spots. Due to the rains on Monday, things have been a little silty, but we've had perfect weather and wonderful fish and coral at Ulua, Ahihi Cove (milky in the shallows), the Dumps (sooo many fish), and today, Maluaka in front of Makena Beach and Golf Club. Followed a cute little red and white feathery looking critter for awhile, and discovered it was a juvenile rock mover wrasse. Looks completely different from his grown up self. Saw many turtles today, and a couple of really good sized pellagic-type fish--like small tuna or wahoo. Had a couple of heart-racing scares: put my head up to check on location, and when I put my face back in the water, a big turtle glided from behind about 2 feet right under me. Once I realized what it was, very cool, but seeing something big like that so close was a little scary! And later, we were floating above a huge (truly, maybe 1000?) school of what I think are goat fish. Many lounging on the bottom, many sub-schools swimming around....and all of the sudden, they darted. Every one of them gone in an instant. We looked at each other. Why?? We swam back towards the beach with one eye behind us the whole way, wondering what spooked the fishies...

We also spent an amazing afternoon at Big Beach, way at the southern tip, where we had a little slice of personal paradise out on the sandy point. The surf was high and gorgeous and we had our own private little turtle show for about an hour--6 or so turtles were body-surfing, or so it looked, just about 20 feet in front of us.

Tomorrow we may snorkel in front of Makena Surf and try Ulua again. Or we may opt to do upcountry day. We'll see what the sunrise brings!

Question: Saturday we check out by 11am; flight is at 2pm. Thinking about a quick aloha brunch before we turn the car in....Paia? Any interesting ideas? My husband is actually considering we drive to Honokawaii Fish Market! (no, dear)

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,622 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 5 or so (who's counting?)

Great snorkeling! Those huge turtles can be a heart stopper. Smart move heading back to the shore when the fish all zoomed away.

Enjoy your last night with great entertainment. Have fun planning for the last meal, it helps easy the pain of leaving.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 5 or so (who's counting?)

Yup I hear you on the view, I'm another who has to see the water! Haha, while amazing, you are right on the Fish Market!

Please allow 2 hours at OGG for check-in for Hawaiian flight 22, our go-to flight back to Seattle.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 5 or so (who's counting?)

Sounds like your having a great trip BOO! on leaving.

We have 3 full days in SF on our way home which will lessen the pain of having to leave Maui.

The only place we have eaten in Paia is Flatbread Company it was very good we really enjoyed it.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 5 or so (who's counting?)

Sounds like you're having a great trip so far, mahalo for the trip update!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 5 or so (who's counting?)

Wish we were out there snorkeling, too!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 5 or so (who's counting?)

You know you are on Aloha time when you begin to lose track of the days. Sounds like you're having a memorable vacation. Thanks for posting.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 5 or so (who's counting?)

Thanks for keeping us up to date with your trip. Sounds like a great time.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 5 or so (who's counting?)

Wonderful snorkeling going on there. Wish I was there too. What spooked those fish? Could have been any number of things, you perhaps or a barracuda?!! Anyway, I love the juvenile rock movers, their so cute!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 5 or so (who's counting?)

Great report.

Where did you see the school of fish?

What was your favorite snorkeling spot?

It would be great if you can share pictures especially of the fish you saw.

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 5 or so (who's counting?)

The big school of goatfish was at Maluaka Bay, as we're most of our turtle sightings. We didn't do the underwater camera thing, though I would have liked to...and since we're leaving stuff on the beach when we snorkel, haven't often brought our dry land camera. Sorry to disappoint, but this is not one of those beautifully illustrated trip reports.