We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What size of rental car??

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
What size of rental car??

Ho there...we will be coming in August for 3 weeks and already have a full sized car booked through DHCR. However, I've been reading about getting the smallest car that we can be comfortable in due to parking spot size and gas consumption.

I can save some money by going down to compact, and a bit more money by going all the way down to an economy. BUT...there are 4 of us...2 adults (hubby, the driver, is 6 feet tall) and 2 girls, 12 and 17 (so not quite full grown, but close). So...how small is a midsize or economy?? Should we stick with full size?? What are your thoughts??

For any families of 4...what car did you find the most suitable?

Thanks.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,924 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What size of rental car??

With 4, I would probably get a midsize. Also depends on how your family packs. :)

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What size of rental car??

When my husband and I were alone, we got the compact - it was a Ford Focus - it was pretty small and tight. I would recommend at least one size up like a Corolla that might be considered a mid-size. We are a family of four driver over 6 feet, kids 20 and 9 - we are getting a full-size this time as we know that a Corolla would be fine for 2 but 4 is to tight for us. We got our full-size for less than the compact - I think because they are less desired.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What size of rental car??

Personally, we have to have an SUV. We have 2 teenage sons. One is 13 and 5'10 and the other is 14 and 6'1" so a small car just won't work for us. In the past trips, we've been a family of 5 (my oldest is off to school) so also did the SUV eeven when they were smaller just to make sure we had enough room.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,698 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What size of rental car??

Even getting luggage to and from the airport in anything smaller then an SUV is a problem AND if you plan on doing much driving at all, and you will, the kids will thank you.

I drive the large SUV's or mini-vans every year and manage to park all over the island. Are the small spaces a pain? Yes, but I just let everyone out and then park so only I have to squeeze out.

We've discovered that having comfortable passengers trumps a few extra bucks...had to "unfold" my 6'3 son once. Never again.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What size of rental car??

Stick with the full-size.

Texas
Level Contributor
821 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What size of rental car??

Full size and smaller-sized suitcases (almost easier to put two small cases in a trunk than one large case); harder to fit in the larger-sized suitcases in the trunk and then have to work around them.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What size of rental car??

Some companies have a "standard" size. At times those can be the same price as the full size, but some companies will give you a slight break. Standard would be a Dodge Avenger in stead of the full size Challenger. Ford Fusion Mid size, Ford Taurus Full size.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What size of rental car??

Thank you all for your replies!!

When we need rental cars at home, we usually get a full size and almost always are given a Nissan Altima. It seems to well for us and we have a decent size trunk for suitcases. We own a minivan and are used to having lots of room, so even a full size is an adjustment for us.

We did a two week road trip a few months ago in an Altima and found it to be a good size, which is why we went with that size for Maui. But, I got a little concerned when I read about very slim parking spaces...is that really a concern?

I think for now we will stick with a full sized. Thanks for the advice.

Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What size of rental car??

We rent a full size every year...always get an Altima, and we've never had any problems parking it.

10. Re: What size of rental car??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 06:19