We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Molikini?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Molikini?

So far we have snorkeled Ulua beach, Airport beach and Honolua bay as well as other spots in between. We also did the Trilogy discover Lanai cruise and snorkeled the bay at the beach just across from the harbour in Lanai. My question...are we missing much if we skip going to Molikini? The whole crater thing sounds very cool but I'm wondering if it would seem worth it to pay for that considering what we've already seen and done.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Molikini?

I don't think it is worth it. Molokini does have exceptionally clear water but it truly lacks unique reef formations. Have you snorkeled at 5 graves/5 caves yet? That is one of my favorites.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,054 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Molikini?

I go out to Molokini for two reasons: The boat ride and the clarity of the water. Unless you really want to get out on a boat again, I'd say skip it. Snorkel Maluaka and/or Moanakala ("the dumps) instead.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,111 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Molikini?

It's known for being really crowded.

San Jose
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Molikini?

"It's known for being really crowded."

Good point. That's one thing that can spoil even the best of places. Not to mention the potential for damage to the environment and animals makes me cringe.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Molikini?

Thanks for the replies. We were already thinking of skipping Molikini and it helps to have confirmation from you all. As for the other suggestions, where is that 5 caves place? Sounds cool. Also, we had heard that the dumps is closed but it is still on the maps. anyone know for sure?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Molikini?

Like msfuzz, I go (primarily) for the boat ride. The crater is cool and the water clarity awesome, but there is better snorkeling all over Maui.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,111 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Molikini?

Msfuzz is our Maui snorkeling guru. If she doesn't respond to this thread, send her a message.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,054 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Molikini?

Moanakala, aka "the dumps" is one of the very few places you can still snorkel at in the Ahihi-Kinau Are Reserve. Take a look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page. Under snorkeling Trip Report you will find directions to 5 caves/graves. If you want to snorkel Moanakala, go south on Makena Alanui Rd. After you pass Ahihi Cove (noted by snorkelers right there on the side of the road) go up the hill and look for a parking lot on your right. It's a large unimproved parking lot. After parking, walk towards the ocean to the end of the lot. There, on your left hand side you will see a trail. Follow this short trail and you will end up at Moanakala. Entry into the water is on the far left hand side as you are facing the ocean. There is a little area of black sand.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Molikini?

Molokini does have nice reef formations and clear water.

Out of all the snorkeling locations we have been last month we liked Molokini for this reason.

The coral was colorful especially closer to crater wall and very colorful too.

It can get crowded and you spend only 30 minutes in water so it may not be worth the time and money for an experienced snorkeler who has options close to shore.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Molikini?

I googled 5 graves and it seems the folks down at the internet think that several white tipped reef sharks live in that area. I don't know much about that particular shark but swimming with sharks isn't high on my priority list and kinda freaks me out. Can anyone confirm or deny this little tidbit of info?