We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best snorkel cruises? Molokai or lanai?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Best snorkel cruises? Molokai or lanai?

We will be in Maui (Kahana Village) for the first week of July with our 13 year old daughter.

We would like to take a snorkel cruise. Just wondering....best cruise companies?

Molokai or lanai....which is better for beginners?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best snorkel cruises? Molokai or lanai?

Love Trilogy Tours - read the description of their tours and see what fits best for your family. I have done the Discover Lanai tour twice and it is fantastic. But you might want a shorter tour.

http://www.sailtrilogy.com/

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,686 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best snorkel cruises? Molokai or lanai?

Molokai is usually a half day, or even less. The Lanai trip is an all day affair, and lots of food too! Well, it is if you go with Trilogy! Can't vouch for the other tour companies as I have only done the Lanai trip with Trilogy. With the Lanai trip, you can take the van tour to see more of the island as well. Or just stay at the beach and spend more time snorkeling.

As far as the beginners, the crew are amazing with newbies, and there is always someone in the water as well, keeping an eye on everyone.

Hope you have a great time!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best snorkel cruises? Molokai or lanai?

Very few people take snorkeling tours out to Molokai. Are you sure you aren't mixing that up with Molokini? Personally, I think going to Lanai is a bit much for "newbies". I would take one that goes somewhere closer and not quite as long. Thats an awful lot of money to spend not knowing what the end result would be.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,686 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best snorkel cruises? Molokai or lanai?

Good catch msfuzz... I even typed Molokai, and knew it was most likely Molokini!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best snorkel cruises? Molokai or lanai?

Yes...of course you are correct! I did mean Molokini-I didn't realize my mistake until after post and couldn't figure out how to edit the title.

Anyway-we do want to take cruise to somewhere to snorkel and didn't know which would be the better fit-Molokini or Lanai? I was looking at Trilogy and it look like the Lanai trip ends up being all day. Wondering if Molokini would be better. Or is there another suggested option?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best snorkel cruises? Molokai or lanai?

I love snorkeling Molokini and it would be a good place for beginners. It does, however, get rather crowded. The water clarity is unsurpassed on Maui though!! If you don't want to go out there, look at the Trilogy Lahaina Snorkel Tour. Trilogy is outstanding when it comes to new snorkelers and kids. Where are you staying? There are different boats that leave from different areas of the island.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best snorkel cruises? Molokai or lanai?

Thx msfuzz. We are staying at Kahana Village.

Trilogy has two departures. Just curious-do you think it would be more crowded at the earlier time-people wanting calm waters? Or the later departure-people want to sleep in!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best snorkel cruises? Molokai or lanai?

I always do any snorkeling as early in the morning as I can. That is the time you will find optimum conditions. The trades pick up in the late morning hours, which makes for choppy seas. I've never gone on a later one so can't tell you!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best snorkel cruises? Molokai or lanai?

Thx-I was guessing earlier is better.

So-I'm looking at Trilogy, Paragon, and Teralani. There is quite a price difference (150.00 for three of us) between these three companies. I know there are a lot of good comments about Trilogy. Just wondering any opinions about the other two?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best snorkel cruises? Molokai or lanai?

Lanai is a long sail and a long day. You might want to consider Trilogy's "Discover Ka'anapali" sail instead.