We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Maui - Trip Report DAY 1

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
First time Maui - Trip Report DAY 1

Love reading everyone's trip reports while preparing for our first Maui vacation so I am doing a small one of my own. We aren't getting to do a whole lot on our own since we are here for my husband's work but we are loving it so far!

We arrived at OGG yesterday afternoon. Flew American through DFW. If you are a fellow Diet Coke addict like myself, then you will want to avoid this airport at all costs. No Coke products on property. Ack! Luckily the flight attendants were able to get me a couple of cans during the 8 hour flight. I call that stuff Diet Crack for a reason.

We arrived at OGG on time at 3:15 pm. Got our bags and headed to Budget. We had rented a car thru DHCR thanks to your recommendations. We had reserved at full size but decided to upgrade to a Jeep so we could take the top down while exploring. Swung into the Kmart on our way out of Kuhului to get some last minute items - water shoes, sunscreen, bug spray, the all important Diet Coke, etc.

Our first 3 nights we are on our own, and since we have 4 kids, 3 of which are in catholic school with tuition, we are on a budget for this part. After much research we went with the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. We got the "Aloha Special" of $160 per night. Not bad since the add-on "discounted" rate for rooms at the work conference hotel was a $400.

Got the KBH and happily surprised to see we got a complimentary upgrade to partial ocean view. I'll take it! And we like the hotel. For people like us who are used to staying at Hampton Inns and the like, it's perfectly fine. The grounds are lovely and the employees very friendly. The buildings are a bit older but for $160 per night we can live with it. The Kaanapali area is beautiful, we love the walking path along the beach, just wish it was a bit wider. Our early morning walk to the Starbucks was quite treacherous with all the runners.

We were so tired when we checked it but absolutely starving! By then it was nearing 11 pm our time, We wanted something cheap so we headed over to Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina. Got a parking spot right in front and were seated immediately, just in time to watch a gorgeous sunset! Food was hearty and filling, had a Mai Tai and a Dirty Banana. The Dirty Banana was my favorite. And of course the fountain Diet Coke tasted like heaven! Afterward we drove back to the hotel and crashed. It was about 9:00 by then, but 2 am to our bodies.

Stay tuned for Day 2....

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,355 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Maui - Trip Report DAY 1

Staying tuned...sounds great so far!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Maui - Trip Report DAY 1

Like your writing style. and thank for the warnings on places that don't have diet Coke.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Maui - Trip Report DAY 1

Wow, great deal at KBH! Thanks for the report - looking forward to reading more about your trip.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time Maui - Trip Report DAY 1

Glad your enjoying your trip Maui is wonderful.

I am a Diet Coke fan too bet they had Pepsi at the airport in Dallas yuk.

Looking forward to the rest of your TR.

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time Maui - Trip Report DAY 1

Love the KBH! Have fun!!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time Maui - Trip Report DAY 1

Love your trip report......you literally made me crack up over the diet coke remarks because our son is a total addict. I don't think he has ever drank alcohol in all his 23 years, but the kid can down a case of that stuff quick! And we will be staying at the KBH this fall for two nights and I agree with you........I picked KBH cause it just seemed like it would fit us! We are not resort type people, but we wanted to be in the middle of the action. The beach path is not very wide from our experience so good luck with that situation.....:-)))! Looking forward to more....Deb

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First time Maui - Trip Report DAY 1

Is it just you and your husband or are the kids with?

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time Maui - Trip Report DAY 1

Sounds awesome... thanks for the report! :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time Maui - Trip Report DAY 1

Thanks for writing a report! Can't wait to hear more!

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time Maui - Trip Report DAY 1

As a fellow Diet Coke afficionado :-), I HATE DFW airport. I fly there all the time for work. The worst is when I have an early flight back to NJ and they only have the dreaded Diet Pepsi for my breakfast drink. I was able to get Diet Coke (or at least Coke Light, which is the international version) when I was in Nairobi airport on business, for heaven's sake. Wake up DFW...LOL

Enjoying your trip report! We have our first trip to Maui in November.