We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking distances in Napili

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Walking distances in Napili

We're staying at the Mauian and the Napili Kai during our trip and my question is for those of you familiar with that area.

I have done the requisite Googling, but what Google maps tells you vs. the actual reality of navigating to & fro on foot can vary! So-how far afield can we go without getting in the car and reparking? Can we walk to the snorkeling at Kapalua? To Merriman's? To the Ritz-Carlton(spa)? Is that all possible to do along the beach, or would we be walking along the roadway? I've read that Napili Market is walkable-I am guessing the Snorkel Bob's is in the same complex. How about those other casual eateries around there? Walk 'em?

You guys have posted about a (paved?) walkway/trail that goes from at least the Napili Kai northward to IIRC Kapalua-can it be accessed from the beach?

Thanks again!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,015 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking distances in Napili

I'm not sure where the Mauian is located but Kapalua Bay is right next door to the Napili Kai Resort. The market is down the road a bit but very walkable. You will walk along the road as there are lava outcroppings that you don't want to cross over between Napili Bay and Kapalua Bay. Merriman's sits on a cliff above Kapalua Bay. The Ritz is a bit north but within walking distance also.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking distances in Napili

Thanks Ms.Fuzz!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,173 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking distances in Napili

The Mauian in on Napili Bay, behind the Mauian on the Lower Honoapiilani Rd is a small group of shops, a Whalers General (convenience store), Snorkel Bob's and a couple of others. The Napili Market is located in a shopping strip (Napili Plaza) on the corner of Napilihau St and Hwy 30..probably about 1 & 1/2 miles but the L.H. Road , which is how you would walk there,is very narrow with no shoulder, only a small path on the side so be very cautious if you walk this.

The Gazabo for lunch and breakfast is located on the southend of Napili Bay.

To get to Kapalua Bay from the Mauian, you might can cut through the parking lot of the Napili Kai.

Merriman is located between Napili Kai and Kapalua Bay.

Once you get to the lobby door of the Napili Kai you will have a nice side walk to the Ritz, but instead, at least once, take the Kapalua Costal Trail that starts at the Bay and goes along the coast then up the hill and through the Ritz grounds to DT Fleming Bay, it's marked and open to the public.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking distances in Napili

Thanks Barefoot. You all are the best!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking distances in Napili

Snorkel Bob's is right next door to the Napili General Store which is right next door to the building that houses the studio condos at Napili Sunset.

Yeah I'm not sure I would walk to the Napili Market either the road is as Barefoot says and definitelyhas no sidewalks.

Love the Gazebo get the breakfast fried rice. We are staying in Honokowai next month and the Gazebo is a definite for at least one morning. The Sea House at Napili Kai has a great HH daily 2-5pm and has lots of drinks and pupus to pick from on their HH menu.

We stayed in Napili on our last trip and would've picked there for next month but we needed a 2 bedroom this time and the ones there were over our budget.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking distances in Napili

Thanks Uncmom!

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking distances in Napili

You don't mention what time of the year you will be there, so weather can play a part in whether you walk--and carry groceries, equipment, etc.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking distances in Napili

We're going to be there in 3 weeks! :-D

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking distances in Napili

Whenever we are on Maui, we stay in Napili but at the south end of the bay at N. Shores. Everyone above has given good advice, but I'll add a few more details since we do a fair amount of walking when we are there.

There is a paved beach-side walkway between the Mauian and Napili Kai, so getting to Kapalua Beach, the Coastal Trail and Kapalua Resort area is easy by just walking through the NK grounds to the Kapalua Beach parking lot or to the nice wide sidewalks of Kapalua Resort. We've walked to DT Fleming (via the Coastal Trail) as well as all the way up to Honolua Store.

As mentioned, there is a convenience store and Snorkel Bob's located near the middle of Napili Bay area (from LH Road the entrance is at Napili Village). There is a sidewalk from NK and the Mauian along LH Road along the northern portion of Napili, then it turns into a dirt path near Hui Drive.

From Napili Shores south, the walk is not for the faint of heart! But I've done it several times to pick up a few things at Napili Market or the other shops at Napili Plaza. There are blind corners and short stretches with no shoulder for a path. I would stop, look and listen for traffic at these spots, then quickly cover that portion to get back to a spot with a wider shoulder to walk on. I wouldn't want to do this with bags of groceries (we used a small backpack), and definitely only during the daytime! Please stay safe if you decide to try this.

Merriman's, the Gazebo and the Sea House (which I like for breakfast, too - nice variety for similar price as Gazebo and no long lines!) are all very close. Walking along the beach to the Gazebo is a good workout as the sand is soft and you sink in. Taking the road is longer, but easier.

Have a great time!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking distances in Napili

The Mauian is directly on the beautiful sandy beach of Napili Bay.

You can walk next door to the Napili Kai resort for massage.

The small general store, snorkel rental and beauty salon are right next door.

The Sea House restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, happy hour and dinner.

At the other end of your bay is the Gazebo restuarant on the Napili Shores property. They are open for

brfst and lunch.

There are no sidewalks on portions of Honoapiilani Road. Lots of blind corners and driveways. Generally I would only walk North where there are sidewalks.

On the water there is a ocean front rocky path thru Napili Kai resort and a neat old small graveyard by the public parking lot.