We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui and Kauai for Honeymoon

New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Maui and Kauai for Honeymoon

We are trying to split up our nights for our honeymoon in October to Maui and Kauai...Wonder if we should do 5 nights in each or 6 and 4 and if so 6 nights in Maui or Kauai. We don't always like to sit by the pool and do like to get out and explore the islands. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui and Kauai for Honeymoon

Both islands have lots of places to explore. I would split the stay 5 and 5. Read the FAQ listed on the side of the forum to give you ideas of what you would want to see on each island.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,934 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui and Kauai for Honeymoon

Wow, lucky you!! Split it evenly!! Read this forum, check out the menu's on the top and right hand sides of this page. Check out the Kauai forum too. Make sure you rent a car on each island.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui and Kauai for Honeymoon

At least 5 on the first island you will visit (you will reach late on day 1 tired).

I would propose

Day 1- Day 6 - this is 5 nights but only 4 full days and 2 half days so about 5 days - travel mid afternoon to Kauai to catch Poipu sunset

Day 6 evening - Day 11 evening - 5 nights Kauai - this will be 5 full days and one evening

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,070 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui and Kauai for Honeymoon

5 and 5

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,885 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui and Kauai for Honeymoon

and I would do Maui first and Kauai second. :)

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui and Kauai for Honeymoon

Before you decide if 6-4 or 5-5 is best, have you looked at different activities and sights that each island has and see if you need an extra day on one of the island that has more items on a .. "we would like to do this list".

New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui and Kauai for Honeymoon

Thank you for all the responses. I will review some of the activities on each of the islands

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui and Kauai for Honeymoon

The prettiest part of Kauai is north. If you're coming in late October, you might want to stay there first, then Maui. There is more to do/see on Maui IF you want to do it. Do reserve your cars EARLY for best pricing.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,885 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui and Kauai for Honeymoon

While I also think that the prettiest part of Kauai is the northshore, I don't agree that there is more to do on Maui - any island can keep you busy for weeks at a time . . . and with 5 days on each island, you honestly won't have time to run out of things to do - you will more likely struggle with finding a balance to not do too much! :)

beachbum3737
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui and Kauai for Honeymoon

My fiance and I are also doing Maui and Kauai in October. We arrive in Maui around 3PM the Monday after our wedding and will be there for 6 nights. Sunday afternoon we travel to Kauai for 5 nights. We fly back to the east coast on a red-eye on Friday. We chose this arrangement to split our time as evenly as possible as it gives us 5 full days on each island. Have you decided where you are staying on each island yet?