We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November in Maui?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
November in Maui?

We are planning to finally get to Maui for our anniversary this year - in mid-November. Does November bring any cautions about staying up in West Maui? Should we be looking at Kihei instead?

Also, if November is good and because we live in the valley, my DH wants ocean view/front for our break. Does anyone have feedback for Pohailani? I like what I have found there, I'm having trouble figuring out whether its location means driving for absolutely everything. We are not high-rise people, so thinking Kaanapali is out? Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated. I am surprised at how much accommodation is already booked up for that time of year! November used to be a cakewalk.

Mahalo

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November in Maui?

The weather north of Kaanapali gets progressively wetter the further you go. Most like the weather of the north shore of Kauai. The complex you mention is in Kahana, about as far north as I would go in November. It's only a 10 minute drive into Kaanapali and 15 into Lahaina. There are places to eat and shop in the area and just a bit down the road in Honokawai. The best, most consistent ocean conditions will be found in south Maui (the Kihei area) at this time.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November in Maui?

Thanks, msfuzz. I wondered. Living in Lawai, we see PLENTY of rain at that time of year - DH has gently suggested he would appreciate something different for our trip!

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: November in Maui?

We've stayed in West Maui several times over Thanksgiving week - late

November - and we've always had nice weather. It's considered a transitional month I've read and can get rainy but we've had very little. Maybe lucky :) We stayed even one Thanksgiving at Kapalua where it was cloudy with a few showers for the first day or two then cleared up for the rest of the week.

We prefer West Maui and I'd probably stay there any time of year :) South Maui is nice too though - Here's a map that shows annual rainfall, if you dig around you' can probably find one that breaks it down for November:

hawaiigaga.com/Images/islands/island_map_2_s…

have a great time

Dave

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November in Maui?

We've only stayed West Maui so far but our first trip was in march 2011 we stayed in Napili and had wonderful weather so I guess really just depends on the weather gods LOL.

We are staying in Honokowai next month but really do want to try out south Maui maybe the next next trip.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November in Maui?

Before we fell in Love with Kauai we used to visit Maui, We stayed at a place called Punahoa Beach Apartments in Kihei. It's on a little side street off the main drag.It is ocean front and reminds me of a much smaller Kuhio Shores. Probably built at the same time. Check that out.

Littleton, CO
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: November in Maui?

We were in Maui two years ago for our anniversary in November, and we thought the Napili area was great. It only rained a few times, and not for long periods of time.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: November in Maui?

November is the beginning of the rainy season. It is more likely to be raining in West Maui in November than in South Maui. Also, in late November around Thanksgiving is the Maui Invitational basketball tournament in Lahaina which usually makes that side pretty hectic. Your likelihood of better weather at that time would be in Kihei/Wailea. Just sayin', based on 20 years of experience, not one time visiting luck.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 06:42
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: November in Maui?

That's pretty much true. Other than the windward side of the island (think Hana area) and Wailuku, the Napili area gets the most rain in November, around 3 inches for the month. You also have to take into consideration that Maui is still in a drought. The Hawaiian islands just came through the driest "wet season" in 30 years. I've been in that area in November in pouring rain. I've also been there when the sun was shining bright. Just take in the fact that there is a good chance of rain in Napili in November.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 20:36
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: November in Maui?

Been to Ka'anapali mid-November several times for anniversaries. No rain. December was a different story ...

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: November in Maui?

True for Napili mzfuzz, but come down a just little to Kaanapali and Lahaina and it's much less. Here's a chart where you can pick a month and get the averages for temp and rainfall for several areas. Surprise - Lahaina actually gets a smidge less rain than does Kihei in November. (I think Kaanapali is a bit higher than either) But like BLBL said that changes in December and definitely January

http://www.kaanapalidreamin.com/climate.php

Dave