We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations Advice???

Lockport, Illinois
Level Contributor
86 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodations Advice???

I'm in the process of researching a Maui June 2014 vacation. There is so much information online, I'm more confused than when I started :) I appreciate any advice you can offer. It will just be myself and my 13 year old daughter. I think I'm leaning towards 9 nights because I think we'll be exhausted from our travel from Chicago and need time to adjust to the 5 hour time difference. We will be renting a car. I'm stuck between South Maui and West Maui, but am leaning towards West Maui. Any thoughts on that?

Here's our wish list:

2 beds (could be a king + sofa bed)

Great pool

Beach (I love to snorkel, but we could just do a snorkeling excursion.)

Restaurant on site

Clean & well maintained

Would love an ocean view, but can be flexible on this

Would love to keep it around $4000 (inclusive of tax, resort fees, etc), but can go a tad over

A part of me is leaning more towards a resort than condo - I cook 5-6 days/week all year - I really don't want to cook much on vacation. If it's a condo, hopefully there will be lots of restaurants nearby.

Once I book airfare and accommodations, I'm sure I'll be back on here looking for trip ideas :)

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodations Advice???

Well I know mostly about West Maui as we always stay there....I'd suggest you look into the Sheraton, Honua Kai, Westin Villas, maybe the Ritz Carlton.....

Dave

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodations Advice???

Honua Kai, Westin Villas and Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas are good starting points. Both the HK and the Westin Villas are condos with resort amenities.

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodations Advice???

We loved Napili Kai Beach resort with our kids when they were about that age. Very "aloha" sort of place, not too big, not too small; none of the buildings on Napili Bay are taller than the coconut palms, so very lovely, lowkey area. A variety of room types, but most have some sort of kitchen features so you can at least store some snacks, breakfast food, sandwich fixin's. We've been there twice in June and love the weather up at Kapalua--occasional little misty rain squalls that last about 5 minutes, cool you off, and leave you often with a rainbow! Good snorkeling at Napili and nearby Kapalua beaches, fun beach to play in the waves, good onsite--as well as nearby offsite--restaurants for a little variety. Have fun with your daughter!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,871 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodations Advice???

I wouldn't discount a condo right away. It would be nice to have the extra room, even if there are only two of you. And yes, the kitchen is handy for breakfasts, especially if your daughter is going to sleep in every morning! At least you can enjoy some fruit and coffee on the lanai while waiting for her to rise.

And we often made our picnic lunches. Not only saves you money, but you don't waste time looking for a place to eat. If at a nice beach, there is no need to leave it to go grab a bite to eat. Buy a collapsible cooler and one of this little blue ice back things. A great investment, and you will get some great use out of it.

Check out vrbo for private rentals. Some will charge a cleaning fee, others waive it if you are staying longer than 5 nights, or 7. There is a thread going right now with some great ideas of what to do when renting a condo. worth a look.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k6534156…

Edited: 28 May 2013, 01:46
La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodations Advice???

Personally I understand completely. we stay in a room at Napili Kai that has a kitchen, but we don't cook who wants to wash dishes? :)

A couple of the places that were suggested, Honua Kai, and the Westin Villas are like condos in that they have a kitchen, but they have resort amenities - nice pools, beach, restaurant etc.

I love the Napili Kai and would have recommended it as well, but they don't have a large pool. They've got putting greens though :)

Dave

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,578 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodations Advice???

Take a look at the Hyatt on Ka'anapali. Great for you and your daughter!

New Berlin, WI
Level Contributor
466 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodations Advice???

I agree with the 9 nights. We felt that 7 nights was too short, 10 was perfect (if not too short, but we have to be real). We fly from Milwaukee so I feel your pain with the flight. I know you are flying from Chicago so you probably have a lot more choices in flights, but what we learned is this. Try and break up your flight (if not flying direct) into as equal parts as you can. That will take the edge off. Last trip we flew into Phoenix and changed planes then onto Maui. Was 4 hours to Phoenix and 6 1/2 (I believe) to Maui. The killer flight we took was 2 1/2 hours to Dallas and forever to Maui. Just a thought. Have fun planning.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodations Advice???

You're right Chris! A longer stay is better, especially after a long flight...jet lag does kick in especially with the kids! Having a kitchen and more room to spread out makes a huge difference when traveling with the younger ones and to be honest even the older ones!

Nobody requires you to cook! I don't! But love the extra space.

Lockport, Illinois
Level Contributor
86 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodations Advice???

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Honua Kai and the Westin Villas certainly look nice. I'm gravitating to that area. Do you suggest booking through the hotel, vrbo, costco, another booking site?

Also, thanks for the flight advice - I'll try to connect through LAX. The flights connecting through Dallas are a bit cheaper, but Dallas to Maui is over 8 hours...yuck!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodations Advice???

But the larger plane going out of DFW is well worth it to us. From LAX you will be taking 757 the 3x3 sitting . DFW has a direct flight #7 that is a widebody, 2 x 3 x2. If you can't connect on that noon direct then go on to LAX for your connections.