We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - FINALLY! Family with two teenage boys.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
127 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - FINALLY! Family with two teenage boys.

Sorry it has taken me so long to share our trip with you all. First of all, I want to thank this forum - you'll notice that many of our activities were based on forum advice. Because of all the knowledge and experieince shared, we were able to have the best trip ever!

Trip Report – Mar 31 – Apr 9

My husband, myself and our two teenage boys (from Saskatchewan) went to Maui for the first time over Easter break. We had been to Oahu a few years ago – this time we were looking for a bit more laid back “aloha.”

We booked the entire trip through Air Canada Vacations for a screaming deal. Let me just tell you, we couldn’t have gone to Cuba or Mexico for what we paid to go to Hawaii. Not even close. Because of the price, I was a bit worried about the accommodations (Outrigger Royal Kahana) – but the condo turned out to be great – spacious, clean and comfortable with a full ocean view! We saw tons of whales and turtles right from our lanai.

The first morning we went to the Sunrise Cafe in Lahaina for breakfast. Really good. Spent the morning exploring Lahaina (really love that town) and then driving to the blow hole. (We should have worn better shoes than flip flops to walk around there.)

That evening we had tickets to Ulalena in Lahaina. We had heard about a Travel Zoo deal on this TA forum. I will be brutally honest – we all hated it. We found it so boring and couldn’t wait to get out of there. The theatre was maybe a third full.

On Tuesday morning we had our pictures taken by a photographer (I had hired him via email a few months prior – Bruce Wheeler). It took about an hour and was more fun than we all expected. The pictures turned out great – I was hoping for maybe a handful of good ones – instead I have dozens (all on cd)!

After pictures we headed to Napili Beach for some boogie boarding. We went to the Sea House restaurant for happy hour appies. Very good.

Then we were off to the Haleakala crater. We were worried we wouldn’t get there by sunset and the drive was crazy scary. But we got up to the 10,023 foot summit in time. Wow – it was worth the drive. (However, the only way you’ll ever get me up there again is to knock me unconscious).

Long day.

On Wednesday we drove the Road to Hana. Definitely a highlight of our trip. Compared to our trip up to Haleakala the day before, this was easy peasy. Not scary.

We stopped so many times to view awesome waterfalls and ocean views. One thing that made the trip even better was the Road to Hana cd we bought to alert us to all the sites along the way. Very handy.

The best stops on the Road were:

1. The arboretum – my 16 year old said it was like walking in a fairytale. He was exactly right. I loved the rainbow trees.

2. Black Sand Beach. Fun to explore the caves.

3. Hike through the bamboo forest to the most enormous waterfall. It’s a more strenuous walk than we expected – we should have taken more water. But definitely a great thing to do.

On the way home, my husband took full advantage of his comfort with the curvy road. People were moving over for him to pass. Yep, he became one of THOSE drivers. We called him Jeff Gordon.

It was fun.... for awhile... and then my 13 year old felt sick. And less than 10 minutes before we were out of the curvy road, he vomited. Poor kid. But we all laugh about it now :)

Thursday was our snorkeling day. Based on all the recommendations on TA we went with Trilogy.

We all loved this tour so much. The two places (Molokini and Turtle Town) they took us too had such clear water, beautiful coral and amazing fish. My 13 year old and I even saw two reef sharks!!!! (They were smaller than us and quite deep down so I wasn't afraid at all – my son, on the other hand, said he was terrified - but he loves to tell the story about how he saw sharks :). At the second place we swam with the turtles which was one of the coolest experiences of my life.

They also fed us very well - cinnamon buns, fruit, juice and hot chocolate for breakfast. A wonderful feast of chicken and salad for lunch. I couldn't believe how good snorkeling tour food was.

We loved this experience so much we even discussed booking another snorkel trip while we were there. We just didn't have enough time. When we go back to Maui (oh, yes, we'll be going back!) I want to take the snorkel trip to Lanai.

That night we went to Ka’anapali Beach to watch the sunset and then to Lahaina to check out the Cool Cat Cafe recommended by a friend. We had fantastic burgers and sundaes. (My son had found coupons for the sundaes – we teased him about being an extreme coupon-er after that.)

On Friday we went to the University of Hawaii Maui College Culinary Institute Class Act restaurant. I had heard that this restaurant was chosen as best place to eat in Maui. They are only open two days a week - our seating was for 11:00 am. We could have brought wine in but it seemed a little early to begin drinking (although we were on vacation....) The theme of our meal was Moroccan.

It took us nearly two hours to eat our entire meal. It was amazing. I would definitely recommend going to Class Act. I know we'll go back.

That afternoon we went to Napili beach for some swimming, boogie boarding and relaxing.

Saturday – We went to DT Flemming Beach and decided that was our favourite beach – it was beautiful and had great boogie boarding waves. That evening we went back to Cool Cat Cafe because the boys liked it so much.

Sunday – last day. DT Flemming Beach. Mini golfing in Maalaea Square. (It was really fun!) Had Ululani Shave Ice one last time (sour cherry is my favourite!).

Just writing this all down makes me want to go back right now! Maui is where my heart is.

Indy
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - FINALLY! Family with two teenage boys.

Love it. So glad your kids like the RTH as I want to do it and TA members discourage it for teens.

Great details which I so appreciate! Did you like the location you chose? I'm still having a hard time deciding West vs. South and if West Kaanapali or Napali or in between...

Thanks.

Trish

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,592 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - FINALLY! Family with two teenage boys.

I have the hugest grin on my face! You can hear how happy you are in your writing. You were definitely very active in your time, but it sounds like you had the most amazing time! When you go back, you will love the Trilogy sail to Lanai! Thanks for sharing your fabulous trip with us. Maui stole another heart!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - FINALLY! Family with two teenage boys.

Loved your report, thanks for taking the time. I don't discourage anyone from doing the Hana journey. That said, kids mileage differs between families and you always have to take that into consideration.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
127 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - FINALLY! Family with two teenage boys.

Trish - We really liked the Kahana area - anywhere West would be nice. We didn't even go to Kihei so I can't compare. I did think a couple times that the Kihei area might have been more convenient because it was closer to things like the RTH, snorkeling, etc. Regarding the RTH - my teens loved it. But they are pretty active guys - we've had them hiking and exploring since they were little. I would say there weren't bored for a minute.

Travelbugged4 - your post totally made me smile.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,869 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - FINALLY! Family with two teenage boys.

Never too late for a good Trip Report! Thanks for posting this. Sounds like you all had a wonderful vacation. I'm surprised your son didn't get sick on your Trilogy trip after not doing so well on the RTH. Your husband must have been really going for it on all those curves :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - FINALLY! Family with two teenage boys.

love it. thanks for taking the time and posting.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,214 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - FINALLY! Family with two teenage boys.

Thanks for brightening my day with your trip report. Nice to make such good memories with your sons; teenagers are not always easy travel companions.

oregon
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - FINALLY! Family with two teenage boys.

Great trip report. Thanks. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - FINALLY! Family with two teenage boys.

Gotta love it! DT Fleming...check and my crew loves Cool Cat too but Teddy's Bigger burgers should be on your radar for the next trip.

Thanks for letting us all know how much you loved it!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - FINALLY! Family with two teenage boys.

Loved your trip report and found myself making mental notes to make sure we make it to Cool Cats Cafe finally this next trip, appreciated your descriptions of the RTH drive and I can relate to your husband. I admit that our favorite trick is get behind a work truck, stay off the bumper but drive behind the truck because they tend to move along fast and we get the bridges without having to wait. I am not dangerous but i am not going to be holding you up on your journey, if you are behind me. Thanks for the trip report and your last line certainly resonates with me. Deb