We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long trip report part 8 the end

Yreka, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Long trip report part 8 the end

May 15th This was our last full day on Maui and people needed to decide how they wanted to spend it. Some wanted to go to Lahania. Others wanted to go to Kehie. Some stayed at the condo with everyone else and the kids did some homework.

Everyone got back and I figured we needed to check in with the airlines. I looked up the info on the computer and there was a notation that My oldest daughter’s group needed to contact their reservation number. She gave them a call. I continued checking reservations and determined my granddaughter’s boyfriend’s reservation no longer existed. Between my daughter and I we got it straightened out, I hope.

We sorted out all of the snorkel stuff and got it returned then went and vacuumed out all of the sand from the vans.

Tonight was the only meal we ate out with the kids. We went to Moose MaGillicuttys in Keihe. It was hamburger night. The adults had an adult beverage. We got out of there for $200.00 and fed 15 people. It was very good. This was also one of the first nights we had much of a chance to see a sunset. After dinner we went across the street to the beach. The sunset was sort of a bust, but the kids played in the ocean (in their clothes).

Time to start packing and try to find room for everything.

May 16th

We were up early of course. We finished up the last minute packing and cleanup of the condos. We were on the road by 9:30 am. Of course some had to stop at Wal-Mart on the way.

We got to the airport, dropped off the people and the baggage at the curb and returned the rental cars. The checked bags went through the agricultural inspection. We got everyone checked in and boarding passes printed. Then it was off to security. The lines weren't too bad and we got ourselves put back together. Soon we were on the way to our gates, one more stop at the agricultural inspection for our carry-ons. We got to our gates and my oldest daughter had made everyone lunch. That worked out great and it was less to carry. My oldest daughter packed all of the car keys in her checked bag so we hope the bag is waiting for her in San Francisco.

All went well. One group got to San Francisco and their baggage was there with the keys. My group got into Sacramento about midnight. It was a long day, but everyone made it home safely.

It was a great trip with a few hiccups. Now my wife and I are planning our next trip (this time it will just be the two of us)

I’m a numbers kind of guy so here is some financial information on our trip: We paid for our kids and grandkids airfare, the rental cars and most of the food.

Airfare: $5,410.00

Lodging: $3,357.22

Snorkel Equip. $188.19

Aquarium $272.33

Food $725.42

Rental Cars $960.04

Gas $300.00

Misc. $227.11

Parking at S.F. airport $160.00

Spending money $1,850.00

Other $350.00

Unexpected medical expenses $700.00

Total: $14,500.31

Wow, I don’t know how we pulled it off, but we did and I am so grateful.

If anyone made it through all of this thank you for your patience.

toronto
Level Contributor
127 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long trip report part 8 the end

Thanks so much for Sharing your stories! Sounds like a wonderful way to spend family time together. You are a very generous couple!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,493 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long trip report part 8 the end

You got major bang for the buck. Think of all the memories...priceless!!.

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long trip report part 8 the end

Wow--(seems to be the word of the day!)--great budgeting, incredible planning, amazing stamina and patience! Way to go!!

But my top question is...what is the card game you all play?? (I love games!)

Yreka, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long trip report part 8 the end

We mostly play a game called three thirteen. We also play hearts and a game we call Oh Hell. It is a bidding game with trump. My mom raised 7 boys and cards were cheap.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long trip report part 8 the end

What a wonderful trip you had!

It brings back many good memories of my trips to Maui.

Thanks for the trip reports.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long trip report part 8 the end

I enjoyed reading all of your reports sounds like a great family trip.

Boy I am glad I only have 1 daughter she's 24 and her and her boyfriend are coming with us on our trip next month two more people really makes it more expensive of course I have been saving for two years.

We are spending 1 night in SF and then 9 nights on Maui in Honokowai and then 4 nights in SF on the way home. It's costing us a lot more but I am excited we get to show them maui and SF their first visit to both places.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,722 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long trip report part 8 the end

Thanks for taking the time to write all of these. I read every one :-) Sounds like your tribe had a marvelous vacation - well except for the injury and the theft. Thanks for posting.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,616 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long trip report part 8 the end

Read all your reports -- sounds like a great trip with lots of family time! Very generous of you to take the whole gang -- I am sure they loved it!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,596 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Long trip report part 8 the end

Aloha,

Mahalo for your report.

Glad the bag with all the keys made it intact !

Aloha

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long trip report part 8 the end

Thanks for sharing your trip! I think you did great budgeting! I grew up playing all those games as well!