We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Suggestions for Maui Resorts in December

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
63 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Need Suggestions for Maui Resorts in December

Our anniversary trip is planned for mid-December and we are planning on going to Maui. I was hoping some experts could give us advice in the best lodging areas in Maui based on this criteria:

1)More quiet resort (fewer the children the better)

2)would like resort to have great beach

3) would like to have good restaurants within walking distance

4)view of the water from the room would be nice but not necessary.

5)thoughts on condos vs resorts?

6) price range is $300 or less a night if possible.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Suggestions for Maui Resorts in December

Depending on your actual dates, you most likely can get an Ocean Front room at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel for that price. In my opinion, that's one of the best beaches on the island - though understand others differ. Lots of restaurants in walking distance, both at Whaler's Village and the other resorts along the walkway. The condo v. resort question is really one you need to decide upon based on your wants and needs. Factors we consider - do you want a full kitchen? are you planning on making any meals (even just having bagels and fruit in the morning in your condo saves money for a more expensive dinner later)? is it important to have daily housekeeping service? is it important to have restaurants and other amenities (e.g., resort store/shop) right on site? Whatever you decide on, enjoy your trip!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,799 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Suggestions for Maui Resorts in December

How many nights will you be staying?

If you manage to get in and out of Maui before the Christmas/New Year's onslaught, you should be able to find something nice in your price range.

My favorite that fits all your criteria is the Sheraton Maui on Ka'anapali Beach. Doesn't really cater to kids, great beach, easy walk to Whaler's Village, large rooms. Second choice would be the Hyatt on Ka'anapali - also great walkability.

You should be able to find all kinds of cheaper condos north of the Ka'anapali area, or Kihei in South Maui.

You know that you will need a car on Maui, yes?

Scroll down on this website and click on the properties that interest you.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

Here's a map of the Ka'anapali Resort area as well.

kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Suggestions for Maui Resorts in December

Just stay where you think it'll be best, 'cause you can't predict, and with a car, somewhere it's gonna be a nice beach day on Maui even if it's cloudy where you are, yeah?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Suggestions for Maui Resorts in December

Have a look at the Makena Beach and Golf Resort. It meets most of your requirements. It sits on one of Maui's best beaches for swimming and snorkeling. It is set off by itself so just by location alone, it will be more "quiet". That said, it's not really within walking distance to other restaurants etc. They do offer a free shuttle into Wailea and if you rent a car (which is always recommended) you are within 10-15 minutes drive to great restaurants in Wailea and Kihei. This area will also have the best, most consistent ocean conditions on the island at this time.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,215 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Suggestions for Maui Resorts in December

Hmmm a lot to want for $300 a night or less.

"would like resort to have great beach" cuts out probably 80% of the condos in Kihei.

"would like to have good restaurants within walking distance" cuts out the Makena Resort that would have been my my very first pick based on "more quiet resort (fewer the children the better )", "great beach", "view of the water from the room" and "price range is $300 or less a night if possible"

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

"would like to have good restaurants within walking distance" also cuts out the most affordable condos in Kahana and Honokawai.

You might check the Andaz in Wailea and see rates they are offering, Wailea Marriott and Sheraton Maui.

Depending on how long you are going for, I would favor a hotel 6 nights (7days) or less, a condo 7 nights or more.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Suggestions for Maui Resorts in December

We were regulars when the Maui Prince, now the Makena B&G resort had $99 Kamaaina

rates and gave Hawaiian Miles to boot. Loved it, noisy birdies and all!

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
737 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Suggestions for Maui Resorts in December

Your travel dates will greatly influence the attainability of your wish list. Lowest rates all year are the first two weeks of December. The absolute highest rates are the last two weeks of December. Price and availability for car rental is directly proportional. Children will be present in far greater numbers during the peak season as they are out of school and on holiday.

You may want to check with ChaseNrainbows, an on island property management company for their best price/wish list combo. I think that you could snag a studio or a one bedroom at Honua Kai located in West Maui just north of Lahaina during off peak, and it would meet all of your criteria.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,464 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Suggestions for Maui Resorts in December

December can be THE least expensive time of year to visit Maui -- as long as you are coming AFTER the Thanksgiving holidays and BEFORE Christmas holidays (when THE most expensive rules apply). Oceans are calmer south in winter. I'd skip far north Kapalua and Napili. You can have rain in December, but usually less wind from Kahana on south. *I* would be looking in Wailea -- home to Maui's top hotels -- or South Kihei.

We prefer the privacy of a condo for stays of at least a week. The 'walking distance' isn't important; many restaurants are scattered all over Maui -- five minutes in a car.

I like this site for South Maui condos: www.mauiownercondos.com Your $300/night should go far in early December at a condo or a hotel.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Suggestions for Maui Resorts in December

Yep, I'll chime in on the FIRST part of December being a fantastic bargain! Make sure you arrange your trip to end by December 15, and you will not only enjoy great prices, but no crowds either. Our anniversary is at the end of December, but we always end up going to Maui to celebrate in early December or January. Holiday time is just too crazy!

For your wants, my picks would be:

Makena Beach Resort - we loved it last January! As mentioned, it isn't walking distance to other restaurants, but the free shuttle is great! We made good use of it, and if you don't want to drive because you expect to have a few drinks it's the perfect solution. The resort does have a good package with free breakfast buffet and its other restaurants are pretty good. Nice happy hour and views to die for at Cafe on the Green. Besides the free shuttle, there are many many more free perks at this hotel and the service is wonderful! Very nice and gorgeous quiet location on my favorite beach!

We also loved Honua Kai condo resort. It's the best of both worlds with many hotel amenities and new luxury condos with space to move and washer/dryer are great to have. In early December it seemed pretty quiet. North of Black Rock is much quieter than the main Ka'anapali area. But Honua Kai does draw families and there were still quite a few kids there, mostly preschool. The beach is quiet and beautiful, with great snorkeling in the area, but it isn't a good sandy bottom, playing in the waves kind of beach. And there is no beach service at HK, but good service at the pool. If you rent a unit through the owner or an agency they will usually provide beach chairs and beach toys.

We've also stayed at the Sheraton in early to mid December, got a great rate for oceanfront at that time! And we enjoyed our stay but liked the other two even more.

There are just a couple of things you might miss at that time of year, it's very early for whales and if you see any, it won't be the "whale soup" of a month or two later. We also found that the first week of December is the time that some places on the island closed down for repairs, vacations, whatever. And if not enough people sign up for a boat tour, etc, it can be canceled. This isn't much of a problem if you are flexible though.

So my first choice for you is Makena Beach Resort, and if you want a condo maybe Honua Kai, or possibly some place like Ekolu or Ekahi in Wailea if you can find an updated unit at your price. Happy anniversary!!! No better place to celebrate than Maui!

Edited: 02 June 2013, 00:24
Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Suggestions for Maui Resorts in December

Who doesn't love Makena? When they were giving the rooms away to locals for $99 a night, guys would share a room at this five star hotel and go fishing.

The next day, the maids are all screaming "No! No! No can clean fish in the bathtub........!!!!"

LMAO!!!!