We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet and relaxing resort Maui

New York, NY
Level Contributor
297 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet and relaxing resort Maui

My husband and I have two weeks in Hawaii over Thanksgiving (celebrating our 20th anniversary). We plan on spending one week on either the Big Island or Maui and one week in Lana'i. What would be the best resort (we are looking at Four Seasons type properties) that would give us a restful and quiet stay with a great beach for snorkeling and strolling. We are looking for quiet. We love to hang out on the beach all day and read. We'll be on either the Big Island or Maui over Thanksgiving. Thanks for your help.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet and relaxing resort Maui

Sorry, Thanksgiving weekend won't be quiet on Maui or the Big Island. Okay, quieter than New York!

The Ritz is another alternative to the Four Seasons. It's way up the west side of Maui in Kapalua. It sits up on a cliff, not really beachfront. But there is no beach for snorkeling right there, and it is a 10 minute drive (give or take) from Ka'anapali area, and another ten to Lahaina. But it might be quieter...

The Four Seasons, and the Fairmont Kea Lani, both in Wailea, would be nice.

Another alternative that would give you the nice beach for snorkeling, but not so close for restaurants, would be the Makena Beach and Golf Resort. They do offer a shuttle to the Shops at Wailea though. It is even further south than the Fairmont and the Four Seasons.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet and relaxing resort Maui

I am not sure what will be quiet over Thanksgiving. Maybe the Ritz would be more quiet than the Four Seasons? But the weather is more likely to be iffy up there.

Lanai would definitely be quieter. Four Seasons is the nicest resort on Maui; it's just that Thanksgiving is busy everywhere.

The Travaasa in Hana would be quiet as well, but more remote, for sure. If that interests you, try it for the week of Thanksgiving and the Four Seasons for the other week. If not, do Lanai the week of Thanksgiving and the 4S the other week.

arkansas
Level Contributor
470 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet and relaxing resort Maui

You really should consider staying at the Lodge while on Lanai. Very quite and peacefully beautiful, but only a short shuttle ride to the other Four Seasons at the bay for beach time. It really is the best of both worlds especially since you are staying a week on another island, so ocean-front accomodations will probably be in your plans at that location.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet and relaxing resort Maui

On your other post Shea mentioned 4S Hualalai on the Big Island. If you do go to BI, or if you are looking for a great resort, that is one I would recommend. I also think it will be somewhat quieter than the 4S Maui, although anything will be busy on Thanksgiving.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,268 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet and relaxing resort Maui

Why not be on Lanai for Thanksgiving? Definitely be more peaceful. Then you could do BI or Maui the other week...

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,723 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet and relaxing resort Maui

Well, if you are looking for "Four Seasons type properties," it doesn't get much better than the Four Seasons. Thanksgiving is a busy travel week so every resort will be full, or close to it. But the FS does as well as anyone on maintaing a peaceful environment and pampering their guests.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quiet and relaxing resort Maui

Are you sure, sure, sure that you want a full week on Lanai? Quiet and relaxing ... that's Lanai. Not much there. But (and I don't mean to be rude) do you realize the incredible options you have on the other Islands? Are you pretty familiar with what Hawaii has to offer? You're not comparing it to the Caribbean or Mexico, are you? Hawaii is generally not a place where visitors come and plotz at a resort. It easy to explore on your own and has some wonderful surprises.

Anyway - something to think about. I'd stick with your first plan - a week on Maui and one on the BI. If the Four Seasons looks good to you on Maui - snag is NOW. It may be sold out over the holiday.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quiet and relaxing resort Maui

I think a week on Lanai sounds like heaven! We went from going to Lanai on day trips to staying at Manele Bay for 2 nights. Next time we want more! There really is a lot more to explore if you get out and about and great snorkeling. Sounds like you may already know what you want on Lanai. I know some people at the Lodge are disappointed with the pool- and also weather not great for pool there. We don't do the pool, but it is important to some. We like Manele Bay because it is close to our snorkeling and I come to Hawaii to see the ocean! The Lodge is beautiful though.

On Maui we stay in Kapalua which would be the Ritz. Yes a few more showers, but more rainbows there as well. Very beautiful area and quiet which is why we like it. From the Ritz you look out at the ocean and there are several beaches..closest is DT Fleming....Oneloa is very quiet and seclused.... and snorkeling can be done at Kapalua. Resort shuttle will take you to these. Honolua Bay is great for snorkeling also and only a short drive.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Quiet and relaxing resort Maui

Definitely consider the Four Seasons Hualalai as well. it's a beautiful spot with just the right mix of peace, privacy and plenty to do if you feel like it.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,750 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Quiet and relaxing resort Maui

If you want Four Seasons Lanai, you'd probably like Travaasa Hana on Maui. While Wailea has a Four Seasons and several other top hotels, they are mostly *huge* -- not the quiet "St. John" type thing I think you're asking for. Makena Beach Resort (five minutes south of Wailea) is a good suggestion. You might enjoy Mauna Lani on Big Island -- not as many properties ON beaches on Big Island, although Four Seasons Hualalai has 'lagoons'.

Might you like a condo for a week or so? Maui has some nice low-rise, low-density choices in Wailea. Most have everything a hotel offers on a quieter scale. We like 'home from home' but on Maui! You can still go to hotels for their restaurants and spas. Almost every visitor not staying on Waikiki or at Four Seasons Lanai has a rental car.

Oceans will be calmer south in autumn. On Maui, I'd look at Wailea Beach Villas, Makena Surf, Wailea Ekahi and Elua. Best spots on Big Island are in the Kohala area (NW).