We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana Audio CD

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
45 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Hana Audio CD

What is the best Audio Tour CD for the Road to Hana? I have seen some on Amazon, but what are your favorites? We will be leaving from Kihei. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Level Contributor
37,720 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana Audio CD

We used the one from the Shell Station which included a DVD, map and access to a cooler for the day. I think it was about $20. Have fun! :)

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
45 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana Audio CD

You say THE Shell Station.... where is this Shell Station? That sounds like a good deal though. Thanks for the info!

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana Audio CD

The Shell Service Station is on Diary Road (Route 380) in Kahulu near the Hana Highway intersection. I heard about this CD for years & finally listened to one someone left at the Kapalua Villa I stay at -- I agree, it's the best thing this side of renting the GPS gypsy guide (which I've never done, but I did play around with one that a friend rented & the thing is pretty darn cool!!)

gypsyguide.com/maui/where/road_to_hana.php

Alo)(a, NKO

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Saginaw, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Hana Audio CD

If you have an iPhone the GyPSy app is great. Was just there a couple weeks ago and had it going most of the time.

We took our AUX cable with us, and luckily our rental car had an AUX jack so we listened through the car speakers.

FYI, the app has commentary throughout the island, not just for the Road to Hana.

Edited: 05 June 2013, 18:12
Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,869 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Hana Audio CD

We love the audio guide that Snorkel Bob's sells. It's very informative for all the stops along the way, and it is really entertaining. Snorkel Bob has a most unique sense of humor.

The Gypsy Guides have been getting great reviews here in the forum. Here's the link if you want to check it out www.gypsyguide.com

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,592 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Hana Audio CD

There are actually 2 Gypsy guides...one for just the Road to Hana and the other is the whole island which includes the RTH. Get the whole island one!

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Hana Audio CD

Thought the CD made it a better ride. We like it sooooo much better with the CD.

A great buy.

Enjoy

Napa, California
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Hana Audio CD

Here is a web link to the Rd to Hana Cd that we purchased and I think she associated some how to the lady who sells them at the Shell Gas station because we were give a coupon for a free cooler rental to be picked up at said gas station. Not sure what time frame you have or if ordering online is an option, but we found it a great deal and sounds informative. We will use on our trip in Oct. Aloha and Enjoy your trip!

hanacdguide.com/Road_to_Hana_CD_Guide_Home_P…

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Road to Hana Audio CD

We bought a CD from the Maui Ocean Centre and found it pretty helpful. I think it's the same CD that they sell at the Shell station. My only concern with it was that it encourages you to swim in one or more of the fresh water pools that you are directed to, and I thought I had read here that swimming was not advisable due to the possibility of leptospirosis infection. Was confusing and made for difficult negotiations with my son, who then thought swimming in those pools must be perfectly safe.

What is the consensus here? Is swimming in the freshwater pools along the Road to Hana safe or not?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Level Contributor
37,720 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road to Hana Audio CD

The DVD that comes along with CD makes for a really nice souvenir. We watched it at home with my parents after the trip so they could see The Road To Hana and really enjoyed it. :)

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI