We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii 11 day trip- final thoughts!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
678 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaii 11 day trip- final thoughts!

I started planning this trip last August. I knew we wanted to go to another island after 2 trips to Oahu. I quickly decided on Kaanapali area on Maui.

Airfare- I was using one miles ticket and in the end it was much more direct and cheaper to book round trip airfare to HNL and buy Hawaiian Air tickets separately. We decided to stay 2 nights in Waikiki before heading to Maui since we love the "hustle and bustle" of the Honolulu. Anchorage lacks the big city feel and we miss that despite loving living here. It was a perfect way to start our trip.

Honua Kai- WE LOVED THIS PLACE!!! The location, pools, views, and grounds of the resort was exactly what I was looking for. After extensive research, I decided on HK. I got the best deal and view booking Hokulani #749 (2 bedroom ocean view ) for $375 per night using Chasing Rainbows. I priced it out booking direct and other rental companies. I looked at VRBO as well. The communication from Chasing Rainbows was excellent and we had no issues. We also loved the underground parking garage which kept our car from getting hot!

rental car- as always we found Costco to have the best car rental rates. We ended up with a Mazda 5 which had 6 seats and was basically a mini mini van. It was tight with all the luggage in it but worked nicely that the 3 girls didn't have to sit 3 in the backseat.

Our big 3 activities was the Trilogy trip to Lanai, our afternoon at Haleakala, and parasailing with West Maui Parasailing. We enjoyed all 3, but the Trilogy day was everyone's favorite day of our entire stay. We also rented snorkel gear for Snorkel Bob's for the week. We went with the mid level equipment and all our masks were a bit leaky but the suggestion from here to not use sunscreen on our faces helped a lot!

We also drove the Wailea Beach, visited Maui Ocean Center, and drove to the blowhole. The highlight was the drive to the blowhole.

I had thought we would beach hop more but we were very content with "our beach". The snorkeling was great- lots of fish and colorful color coral. We aren't picky and didn't want to spend a lot of time in the car!

We bought local food from Times, Safeway, and Costco and ate most of our meals in the condo. It saved money and the views from our large lenai (with a large table) were fabulous! We ate at the Fish Market on day 1, Aloha Mixed Plate, and Leilani's. All were great! We also had snacks at Pailolo, the sports bar at the Westin, for every Blackhawks game. What a great bar!

Maui vs Oahu.- I love Oahu but we all decided we like Maui better mostly due to the better selection of resorts and great beach for walking. Oahu gets the edge for best island for driving AROUND though. I loved the clear and warm water of Maui.

Next year we are planning a 3 week trip to southern europe but if that is simply too expensive, we may spend 3 weeks in hawaii. Time will tell! Thanks for following along and I'll post a tripwow shortly!

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii 11 day trip- final thoughts!

Blowhole's fun yeah?

Watch out for big swells.......

Do a google search....you will be shocked!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
678 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii 11 day trip- final thoughts!

We knew the stories and only went have way down. There was a couple standing very close.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii 11 day trip- final thoughts!

How do you think the beauty if the water and beaches, scenery compared to Oahu? We have been to Oahu and Kauai'i. We're doing Maui in August for 2 weeks..can't wait! Loved your descriptions! So glad you had fun!

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii 11 day trip- final thoughts!

Last time we stopped at Longs and bought a beach ball. I chunked it in the blowhole and a few seconds later it shot right out. I threw it in again and nothing happened. Nothing. A few moments later it was spotted about 150 yards out to sea!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
678 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii 11 day trip- final thoughts!

We pondered that man's fate for a long time and wondered why he didn't shoot back out. I hope it was a quick death.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii 11 day trip- final thoughts!

Which rental car company did Costco hook you up with? I drive a Mazda 5 at home and would love to be able to get one when I am on Maui in October. I usually use Thrifty or Alamo but have never seen a Mazda at either.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
678 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaii 11 day trip- final thoughts!

We rented from Alamo. It was on lot for us to pick from full size category. It was handy! I had never seen one either!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaii 11 day trip- final thoughts!

Thanks for all your posts. Enjoyed traveling along with you and will look forward to seeing your pics.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
678 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaii 11 day trip- final thoughts!

"How do you think the beauty if the water and beaches, scenery compared to Oahu? We have been to Oahu and Kauai'i. We're doing Maui in August for 2 weeks..can't wait! Loved your descriptions! So glad you had fun!"

alfrische- Maui wins for water and beaches- easily! The drive to the blowhole was incredible- so dramatic. We did not do the Road to Hana but I know that is impressive. What I still prefer about Oahu is easily being able to drive around the island with easy stops along the way.

We did all agree that overall we prefer Maui, but still love Oahu. Can't go wrong in Hawaii!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaii 11 day trip- final thoughts!

What a wonderful trip. Thanks for the reports, PPCDteacher!!