We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"What is Aloha?"

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
60,016 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
"What is Aloha?"

Aloha,

Well, by popular demand and in response to all the folks who asked--here is an updated (and typos corrected, LOL) version. I will also post a link to the older thread for those who may want to explore it. I posted a lot of Hawaiian history in that one,explaining how the system here is-and was-important to understand when visiting Hawaii. I hope you all enjoy this acrostic and have a wonderful weekend!!

A: Aina. The land is our foundation, our rock-literally and figuratively. Enjoy it, learn from it and about it, and respect the customs, laws, and rules. Visit the museums and the mountains both; stand on the beach at sunset and watch the power and beauty of the ocean as the moon rises and the stars emerge.

L: Life. Life is precious; it is shared and from it we learn. When you're lucky enough to meet someone who has information to share, experiences to describe (positive or negative), a Kupuna with stories of the old days, or a child playing on the beach in the sand--take a mental snapshot and add it to your life's photo album. Your album will be priceless and a part of you, no matter where you live or travel.

O: Others. Others are as important as you are, and often, even more so. Allowing someone ahead of you in line, driving politely, pulling off the road to not back up the traffic behind you as you sightsee, spending time getting to know a few new people, not expecting things to be "just like at home", making a child smile, giving your excess food and items to a shelter, are all part of putting others ahead of yourself. The rewards are greater than one might think, even from small and simple gestures.

H: Heart. Without heart, we are machines, and could run endlessly with just power and fuel. But we're not machines, we're human; remember to feed your heart with those things that can't be duplicated anywhere else. The walk in a crater, the stroll through Koa trees hundreds of feet tall, the music performed in the Native language, the beauty of a Hula danced in either a planned performance or an impromptu one, the warmth of the water as you explore a beach at sunrise when both the moon and the sun are in the sky together. Slow down, and take deep breaths as you feel your heart expand to welcome our world.

A: All. Respect for people, the land, traditions, cultures, and each other. Live, learn, and love.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
60,016 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "What is Aloha?"

Aloha,

Here is a link to the old thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k353205…

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "What is Aloha?"

Thank you, sw!

Aloha

Teri

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,600 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "What is Aloha?"

A wonderful read, and before you start on the old thread, grab a cup of coffee, or wine, or mai tai, whatever, and a box of tissues. There really are some wonderful stories there.

Thanks to all the previous posters for sharing their stories. And thanks to sw for continuing to share her knowledge and time.

Aloha

Joan

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "What is Aloha?"

For the life of me, I don't know why this has been pulled in the past. I just don't get it ...

Falcon, Colorado
Level Contributor
375 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "What is Aloha?"

This is a beautiful way to live. I think we can all use a bit more ALOHA. :-)

6. Re: "What is Aloha?"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 06:05
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,684 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "What is Aloha?"

Love, Love, Love this!! Keep it rolling...and I second the box of tissues if you take time to read the original!

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "What is Aloha?"

Sydneysiders have aloha spirit......one can't read a city map on a sidewalk in Sydney fifteen seconds before a citizen approaches and politely inquires if one is in need of directions?!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,958 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "What is Aloha?"

Thank you SW! I did not get to read it all the last time before if disappeared! So glad you put it back up and I saved it this time!!!

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "What is Aloha?"

Would someone please go to today's Star Advertiser www.staradvertiser.com, read the headlines that are appallingly similar day after day and explain what the heck is going on in our state with regards to this subject matter?