We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report for 10 days on Maui

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report for 10 days on Maui

O.K. we spent 10 amazing days on Maui after spending 4 days on Oahu. I don't think I can remember everything day by day, so I'll just write an overview of the trip. Arrived on Maui late in the afternoon on a Tuesday. Easy transition at the airport to get the rental car from Enterprise. I rented the car through DHCR, Smooth process, no complaints.

We drove straight to the condo we rented on VRBO at Maui Kamaole in South Kihei just before Wailea. Great accommodations with all of the supplies we needed such as beach toys, coolers, snorkel gear,beach chairs, beach towels and many other extras. Got into our condo and then to the Safeway for some shopping for breakfast and lunch food. That evening just relaxed on the lanai and watched the sunset. Welcome to Maui!!

1st full day we drove to the end of Makena road to the Ahihi reserve where the road ended and hiked through the lava fields about 2 miles to Kanaio beach. What a beautiful place, and we spent practically the whole day there alone not another soul in site. Saw some beautiful fish and turtles at this area, we really wish we had our snorkel gear with us. Also saw goats on top of the lava rocks in the distance, some of them were very large. This was a hot hike on the return trip, greatful for sunscreen. That evening out to eat and relax back at the condo.

2nd day we decided to take on the Road to Hana. Started out very early, with almost no traffic.

Stopped and did a couple of short hikes to waterfalls. At the second waterfall, my husband injured his leg, I diagnosed him with partial tear of his calf muscle. Our hiking was finished for the trip. We continued on the road at least making it to Hana where I did a least get to see the red sand beach and black sand beach while my husband stayed in the car with ice on his leg. He was having diffiulty walking so we rented crutches from Long's drugs for $2/day. He used those for a couple of days then could make it on his own but very slowly.

With this new development we had to change our plans as we had many hikes planned. After a couple of days we discovered that he could snorkel without any pain. So our backup plan was to snorkel, snorkel, snorkel, and have quality beach time. Great snorkiling right off the shore. We snorkeled several different sites, Ulua beach, Po'olenalena beach, Laperouse bay, the end of Keawakapu beach, and some other area past Makena which was very shallow but great fish and coral. Our favorite spot was Po'olenalena beach, saw many fish, coral and had a great time swimming with the turtles by ourselves. Not crowded at all.

We took a snorkel tour one day with Redline Rafting to Molokini where we snorkeled inside the crater and on the back side. We also had 2 more stops along the shoreline, some of the same spots we had accessed from the beach. Great trip and would recommend as it left from Kihei boat ramp right across from our condo.

We did have several great meals which were very affordable. Coconuts for some awesome fish tacos, Eskimo Candy for a wonderful lobster pasta,Fat Daddys for excellent pulled pork, and good atmosphere if you like it loud at Moose Mcgillicuddys(spelling??). We did attend a luau at the Grand Wailea. It was just O.K. Now I can say I attended a luau probably won't spend the money for another one when I return to Maui some day.

We did visit Lahaina and drive along the west side of the island. Drove to the summit of Haleakala for a sunset. Very amazing site. We had a trip planned to hike the sliding sands trail but that will just have to wait until we return again.

Overall an awesome trip even though we didn't get to do all we had planned. I guess that just gives us a good excuse to return.

Loved it there and am trying to plan another trip maybe next May to explore more of the land.

Thanks for everyone who posts information of here the advice was priceless in helping to plan our trip.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report for 10 days on Maui

Forgot to add that I did manage to get a run in every morning from our condo along Kihei road to the beachwalk in Wailea which is 1.5 miles long then I would return.. A good 5 mile route. I always felt safe running here by myself. Just wanted to add this in case there are any other runners out there who are interested in a good run while on Maui.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report for 10 days on Maui

Sorry about your husband's injury; glad you were able to adapt your plans and still have an amazing vacation.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,260 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report for 10 days on Maui

Sometimes Maui just calls you to slow down, glad you soldiered through and enjoyed the trip!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report for 10 days on Maui

Great trip report.

Glad you were flexible after the unfortunate injury and made the most of your time.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,071 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report for 10 days on Maui

That's too bad about the injury! Snorkeling is an awesome thing being able to do though! Thank you for sharing.

Level Contributor
35,228 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report for 10 days on Maui

Sounds like a nice time! :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report for 10 days on Maui

If you can't hike Maui, you might as well snorkel!! What a great time, thanks for the report!!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report for 10 days on Maui

Thanks for sharing your trip with us sounds like you had a great time.

9. Re: Trip report for 10 days on Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 05:17