We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Let's Be Careful Out There

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
556 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Let's Be Careful Out There

We love Maui and being on the water. Its all too easy to stop paying attention when you're on the beach. A young Canadian was very lucky and was rescued after being swept into the water at the Olivine pools. See: mauinow.com/2013/…

Remember to never turn you back on the ocean and always be aware of the conditions around you. Many of us aren't used to being on an ocean (nearest one to me is over 1000 miles :-( ). There are some great safety tips published at oceansafety.ancl.hawaii.edu/v/2.0/…

Edited: 12 June 2013, 13:20
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,970 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Let's Be Careful Out There

Wow! That is one lucky guy! Not a safe place to "play"!

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Let's Be Careful Out There

No kidding Mamma! I just looked up pictures after reading the acrticle. I've never been there but doesn't look like a place to swim and hang out! According the article I read after the news article, that darned blue book, which shall remain nameless, hyped it up and made it more of a tourist attraction than it should be. What a shame.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,438 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Let's Be Careful Out There

Definitely the reason why this place is warned against! Thankfully he is safe.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,154 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Let's Be Careful Out There

Wow that's a lot of people and equipment used at taxpayer expense for one uninformed traveler!

I truly thank God for this TA forum and the messages of safety. Thank you rscotty!!! And I am happy this man is OK. Hope he and his family have learned a valuable lesson.

Before we found TA we followed the advise of the unnamed book and my three sons and I played in these pools one summer day. DH was smarter and thought we shouldn't go down, but I thought, "Oh, the book says it's fine." Again, I thank God there were no rogue waves. It was not nearly as much fun as snorkeling anyway!!!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,542 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Let's Be Careful Out There

Aloha,

Thanks for posting this.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Let's Be Careful Out There

This is amazing and sad all at the same time for me. Those darn pools were on my list for our trip in 2010 with our three kids. I thought they would love it. I don't even remember how I found out about them. But it was by doing a google search that I came across an old TA thread about them. With every new post, it became obvious to me that this was somewhere I was never going to visit, with or without my kids.

So many people posted about their horrible experience, and couldn't believe that they were alive. One man wrote about watching his new wife being swept away, but she managed to hang on and he was able to reach her in time. Climbing back up, all bloodied from cuts and scrapes, they were aghast at the people still walking by them, in flip flops with young children in tow.

From that thread, I discovered that there were forums, and you could ask questions and learn so much STUFF! I had always used the reviews on TA to check out different hotels, but never knew the forums even existed!

He is one very lucky man! Thank goodness someone had a boogie board down there.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Let's Be Careful Out There

Just goes to show you why we don't recommend hiking down to those pools. This isn't the first time this has happened and probably won't be the last.

The ocean safety link is also over in the Top Questions. People just have to use that common sense they seem to loose while on Maui.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Let's Be Careful Out There

GREAT advice!!

I'll add, because rip currents are a major contributor to people getting it trouble in the ocean; learn to identify them!!! EVERY beach has at least one (usually several) and they are easy to spot. Ask a lifeguard to point one out and study it's characteristics. There are also several online resources that can help, such as this one:

www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/overview.shtml

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Let's Be Careful Out There

Thanks for posting this.

I wish the airlines flying to Hawaii would play an ocean safety film during the flight from the mainland.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Let's Be Careful Out There

From someone who lives at the ocean, California coast, it still boggles my mind that people do not respect the ocean for her power. I was raised to never turn my back to the ocean, ever...in an instant you are swept up and out. We won't even talk about getting yourself out of a rip current.

Person was very lucky...thanks for the reminder!