We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai and Maui a week each or 2 weeks in Kauai

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai and Maui a week each or 2 weeks in Kauai

Going last 2 weeks of Feb in Westin timeshares and have never been to Hawaii. Have to stay a week in Kauai. Do we do two weeks there or split and a week in Maui?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
85 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai and Maui a week each or 2 weeks in Kauai

I would definitely not stay two weeks in Kauai. It is beautiful and there are wonderful sights, but I think it would be boring for that long. IMO there is not the mix of interesting restaurants and activities that you have on Maui, and with some exceptions the beaches are much less swimmable and snorkelable. So do both islands.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai and Maui a week each or 2 weeks in Kauai

Do both, so you know which to go to when you go back. I LOVE Kauai but it is a bit boring compared to Maui IMO. Sometimes that is exactly what I want.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai and Maui a week each or 2 weeks in Kauai

I could spend an eternity on Kauai...

However in your case...given it is your first visit to Hawaii..... A week on Kauai followed by a week on Maui might just fit the bill. They are both smaller Islands and suitable for that type of itinerary.

It will be the perfect escape from YWG in February!

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai and Maui a week each or 2 weeks in Kauai

I completely agree.

I never thought I'd find a place I loved as much as Kauai...until I got to Maui.

Two excellent places with different vibes, you'll enjoy both I suspect.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai and Maui a week each or 2 weeks in Kauai

I would lean towards both...but you said you "have" to be on Kauai for a week. If you are working that week and won't get to see much, I'd consider staying. If you'll have time to get out and about, definitely do the 2nd week in Maui.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai and Maui a week each or 2 weeks in Kauai

Reason 1 to go to Maui in February: Maui Humpback Whale Season!!!! examiner.com/article/maui-travel-101-when-do…

Reason 2: Maui Snorkeling!!!! There is great snorkeling right from shore all over Maui! Do it every morning! tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29220-c132196/Maui:H… …blogspot.com/2013/…more

Reason 3: Maui "Whale Soup"!!!! February is the height of whale season and you will see them breaching and blowing right from your lanai in amazing numbers! mauiwhalewatchtours.com/recognizing-surface-…

Reason 4: Maui Sunshine!!!! The beautiful north coast of Kauai is so lush and green because of all the rain it gets in February - and other months! More sunshile on Maui, still enough rain to paint a daily rainbow! https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=653&q=maui+rainbow&oq=maui+rainbow&gs_l=img.12..0l4j0i24l4.3877.7774.0.11282.12.12.0.0.0.0.160.1745.0j12.12.0.crnk_timediscountb..0.0.0..1.1.17.img.QkzbRYU32XE#facrc=_&imgrc=oQCxmgcv7_r5TM%3A%3BUMSgm4novAjEvM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwest-maui.com%252Frainbow.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwest-maui.com%252F%3B400%3B265

Reason 5: Maui Baby Humpback Whales!!! They are born in the shallow waters off of Maui! Imagine watching a mother teaching her newborn calf to breach, or a curious 15 foot calf swiming under your kayak to check you out! …nytimes.com/2013/…

Reason 6: Maui's Wonderful Restaurants!!! There is nothing like Mama's Fish House!!!

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60636-d47…

Reason 7: Maui's Songs of the Humpback Whales!!! You will hear it when you are snorkeling off of Maui if you dive down a couple of feet, or on one of the whale watch boat trips. whalesong.net/index.php/…whale-songs

Reason 8: Maui's " House of the Sun" Haleakala!!! See the sun rise or set from this otherworldly landscape at 10,000 feet. There is nothing like this dormant volcano on the much older islands of Kauai and Oahu. https://www.google.com/search?sugexp=crnk_timediscountb&gs_rn=17&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=k6q_mLzVdGiZeJ2_8UdypQ&suggest=p&cp=11&gs_id=b&xhr=t&q=haleakala+crater&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47883778,d.eWU&biw=1366&bih=653&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=Qae8UbubK4aG9QSHlIHQAQ

Reason 9: Getting "Mugged" by a Humpback Whale on a Maui Whale Watch Tour!!! THE most amazing experience of my life was looking straight down over the side of our boat into the gigantic eye of a humpback whale looking up at me!!! And then dancing in the "rain" as we were spouted on!!!

www.mauiwhalewatchtours.com/whale-video.html (didn't get a a video of my experience, but you get the idea!)

Reason 10: The Amazing Music of Uncle Willie K!!! Willie K performs his musical magic on Maui almost every week at Mulligans on the Blue, and often at other venues too! His range of talent will delight you! http://williek.com/gallery/videos/

Reason 11 to go to Maui as well as Kauai in February: Humpback Whale Season!!!!!!!!!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cbXBpHNuYc

Enough said????

Have a wonderful trip!

Aloha

Teri

oops! sorry about links in #4 & 8! worth pasting into your browswer, though!

Edited: 15 June 2013, 18:57
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai and Maui a week each or 2 weeks in Kauai

Bear in mind that you've posted on the Maui forum, and people are going to be extremely biased towards their favorite island. Same as on any forum.

FWIW, I just hosted a guest for a week here on Kaua`i. We ran all around the island and didn't come anywhere near doing and seeing everything. My only hesitation in recommending Kaua`i for you is that the Westin is on the north shore, and that's not the ideal part of the island in February. Still, I'd strongly consider a week on each island as a first-timer.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai and Maui a week each or 2 weeks in Kauai

pzp, I think I am the only Maui forum regular who posted, and I do think that Mozza should do one week each! In fact, I am starting to explore splitting our next trip between Maui and Kauai!!! I can't believe that I've been to Hawaii 7 times in the last ten years and not yet been to the Garden Isle!!!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai and Maui a week each or 2 weeks in Kauai

Teri S - I thought we had you over on Kauai a year or two ago! Guess it was another Teri.....No wonder you are so "Maui-centered"...you will find much to enjoy on Kauai! And we'll look forward to your visit!

OP - do both islands not because one is better than the other (or you would never leave Kauai - jkjkjk!!) - but because it will be a fantastic opportunity to see both. We are finally planning our first trip to Maui and having a ball seeing what is there for us! I have family that live and breathe it. I love Kauai.

Hawaii in winter, when you are from Winnipeg (I'm from S'toon originally), is a wonderful thing! Definitely more whales at Maui which is pretty darn cool! Enjoy your planning!

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai and Maui a week each or 2 weeks in Kauai

Aloha Mezzsop, I've been thinking about Kauai and popping in on the forum every now and then for a while. We just haven't been able to tear ourselves away from Maui in the winter and can't quite do 2 trips a year yet! I'd love to do Maui and/or BI in winter and Kauai in summer! Well, if we can extend our trip a few days longer in March, I'm doing my best to talk DH into the first few days on Kauai! Hope you have a great time on Maui!