We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on condos/area to stay...

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
419 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions on condos/area to stay...

It's official DH & I will be on Maui from 12/28 - 1/4! I have booked my airfare (thank you all for the encouragement) & have narrowed my condos to the following:

Aston Mahana Oceanfront One Bedroom thru Costco with rental car (No idea which unit...)

-or-

Lahaina Shores Studio Oceanfront no car (add rental car & price is equal to Costco) thru Chasin Rainbows

-or-

Sugar Beach Resort Oceanfront One Bedroom no car & only $300 less than Costco. This is thru VRBO & Owner lives on island & owns 2 units here. GORGEOUS place...but concerned about the winds (TA Reviews even make mention of them)

-or-

Kapalua Oceanfront One Bedroom Gold Villa...started there but expanded my horizons based on the advice here, especially due to the time of year we will be there. A little over $1K higher than anything else I have mentioned but again thru Costco includes car rental.

Will you please tell me your preference based on what I told you about us & what you know about the areas/properties?

We are mid 40's & live outside of the city. We are used to quiet at night, but would like an opportunity to walk to happy hour or dinner & enjoy a couple drinks without the need for either of us needing to drive.

I appreciate all of your insight-I can't wait to be able to gain knowledge & give back after we return!

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions on condos/area to stay...

I think I would choose the Mahana out of the choices you have there. Spectacular ocean views - you'll be watching the whales out there.

I personally love Kapalua and would be seriously tempted to stay there despite the possibility of rain but I know most others would probably pass at this time. It is important to know where exactly the villa is, oceanfront? is that right? Is it a gold bay villa? Many villas are "ocean view" but quite far from the ocean :)

Dave

Edited: 18 June 2013, 05:07
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions on condos/area to stay...

I agree with Dave.........normally I would be a Sugar Beach girl, but this is my opinion for your needs. I do not like not knowing the unit because I am fussy that way and handpick all my condos, while renting the car separate. I am not very familiar with the west side but I am with that complex and it hits all marks with the view, lanai and it offers you quiet, while still putting you within walking distance of action. It would be a bit of a walk, but def doable. Not impressed with the beach, but we have not generally stayed on the beach we hang out on when staying on the south side. i have no problem with short distance driving to get to a better beach.

The fact that Sugar Beach is gorgeous and on one our our favorite beaches for walking, plus the are puts you closer to all of the good times on Maui would make it appealing to me. Yes, the wind is a concern but south can be sunnier at that time of year. I base that on our experience with a two week vacation in December 17 to January 2nd 2008., We would be west and in the clouds and it would just get sunnier as we approached south side. I know........not much experience to go on....LOL!!! We quickly chose spring and fall travel after an expensive Christmas visit. But we had such a wonderful vacation and so will you! It is a magical time to be on Maui and leaving the mainland idea of the holidays behind. Enjoy planning your vacation and you will be so happy you decided to visit Maui. Deb

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
419 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions on condos/area to stay...

Hi Dave-Yes it would be Oceanfront...in the research of where I am considering staying I have learned there is a difference! Thanks for the tip though. Maui revealed online has great information about the different properties, and I actually eliminated some places based on his opinions & TA reviews. I wish I had started to plan earlier!! The rental car is a big deal...along with lodging! My girlfriend is also like you, swears by Kapalua but it is our first trip to Maui & I don't want to risk a lot of rain...Sunny AZ people think it is a novelty, but not on vacation! :P

Next up, how to celebrate New Years Eve...Thought of doing the sunrise at the crater, that seem like a wonderful way to bring in 2014!

Thanks again,

Susie

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,678 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions on condos/area to stay...

I will be in an oceanfront at Kapalua during that time as well-from the 22nd to the 4th. I love it there...it is beautiful. You can walk to Pineapple Grill or Merriman's- others too, but those are the closest. Yes there may be more rain, but it is beautiful there.

I have heard from some people ;) that Sugar beach is beautiful...don't know first hand. Yes typically more guaranteed sun there, but been in winter several times where it was nicer further north than down south...can't predict weather.

Don't know the other two...but love the area of the Mahana as well.

I will say it again as I have before...you can't go wrong, it's Maui, and easy to drive elsewhere if the sun isn't shining where you are. All you get is personal opinions here- and every area has its fans. Go for what calls you.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
419 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions on condos/area to stay...

Thanks Deb, The condo is pretty nice-http://www.vrbo.com/367785 but Dave recommended Mahana...If I do the Sugar Beach with a car I am still about $700 less than Kapalua, and we could do a couple of day sails with that kind of money! :) And like you, the anticipation of what our room may be like will eat at me...for 6 months!!

I can only imagine how great it must be for you to get away from Alaska in winter months. A dear friend moved a little over year ago from Palmer area. We were up there in early June last year & I fell in love, summer is

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!! Truly God's country, but the winter for an Arizona native might be too much to handle!

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
419 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions on condos/area to stay...

Thanks Travelbugged! I appreciate insight from those who have been there, so I value opinions, and recognize they are just that. No "wrong" way to think about it, just nice to hear from those who have experienced it. I lean heavily toward Kapalua because I hear so much good about it. My girlfriend who put the Kapalua bug in my ear will be there again in July. She mentioned that they always went over to the Ritz property & enjoyed their pool, etc., but I read on here they do not allow that anymore. Do you know about that?

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions on condos/area to stay...

LOL.....we go on vacation spring and fall because if we go during winter and have to come home to more winter, it is just tough. Less expensive during fall and spring, too. My dad has always called Alaska God's country and I agree. But yes, it can be cold, dark and dreary which is why we love Hawaii! And travelbugged4 called it perfect..........you cannot go wrong cause you're going to be on Maui! Deb

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinions on condos/area to stay...

Sugar Beach can be windy. Kapalua is windy and very changeable weather in December/January (some people like that). Would choose Napili Kai Resort over Kapalua . It is directly on the sandy beach.

Lahaina Shores is the one place you could almost cope with out a car. It is at the edge of the historic district of Lahaina town. It is the calmest weather in Maui.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
556 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinions on condos/area to stay...

Lahaina Shores would certainly meet your requirements of being walkable to bars & restaurants as well as shops and historical sites. Its fairly quiet with the exception of the Feast at LeLe luau which happens nightly. You will be able to hear that, but it didn't bother us during our stay.

The studios are very small - around 400 Sq Ft if memory serves and the kitchen is very small and tight. Whether this works for you depends on how much cooking you plan to do in the condo. You may want to consider a 1 bedroom depending on how much time you plan on spending in the condo.

The beach its situated on is small, but definitely suitable for an evening stroll / casual use. It isn't a snorkeling beach if that's important to you. The weather there is nearly always great. Its where the King used to hang out and they always get the best spots you know....

I may get flamed, but I'd stay away from Kapalua as the wind always seems to be blowing up there. It is beautiful though. My experience is that just about anything north of Kai Ala drive gets pretty breezy in the winter. You should be able to find that street on Google maps to get a sense of where that line is.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinions on condos/area to stay...

I've stayed at Lahaina Shores and loved it. We walked to a different restaurant every night....very nice grounds....met different people at the hot tub every evening lots of whom return there year after year...only problem was that we stayed on the mountain side and there was this rooster who figured that 3 am was the time to welcome the morning lol.