We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I the only one????

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Topic
Am I the only one????

So I'm a bit curious to find out if my husband and I are the only people who found the road to Hana something we wished we hadn't bothered with? Felt like a long boring drive to nowhere. Granted we're more the beach type than the nature hike type but still just can't drum up any enthusiasm to ever do that drive again...

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I the only one????

There are a few of us who were underwhelmed by the drive...we did enjoy the Valley Isle tour and learned a lot. I think for many of us from the NW we've driven gorgeous, windy, oceanfront roads. after 2 trips we've now put RTH in the "been there, done that" column.

No worries, not everything is for everyone!! Ha

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,002 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I the only one????

I could do this drive a thousand times and never be bored or not liking it. Thing is, different people like different things, that is what makes us unique human beings!! Nothing wrong with that. Glad you did it yourself to find out whether or not it was for you!!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I the only one????

Good example why we try to get the folks that ask.."What are the must do?" that our must dos might be their must dos.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I the only one????

I love that drive and would be happy to do it every trip! My husband is not such a fan and we compromise by only going as far as Wa'ianapanapa State Park and some trips only to Ke'anae.......LOL!

Living in Alaska, our coastal drives will literally take your breath away, surrounded by mountains and sheer beauty. But the feeling I have driving the Hana drive is different, surreal and amazing. Our kids can also do without it. We are also total beach people!!!!

I say do what feels good on Maui and it is different for everyone! Deb

Seattle
Level Contributor
906 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I the only one????

I'm somewhere in the middle. Done it once, would love to do it again after reading so much here on the forum, but only if it fits into our bigger plans. More of a "hey honey, since we're up early, and the bay is choppy..." sort of thing. So I have to admit I am surprised how many people have it in their must-do lists. Frankly, I think just relaxing, checking out beaches, being in the water, eating the fruit are my must-dos for Maui.

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I the only one????

Didn;t do it last time but fell I need to do it on our next trip. Going to spend a night in Hana to do some hiking the next am.

Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
603 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I the only one????

Maui is our least favorite island ... Not that we don't like it, but most of the others "rate" higher to us for one reason or another. That being said, the one reason that I would like to go back to Maui someday ... IS because of the RTH! We spent 3 days in Hana last year, and just love Wai'anapanapa State park. So gorgeous and beautiful hikes. And would like to revisit Pi'ilanihale heiau again, which is the largest in the state and just awesome to us.

So, to each his own. Luckily there is something for everyone on Maui!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I the only one????

I think there is a "psyche" factor. You read that it is long, twisty, gorgeous - that you have a heck of a long day ahead of you - and at the end is Hana. Not much there. So you go a bit beyond Hana to the National Park and a few other sites before turning back.

I think that you would enjoy it more, as mamma said (and as I have done) on a tour. Or go part way and turn back, spending the balance of your day Upcountry. Or just go as far as you want and spend the rest of the day at that point.

Visitors often feel that they have to accomplish certain things on a Hawaiian vacation. Not so. While we all have our list of must-do's ... that list can become a marathon - especially for first-timers ... and it is no longer fun.

And like anywhere else in Hawaii (or traveling anywhere, actually) the more you know about the area - the more fulfilling the trip will be. That's another reason why I enjoyed taking a tour: learned alot, no driving and saw new spots.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 19:14
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I the only one????

We have gone several times just part way. Kinda one of those things where you wake up in the morning and trying to figure out what to do that day but everyone's sunburnt so that really limits your options so we decide to just go out and drive! Sometimes it's upcountry. Sometimes it the partial RTH. Sometimes it's Southern Maui. This way there is no pressure on us to "finish" and we turn around when we feel like we've had our fill. We have done it start to finish twice though. Each time we find different stops and fruit stands and such.

I honestly think as others have said, people put too much pressure on themselves to do so much when on the island that an entire day on the RTH is stressing them out because that's an entire doing just one thing when they could be checking off multiple things off their list. Does this make sense? Basically a lot of what BLBL just said! LOL!

Edited: 18 June 2013, 19:38
Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I the only one????

I've been trying to figure out if my husband and I should do it when we come in August. This is our first trip to Maui. We have been to hawaii once before 2 years ago and visited oahu and Kauai. We LOVED them both! Mainly the north shore of Oahu. I didn't love Waikiki as much but hey it's still paradise ;-) anyhow were visiting maui for 2 weeks in August and I am wondering if well like the RTH. I don't love being in a car for extended periods, not a huge hiker either. But I did thoroughly enjoy driving around Kauai and Oahu looking at the ocean and mountains. I also see someone here saying they didn't love Maui compared to the other islands. Gosh I hope it's as pretty as Oahu and Kauai ! I'd be so sad if we don't like it compared to the others. We just want beautiful beaches with clear, blue water and snorkeling and some beautiful mountains and scenery to look at. Doesn't Maui have this? Sorry to hijack this thread!

Andi