We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much for a mango on Maui?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
119 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
How much for a mango on Maui?

Reading UNCMOM's post got me thinking about food shopping. I've already been warned to expect to pay double for groceries, just curious if fruits that grow in Hawaii cost less or does it make any difference in the price.

Here in Portland OR, I can buy 1 mango for between .78 cents and $1.25 depending on where I shop. How much for a mango on Maui?

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much for a mango on Maui?

About the same. I saw several places with mango priced at 10 for $10 as the regular everyday price. We just returned and found the "pay double" to be untrue on most items. Dairy products and boxed cereals are close to double ($5.25'ish for a gal of milk) as were some sodas, but most stuff was only 10-20% more than home. We bought what was on sale at the grocery store (we got a Safeway savings card), but we do that at home anyway. Fruit was similar in price to home with a few things being a little more and some being a little less.

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much for a mango on Maui?

Here's the Safeway weekly ad to give you some ideas of prices. This is based on the Lahaina store but I doubt it's different for any of their stores on Maui. We found the Times Supermarket to be a little pricier, but sometimes more convenient. We didn't try any of the Foodland stores so I can't comment on their prices.

…safeway.com/customer_Frame.jsp…

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much for a mango on Maui?

I find the fruits and veggies to be cheaper at the farmers markets here than the grocery stores here.

I can tell you that the produce section in the stores here are much higher than the ones at home for us so it's best to go with the local stuff for produce.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much for a mango on Maui?

Priceless! - - add airfare.... never mind - - nothing you buy at home is going to taste like the juices of Maui running down your chin and making sticky on your arm! Farmers Market - right now there are mangos ripening like crazy - - those things you get at Safeway were picked green and shipped in, try local and taste the difference.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much for a mango on Maui?

We try to find the local farmer's markets to purchase our mango, papaya, and other yummy treats grown in Hawaii. The quality is usually better and pricing is sometimes much lower than the grocery stores. Once in a while you will find a roadside stand (we saw this on Big Island) that is "on your honor" take what you want to purchase and leave the money in a jar.....what a nice concept. Unfortunately not so in the Bay Area or most mainland cities for sure!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much for a mango on Maui?

The only problem we have is the pricing. here in Michigan a lot of the fruits and vegtables are priceed by the piece (like cantalope are $2 each) and almost everything in Hawaii is by the pound. Once you get used to it it is not bad but we do weigh most everything just to be sure of what we will need to pay.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much for a mango on Maui?

I thought the fruit prices would be lower here than where I came from (Colorado) but found out that wasn't the case. Sometimes prices at the farmers markets can be more than the grocery store, especially if the grocery store has a sale. I paid quite a bit more for Kula strawberries at a farmers market than they were at Safeway. It "pays" to shop smart and compare.

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much for a mango on Maui?

msfuzz, I found the same with some Maui Gold pineapple on Oahu. Safeway had them on sale and were cheaper than the farmers markets. Conversely, I found apple bananas from a tree in the seller's front yard at a stand on RTH that were cheaper than the grocery store.

I started at the grocery store (needed stuff there anyway) and bought enough fruit for a day or two. Then if I found something cheaper or different at a farmers market or stand, I got it there and added to my supply. If not, I went back and got more at the grocery store. Since we were going by a Safeway or other grocer at least every other day, it wasn't an extra trip to do so.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much for a mango on Maui?

Amen on shopping smart. Kula strawberries at the Kula farm's roadside market was $6. But at Mana Foods the exact same.. $4.00 At Swap Meet $3.00

Different Farmers Market will have different prices on same items.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much for a mango on Maui?

Some of the roadside stands in tourist areas will charge crazy high prices. I think I paid $5 for a bunch of 4 little apple bananas in January at a stand near Big Beach, but I wanted some and I wanted them "now"! Lol! I think they were selling junky jewelry like you can get super cheap at ABC Stores saying, "My mother makes these," and asking $40 for a $5 necklace! Usually the farmers markets have the best fruit for the best prices, but they might not. I've seen the honor stands in front of people's homes mostly in the summer with flowers too, love that!

When we were on our first family trip to Maui it was exactly this time of year. We stayed in a townhome in Puamana, a neighborhood on the south end of Lahaina. There are two beautiful huge mango trees in the yard by the clubhouse, an old plantation house. The mangos were too high to reach without a ladder, but people would just stand under the trees and pretty soon some ripe fruit would fall. We would pick it up and eat them just like Lesrose says with "juice running down your arm" or make the best ever smoothies and salsa! My kids just loved that, but I loved it even more! What a great memory! That is what a mango should taste like!!!

Edited: 20 June 2013, 19:28