We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Changes Booked - 242 Days to go!!!

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Changes Booked - 242 Days to go!!!

After much hand wringing and indecisiveness, which many of you were witness to, I have changed my 12 nights at Kihei Surfside to:

7 nights @ Kihei Surfside

1 Night at Hana Kai (hard to find a place in Hana for one night)

4 nights at Mahana

Loving the fact that I get a little bit of everything this trip. Didn;t see Hana or Kapalua/Napili last time, so glad to be able to get there this time.

Also would be a long drive from Kihei to Star Noodle - much closer from Mahana.

Cars reserved, flights reserved, counting down!

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Changes Booked - 242 Days to go!!!

You didn't go for Mike's Shack or whatever it was called? I was anxious to hear how it was! I don't know what the KS is like, and whether they have any sort of front desk, but I wonder if you could leave the bulk of your luggage there for your Hana trip, just taking a small bag, and then pick it up on your way back...slightly out of your way, but maybe better peace of mind while doing the RTH stops?

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Changes Booked - 242 Days to go!!!

Seattle - thought hard about Mack's Shack but on all these small shack type places I am reading about lots of wildlife and insects. Not my speed. Give me a clean hotel room any day!! Especially for close to the same price.

Last trip our bags both fit in the trunk of the car easily (carry on only). So I think I will carry my backpack and not open the trunk, so no one will know there is anything in there.

If not then I will ask at KS, can't hurt.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,405 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Changes Booked - 242 Days to go!!!

The front desk at Kihei Surfside isn't open 24 hours. I don't think it would work leaving your luggage there, as it is only an office, not a lobby at all. But Francine might be able to make it work for you. No harm in asking, that is for sure.

You have a good plan DP, carrying your valuables with you, and just don't open the trunk. A lot of the stops along the way are small pull outs, and you are pretty close to the car most of the time anyway. The one exception would be Waianapanapa Park. And there, you are close enough to Hana, that you could go check in, dump the luggage, then go back to the park.

It will be just wonderful to get to Oheo Gulch first thing the next morning and hike the Pipiwai Trail with so few people.

Happy that you have it all organized now!

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Changes Booked - 242 Days to go!!!

Joan - that is our plan for the morning - hiking the trail first thing.

The replanning was so much fun!

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,487 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Changes Booked - 242 Days to go!!!

DP, sounds like a fantastic trip! You did good!

Now what will you do for the next 242 days????

Maybe you could find the perfect condo on Kauai for me in March!?!? ;-)

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Changes Booked - 242 Days to go!!!

Good job DP.... Planning is half the fun!

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Changes Booked - 242 Days to go!!!

Teri - I am totally up for the challenge!

We stayed in a great one in Poipu Kapili.

8. Re: Hotel Changes Booked - 242 Days to go!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 07:18