We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare for February question.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
765 posts
237 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare for February question.

So we are back to Maui for two Weeks at the end of February beginning of March. We have never been at this time of year, we usually come off season in the fall. Airfares are way higher than in the fall, I expected higher but yikes! Should I be buying now and cut my losses or wait and expect a special during that time?

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare for February question.

We are booked through the end of this year and are waiting for a sale before purchasing any 2014 travel except award tickets. Extremely high prices all the way to 330 days out.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare for February question.

The time you intend to visit is High Season with Christmas season perhaps being a little busier. It is the height of whale season and there are also many locales that have a school term break at this time.

It is an extremely popular time to visit Maui.

Many folks book their Airfares for that time as soon as the seats are released(330 days out)It has been my experience flying a variety of different Airlines and various routings that the prices usually continue to rise...until sold out

It becomes a guessing game as when to purchase and of course past trends do not necessarily predict the future.You must decide when the price suits you. Most Airlines will offer a credit voucher less a small handling fee($40 or so) if you notice a significant price drop and contact them.This voucher usually is good for one year from the date of issue.

Airline fare buckets can be a rather fickle thing.....and the varying prices that passengers on the same flight end up paying when it is all said and done. While it would be most ideal if one could know to purchase a fare for Feb...on say the second Tuesday in September for the lowest pricing.....it doesn't usually pan out that way.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,586 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare for February question.

Depends on the airlines, but Alaska usually offers specials in the fall - that is when I usually book for Feb or March travel. Mileage tickets can be booked far out - they usually only go up for premium destinations like Hawaii. Good luck! :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare for February question.

We fly to Maui every year in Feb. and I usually catch a fare sale in Sept or Oct. on Hawaiian. I'm sure I'll be paying more this year.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
119 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare for February question.

I agree that September is a good time to check. I don't think of Feb as high season because it's not a school vacation period most places in the US. You are right in between Christmas and Spring break which should be a 'shoulder' season. I think only the fall will have lower fares. It will certainly be less expensive than summer fares.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
765 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare for February question.

I bought them- I am frequent with Hawaiian and looked around and everyone was close in price so why not get the miles- sooo- I go one and look!- If we go a day early we save A LOT. Can we stand another night in Maui waking up Oceanfront to watch whales (our condo had the date available). Let me see, uh yes! So we paid $500 per person round trip which is what we have paid in the past off season- I don't even care if the drop some- I now can dream in earnest with it all booked!

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare for February question.

I booked my flights on Hawaiian for Feb 25 to March 9th already. I keep watching in case they go down so I can request a voucher.

So far they have only gone higher.

But I think I got a good rate (one way was with miles), would have been about $ 650 pp RT from JFK to Maui.

Heck to fly my son RT form JFK to Pittsburgh (1 hr 15 min flight) next month is $ 371 so I think I got a good deal.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare for February question.

Good for you ClaudiaC..

Great feeling to have it all booked ....and for a pretty good price too!

You are wise to have it all sewn up for your Feb visit......it is indeed a popular time.......Oh those whales!

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
765 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare for February question.

DP- I think so too. Not bad- I will watch so I can get a voucher too but the pressure is off. The fares I choose said "only 3 left at this price" but who knows...I don't care, I am going back to Maui!

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare for February question.

I used my voucher to book my tickets for this trip. With miles and vouchers tickets cost us under $200 for 2 RT tickets.