We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Newcastle, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay

Hi all, we are a family of 4 heading to Maui in late January 2014. I would appreciate any ideas as to where to stay for a week. We will have a hire car so we can get around, but would like to have a beachside base.

Thanks

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

A budget would be a big help, you can get a room at the 4 Seasons for around 600.00 to 800.00 a night or get a two bed two bath condo for at least half that. If I were going in Jan. 2014, I would move quick on your rooms, lot's of condos already booked solid through March.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

What's your lodging budget? Many families like condos; do you? I hope you have already reserved your car -- this is High Season on Maui, and they do run out of vehicles. I would stay south of Napili and Kapalua in January. Actually, we stay in South Kihei January and February. Oceans will be calmer off South Maui, and it is a more convenient base if you plan to tour the island. If you want a 'buzzier' location, stay Kaanapali.

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

I just realized rooms at the 4 Seasons start at around 850.00 per night in Jan., so 600.00 per night would be a "steal". LOL

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,324 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

What do you know about Maui? Where do you want to stay? We can toss out all kinds of ideas, but you need to get a basic understanding of your options. Do you have a good travel guidebook or two for Maui? And a map?

There are two general areas where visitors stay - South and West Maui. In West Maui are Lahaina, Ka'anapali and wonderful places to the north of there. In the South there is Wailea and Kihei. Again, these are the main areas, but not the only areas.

You need to determine if you want a resort or a condo ... and what your nightly budget is. We can't help you much without your nightly budget, as the priced vary widely.

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay

We loved our time at the Honua Kai condos. :)

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay

Top three condo ideas would be

Maui Kaanapali Villas, oceanfront in Kaanapali Resort Development, (medium priced)

Kaanapali Alii, oceanfront in Kaanapali Resort Development, delux

Lahaina Shores oceanfront in downtown Lahaina, medium.

Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay

We really enjoyed both the Maui Kai and the Mahana. They are condos, beside each other in Kaanapali. They are both right on the beach, all rooms have an ocean front view. In Jan the whales will be very active and it's spectacular to sit outside and watch the whales. Both also have a pool, hot tub and BBQ area.

The Mahana is newer and bigger. It has studio, 1 and 2 bedroom units. The Maui Kai only has 1 bedroom units, I think. However, that may work for you as most units have a pull out couch in the living room. I guess it depends on how old everyone is and how much privacy you need.

We booked both thru VRBO and were very happy on both trips. I would be sure to speak to the owner and look at lots of photos even if you don't go thru VRBO. Units are individually owned and some are very very dated. Expect to pay between $250 - $350 per night as Jan is high season.

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay

I suggest that with 2 kids you will be better off in a condo. There is a lot of money to be saved in staying in for breakfast and lunches. Also you will have more room in a condo than in a hotel room.

West Maui is a great location. Kaanapali is fine and is known for its great beaches. I must warn you that the Maui Kai and the Mahana are not really in Kaanapali but actually they are in Honokawai. Although the Mahana and Maui Kai are great ocean front complexes - they are not on a good beach. Their beach is somewhat small and very rocky.

You may want to try the Kaanapali Beach Resort or Maui Kaanapali Villas for a better beach experience.

9. Re: Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 06:19