We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching ???? Need some Expertise !!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching ???? Need some Expertise !!!

My wife and I would like to see the Beautiful Whales of Maui .. What is the Very Best Whale Watching Tour in Maui ? We have 30 people going on the trip but not sure how many of those want to join us on the same tour . Thank you in advance for any help !!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,884 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching ???? Need some Expertise !!!

Larry ... when are you visiting Maui?? This is a key question.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching ???? Need some Expertise !!!

We have not set a month yet but I'm looking at going at the very best time for whale watching !!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,884 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching ???? Need some Expertise !!!

Oh, OK ... February or March. I highly recommend Trilogy. http://www.sailtrilogy.com/whale/ Looks like your party could have the whole catamaran. And you can shove off from Ka'anapali ... so convenient. The whales are a real delight, but the views of West Maui from the water are amazing, too. (Your group will be SO impressed!)

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching ???? Need some Expertise !!!

I would try and contact Flip Nicklin. He would be a great on water or on land speaker.

or Whale Trust

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching ???? Need some Expertise !!!

Middle of January and all month of February are the prime times for the whales. By March a lot of them have already left going back north

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,884 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching ???? Need some Expertise !!!

Not necessarily so, Rexster. We need the definitive voice of the venerable msfuzz for the last word.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,499 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Watching ???? Need some Expertise !!!

IMHO, the best months for whale watching are Jan. Feb. and March. Counts don't start dwindeling unil about the second week in April. Of course, whales don't keep to our calander and counts fluctuate but i've seen tons of whales around Maui in March.

Almost all whale watching tours are created equal, the one's I wouldn't go on are those with the Pacific Whale Foundation, mainly due to their use of very large boats with hundreds of people.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 03:43
Plover, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
535 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Watching ???? Need some Expertise !!!

Pacific Whale Foundation also now has a couple small boats with aluminum hulls and flotation around the perimeter like the coast guard uses.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale Watching ???? Need some Expertise !!!

I'll echo msfuzz and BLBL... January through March is prime whale time and Trilogy (highly recommended) would be so convenient there from Ka'anapali.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,271 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale Watching ???? Need some Expertise !!!

You don't HAVE to do a whale watch. You'll see plenty from shore, or...just get out on the water on any watercraft, and they will come to you if they've a mind to. You might kayak. You might take a snorkeling excursion -- to Lanai or just along the coast of Maui. Trilogy is popular. Blue Water Rafting is fun for the able-bodied (more speed in a smaller inflatable).

If you want to come THIS spring, get busy. January through the middle of April is heavily booked every year. If you want to be on Maui for Whale Day (mid-February), you are starting late.

Have you checked flights TO Maui?

Will you need rental vehicles? Most visitors to Maui reserve rental cars for airport pickup.