We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kihei

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
97 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Kihei

This summer will be my third trip to Maui (yes, I'm clearly hooked!). I'm staying in the Honokowai area and know the west side well. I've driven around Wailea and checked out a couple of the beaches but I have yet to go to Kihei. Is there anything to see/do/places to eat in Kihei where I should stop? Coconuts is on the list, but what else? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,259 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kihei

The Huli Huli chicken at the roadside stand at the green church in Kihei is so good! You can get a meal of chicken, corn and rice, or just the chicken on it's own, and they also do ribs. You'll find them on Saturdays, and maybe Wednesday, here: http://goo.gl/maps/bkmqb Go early ... e.g. for lunch, because I think the chicken sells out by mid-afternoon.

Mentioned in this post
Huli Huli Chicken
Huli Huli Chicken
224 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kihei

Many places to eat..you have a very good one on the list. If you arrive in time for breakfast stop in at Kihei Cafe.

See/do places..some nice family beaches like the 3 Kam grouping, Kam I, Kam II and Kam III and Keawakapu Beach. What we like is to drive past Makena until the road ends at La Perouse Bay, you will drive through the lave fields. On your way back stop and check out Big Beach, be careful of the wicked shore break.

When you drove around Wailea did you walk the beach path? You can park at the Polo Beach county lot behind Kea Lani Fairmont hotel and walk the beach walk along the resort area of Wailea. Stroll and shop at the Shops of Wailea.

Three's Bar and Grill, Monkey Pod and Five Palms have nice happy hours.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Keawakapu Beach
Keawakapu Beach
438 Reviews
Maui, HI
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
775 Reviews
Maui, HI
La Perouse Bay
La Perouse Bay
149 Reviews
Maui, HI
Big Beach
Big Beach
241 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Polo Beach
Polo Beach
265 Reviews
Maui, HI
Three's Bar and Grill
Three's Bar and Grill
1,619 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kihei

Coconuts is nothing special. It is overpriced, and only tourists go there now.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kihei

Does anyone know what is in Huli Huli chicken? Is it marinated in soy sauce? I can't have gluten :(

Mentioned in this post
Huli Huli Chicken
Huli Huli Chicken
224 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kihei

I doubt it has soy. It is more of a slow dry roasted, smoked mesquite chicken. Huli means to turn over in Hawaiian

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kihei

Thanks for the answer. Sorry to hijack thread

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kihei

Andi, many of the huli huli sauces have soy sauce as a main ingredient. But all "roadside" grill chicken doesn't taste the same. You would need to ask the vendor.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kihei

On the topic of gluten free, there is a gluten free pizza place in Kihei now that people seem to like - maui brick oven.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
775 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kihei

The Kam 1,2,3 beaches are great. If you are spending the day 808 deli is a great spot for picking up lunch for the beach. Yummy sandwiches, hot dogs, and salads. If you have a menu ahead of time, you can call you order in and pop over and pick it up. We did this many many times on our last visit.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,151 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kihei

Unless you want to poke along on Kihei Road through North and Central Kihei, take Pi'ilanai Hwy. and drop down at Pi'ikea to get to Coconut's. We drop down at Kilohana (border between Kihei and Wailea) and backtrack to Keawakapu and the Kamaole's -- or go south to Shops At Wailea (several restaurants in there). Five Palms is beachfront in the Mana Kai condo-tel that fronts Keawakapu. Gannon's (above Wailea) has B,L,D and a panoramic view. All of Maui's top hotels except the Ritz are in Wailea, and all have restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Keawakapu Beach
Keawakapu Beach
438 Reviews
Maui, HI
Mana Kai Maui