We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to Stay in Maui

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Place to Stay in Maui

Well, it looks like we're going to Maui in Sept. for 8 nights. It looks like either the Southern Side or the Western Side would work for snorkeling. We'd like a condo with a kitchen. We're looking at a budget of about $200 a night. We aren't really looking for nightlife but would like a nice beach although we would be willing to walk a bit to get there if necessary. Not being too far from restaurants would be a plus. Where would be good places to stay? Thank you.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
909 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to Stay in Maui

I use this website to look for accommodations:

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

Once I figure out where I would like to stay, I use VRBO and search for the resort:

www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/maui

I think a budget of $200 a night is very reasonable and you should be able to find something.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to Stay in Maui

Maui El Dorado is where I'm staying and it's under $200 per night :) full kitchen too and in a great area!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to Stay in Maui

To check for west Maui accommodations, suggest putting your dates into these two sites to see what comes up in the way of availability within your price range.

http://www.westmauicondos.com/

www.kaanapalibeachrentals.com/index.php

Once you have a short list of possibilities, we can help with narrowing down your choices.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to Stay in Maui

As far as budget, we were hoping the $200 would include taxes and other condo costs.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to Stay in Maui

You'll want to find something that is priced at around $165/nt ($1155. per week). With taxes (13.42% and cleaning fee, that will bring the total up to approx. $200. night. Check to see if there is any mention of parking or amenity fees. If renting on VRBO, you'll usually be asked for a damage deposit (refunded after your stay, providing there is no damage). However, instead, some owners offer damage insurance ... a flat fee of approx. $40.

If you rent privately, it's best to pay by credit card instead of by check. Agencies (such as the ones I provided links for above) take credit cards at no extra fee.

6. Re: Place to Stay in Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 July 2013, 13:35
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to Stay in Maui

Thanks everyone for all your help. I've started to do some looking and have come up with some condos that may work. First of all, we're also now looking at Maui Coast Hotel also--looks nice. For condos, we're considering Maui Eldorado, Maui Kai, Kihei Surfside, and Kamole Sands. Also, ChiSue sent me a personal email suggesting I rent her own condo at Maui Kamole. (Sorry, ChiSue, haven't had a chance to check out your condo yet but I'll try to do that soon.) One other place that might work is the hotel Royal Lahaina. It looks like a beautiful beach there. Any thoughts about my choices so far? Thank you.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to Stay in Maui

I've stayed at the Maui Coast on more than one occasion. It's a nice hotel, very non-descript like you would find anywhere on the mainland. Did love their poolside cocktails and hot tubs though.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to Stay in Maui

I've stayed at the Royal Lahaina I thought it was very nice - an older hotel with character. The tower rooms there are the way to go. Nice restaurant, small but nice pool area. Beach was ok as I recall, but you can walk around to Kaanapali beach at Black rock. Reasonable rates but they charge a resort fee.

Dave

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
424 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to Stay in Maui

If you are a Costco Member, check out CostcoTravel.com...I just put in 9/14-9/22 as a sample date range, and including your car rental I had 10 offers under $2100, 3 of them were at $1250 or under...Obviously you can upgrade accomodations/car and spend more, but those prices look in budget, especially with a car! The biggest drawback is you will not be able to pick the room like you can with VRBO or other rental agencies...If you go that route, Costco offers rental cars up to a full-size for $310 & under for those same dates...Others also recommend DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com to check the rates. Have a great trip!