We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

80 Days til Maui-What do you do to get ready long term?

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
80 Days til Maui-What do you do to get ready long term?

This count began at at around 335 days, so it feels very close now!!! So close in fact that I contemplated packing my bag......the sun has been gone for awhile and I realize we could be on the downside of my need for summer clothes. I decided to hold off.......

It got me thinking about what I could accomplish now to get ready long-term for our three week trip to Oahu and Maui. I have a few to do's on my list now that will help me be better prepared. I was curious if you had any to add! There have been several threads lately about short term prep, but I haven't seen one of this nature.

1. Become comfortable using my new camera and especially the self-timer and tripod.

2. Delete as many photos off my iPhone as possible to make it easier to sort through new vacation photos for trip report blog.

3. Become more knowledgeable about driving on Oahu by driving the island on Google maps.

4. Toss any items I will need into my carry-on........if I do not need them at home.

5. I found my way back to the gym treadmill because I cannot hike every day of the week, but I can use incline to stay in shape for the hikes I want to do on Maui.

6. Begin checking the MACC calendar weekly for events.

7. Clean bad photos off the desktop to make it easier to sort through new vacation photos. Become more knowledgable about my camera editing programs now.

8. Organize my trip files saves so they make sense and the info is current. Begin the list of "Must Do's" and " want to to do's".

9. Inspired by RachelandJoel....... Learn how to make a YouTube video and get comfortable using the film function on my fancy camera!

Yes......while the vacation is close, it is still not close enough. Do you have any tips to help a person get ready now, for a vacation still in the distance? Deb

P.S. I encourage everyone to please do trip reports for those of us waiting for our turn on Maui......Lol!!!

New Berlin, WI
Level Contributor
466 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 80 Days til Maui-What do you do to get ready long term?

Deb, you are a lovely person, love your thread! Long term I buy anything "summer" I need now as our summer clothes, shoes, bags, etc. will be gone from the stores shortly. We booked our trip yesterday and I just got my new aqua socks for Maui Jan 2014 today (and an extra pair to have on hand for Maui 2015)! Other than that, this far out (6 months) I work as hard as I can every single day at my business, long hours, stress and all, knowing I will get relief and time to unwind and recharge on Maui, knowing I will be rewarded with our trip. I will take the bumps on the road of life much easier knowing we are doing what makes us happy and that is heading back to Maui. Oh yeah, and I will hang out with all my TA Maui "cult" friends until we go and beyond!

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 80 Days til Maui-What do you do to get ready long term?

Read this forum and bookmark things that I want to do.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 80 Days til Maui-What do you do to get ready long term?

<< Become more knowledgeable about driving on Oahu by driving the island on Google maps.>> I'd spend some quality time with real, paper maps as well! Ones that shows the topography as well as the roads. You will need and want a wider prospective than electronic maps can offer. Try Amazon or AAA ... and if you look at the "Top Questions" for both Islands, I think there is a map reference as well. If you need help with this, let us know.

<< Toss any items I will need into my carry-on........if I do not need them at home.>> I try not to do that. I forget what I put where. A "staging area" is a good idea, but I would not "pack" anything.

<<6. Begin checking the MACC calendar weekly for events.>> Well, yes, and mele.com as well. And the StarAdvertiser (Honolulu newspaper). Maui News, too.

<<Clean bad photos off the desktop to make it easier to sort through new vacation photos.>> OK, now I'm feeling guity!

<<8. Organize my trip files saves so they make sense and the info is current. Begin the list of "Must Do's" and " want to to do's". Do you have a draft packing list in there as well? It's a good idea!

Clothes and shoes. I know that you will experience a much larger variance than I will ... but still, that's an issue for me. I leave for Oahu late in October - when we are back in blue jeans and sweaters here. I need to start thinking of what goes to Hawaii, and what can be packed away.

So you are leaving mid-September? I do alot of travel in the fall - my favorite season - and I try to have my flu shot before I leave. Why? The flights. It may be a tad early for you, and it takes a couple weeks for the flu shots to become effective ... but think about it.

Seattle
Level Contributor
906 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 80 Days til Maui-What do you do to get ready long term?

Start checking your rental car rates periodically to see if they've dropped (unless you booked a package). We were able to "rebook" and saved about $30 over our initial booking rate. Not a ton, but worth a couple of mai tais and an appy at Monkeypod!

Need to organize pet care? I have a terrible tendency to forget til the last moment. Thank goodness everyone loved our doggie, and I was always able to get her in last minute, but I don't recommend it! On this same note, if you're boarding your pets, you may need to check their vaccination records, e.g. bordatella, especially.

Need refills on medications? Some require a visit if your refills are all used up, so check and schedule any necessary appointments. Nowadays, we rarely actually "get" a written prescription as they are often faxed in to the pharmacy. But in the unfortunate event that you might forget your meds, make sure you either have a copy of the 'scripts, or that you use a pharmacy like Walgreens that will be able to look your script up on line, even in another state. Valuable service if you lose, run out or forget important meds.

What fun problems you have! But don't wish away the summer--enjoy your long days!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 80 Days til Maui-What do you do to get ready long term?

Around 80 days out, I started looking for a new pair of Sanuk sandals on sale (scored a pair of Fault Lines for about 1/2 price) and I start watching old episodes of Hawaii Five-0 on my Tivo. I also ordered a Chromebook to travel with, in lieu of a real laptop.

Around 40 days out, I ordered new memory cards for camera (what's an extra 64 GB between friends).

About 20 days out (today), I started trying to see which shorts still fit. My wife bought a new backpack and swears we're going hiking this year.

Next step is to start narrowing down the list of restaurants we're going to visit on Oahu and Big Island. Maui, we always play by ear. Addiitonally, I have to figure out how the photo workflow works on the chromebook, since I like editing my pictures during the trip.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 80 Days til Maui-What do you do to get ready long term?

Well I'm at 55 days so I'm kinda approaching the final stage :) But I've been doing several things. I've been reading the trip reports of course. Been making mental notes about activities for this trip...."will we do the RTH this year? probably not.......Wow the ferry to Lanai sounds like fun - never done that before," etc etc.

Also, I have a new tablet, a Nook HD+, that I've been modifying and setting up with some magazines and High def movies to watch on the plane. Just bought a portable charger so I can recharge on the flight if I have to :)

But mostly just anticipating. I know the drill, Deb, I know you do too. We have luggage, bathing suits etc. Mostly I'm just thinking how happy and grateful I am to be able to go somewhere that we love so much.

I'll be sure to check in from Napili - you'll be in that final stage then :)

Dave

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 80 Days til Maui-What do you do to get ready long term?

OK - this may seem silly, but I pay ahead on my utility bills so I have a "free month" when I get home. Justifies some of those little purchases I succumb to.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 80 Days til Maui-What do you do to get ready long term?

I forgot to add:

Adding digital book samples to my Kindle. That way, as I finish books, I have a list of options to look at and I can buy the ones I like. I like to use the samples as a potential reading list and I add books anytime I see something interesting or someone recommends something.

Buying old fashioned, "analog" books to read on the beach.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 80 Days til Maui-What do you do to get ready long term?

Grandeau - I've been posting on the Boston Forum. Wanna take a look?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 80 Days til Maui-What do you do to get ready long term?

Make a dentist appointment for cleaning & checkup. Pearly whites & no surprises!

Make a short list of accommodations that peaked my interest so I can check them out for next time!

Research local & seasonal food availability & some new, easy, no fuss recipes. Maybe do a trial run for tweaking if possible. Toss small ziplocs of required herbs & spices in the ' go to Maui' basket. Start shopping list for whatever else needs to be picked up locally. By the time I go I have a few days of meal planning done and provisioning is a breeze. Sounds a bit nutty I guess, but I get sick & tired of planning & cooking meals and can't afford to eat out that much. I find that having a few things thought out already is a great stress reliever!