We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from Maui! Days 1 & 2!!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Live from Maui! Days 1 & 2!!!

Hey everyone! Having a fabulous time so far! Can't believe we've only been here 2 days! Seems like forever! Love that feeling! :) lets see how my memory works! Lol!

Cast of characters: I'm 39 and husband is 40. Two kids with us are 13 and 14. We have an 18 year old son too but he's in Florida at Disneyworld finishing up his culinary internship with the mouse. This is mine and the hubby's 5th trip to the magical island of Maui and the boys 3rd.

Monday morning woke up bright and early to catch our 9am flight out of LAX. The day before when I went to check in and print up boarding passes I was asked if I wanted to upgrade for $200 (each) to first class? Um, let me think about that... YES!!! Off to a great start! Flight was fabulous and let me just say that AA first class blows away Delta's! Landed at OGG about noon. Hubby picked up rental car while the boys and I grabbed luggage. Headed off towards Kaanapali and all is well! Hubby spotted Leodas Pie Shop in Olowalu and immediately stopped in! Lol! I had showed him pics and reviews before our trip and he was excited about it! Lol! We ordered some of the corn hand pies and hubby had a beef and mushroom pit pie and we got a lime pie along with a choc Mac nut pie! Omg! Everything was pretty good! The corn pies though could have used a bit more filling. Anyway.... Off to the Westin Hotel! Check in went smoothly. Got our mountain view room with 2 doubles and all is well! Went down to the pool so kids could swim a bit and mom and dad could have some poolside Mai Tais! Life is beautiful!

Got cleaned up and went next door to Whalers Village for dinner (and more Mai Tais!) at Leilani's. everything was wonderful! Afterwards we all decided the long day had hit us like a brick wall! We went straight to bed and everyone was snoring by 8:00! Lol! You can probably only imagine the things I hear in the middle of the night sharing a room with my husband and 2 teenage sons! Lol!

Day 2:

Started off with our kayak excursion with Kelii's. I was pretty ok with this after posting my question a while back about how the heck to eat back into the kayak after getting out to snorkel. Well, let me just say this: hubby and I don't kayak we'll together and it's not as easy as everyone makes it seem to get back in! Lol! It was a total comedy of errors out there! I felt like I was in an episode of I Love Lucy! Lol! Two feet from the beach hubby and I tipped over! He had to push me back up to get back in the kayak after I swallowed a huge mouthful of seawater! Lol! I am sure out guide, Derek, got a chuckle out of us! Lol! Back on dry land now, I can laugh about it! :)

After I kissed the beach so happy to be back on dry land, we headed back to the resort to shower off the salt water and headed to Hula Grill for lunch! Our waiter was so cool and friendly! I wish I could remember his name. He worked it for his tips which we were more than happy to give. Fish tacos were wonderful and they all got the Kalua Pig and pineapple pizza with Maui onions. OMG! that was amazing!!! The well deserved Bikini Blonde beer was the highlight if my afternoon! Lol!! After a bunch of shopping and walking around Whalers, we decided it was time to cool off and kids wanted to do the waterslide some more. Ended up playing an awesome family game of volleyball and basketball! Love these moments! This is exactly why we go on vacation! Really missing my 18 year old son at this point though! :(

After the pool we went up and got cleaned up again and grabbed the free shuttle to Lahaina. Had a nice rooftop dinner at Koa's. talked to the owner a bit and he seemed like a really nice guy. I just wish our waitress was better. She had like zero enthusiasm and hardly ever came by to fuill up waters or poor our wine. I didn't care though because we were sitting over the water and the sun was setting and I was with my family! All is well! :) went and did some shopping (again! Lol!) and headed back to the resort about 9:30. Hubby and the boys conked out hard! Lol! Sun and fun caught up with them!

Today is day #3 off our adventure and hubby and 13 year old are out golfing at the Kaanapali Kai course which I'm looking at while laying in bed typing this up! 14 year old son is blissfully snoring away. Loving some quiet time this morning to just chill and drink my iced coffee hubby brought me up from Starbucks this morning! Life is wonderful! Aloha and mahalo for reading my super long TR! :)

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live from Maui! Days 1 & 2!!!

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time! I look forward to further live updates.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,870 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live from Maui! Days 1 & 2!!!

Always love a ride-along! Sounds like you are off to a great start on your vacation. Looking forward to reading more.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live from Maui! Days 1 & 2!!!

Sounds great! I appreciate the restaurant comments. Can relate to the nighttime noises as we travel with our 2 teenage boys also; one of them talks in his sleep, LOL! Can't wait to get there in... 21 days!!!! :)

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Live from Maui! Days 1 & 2!!!

I love this trip report start!! And NO the kayaking isn't NEARLY as easy as it seems. My husband rowed me into the bushes in Kauai and I was fuming mad! I wouldn't do it again. He tried to be all macho saying he could do all the work himself and I could sit back..puh lease!!!! He complained the whole time! We were the last ones in our group. Really I didn't like it LOL.

Your vacation sounds awesome so far! How long are you there for? I can't wait to hear more. Have fun:)

Edited: 10 July 2013, 18:58
Iowa
Level Contributor
12,365 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live from Maui! Days 1 & 2!!!

Yes, you really are a Fun Girl!!! Love the way you laugh at the little inconveniences! We have three boys too, and I give you lots of credit for being a great mom to share a room with 2 of them for your whole trip!!! The Westin sounds like lots of fun for your boys.

Sorry, I think I'm one of those that reassured you about the kayaking... it's been easy for me and I am not athletic! Well, so glad you can laugh, and now you know! Looking forward to more - thanks for sharing!!!

Edited: 10 July 2013, 19:11
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
473 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live from Maui! Days 1 & 2!!!

Sounds like a great start. Waiting for more.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live from Maui! Days 1 & 2!!!

Awesome start, fungirl, thanks so much for reporting!!

New Berlin, WI
Level Contributor
477 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live from Maui! Days 1 & 2!!!

Awesome start to your trip! Thanks for sharing, I will continue reading!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live from Maui! Days 1 & 2!!!

Loving this ride along, but I was certain I would!!! I swear.....I am on break and when I went to TA and saw your trip report, I was literally just so happy you were finally there. And then I read a small portion......LOL!......and was so happy you are even generous enough to bring us with you for the fun! Is a condo looking good for after this vacation or are the boys having too much fun with the slide and pool?

I hope I didn't encourage you on the kayaking cause I have never done it.......if you fall in the water in Alaska, you just froze to death if you do not get out quick! Our active daughter keeps wanting to get us to join them on a kayaking trip.....she's sweet, but not for me. I lost my glasses to the surf boogie boarding at Po'olenalena Beach and can only imagine the misery in a kayak.

Thanks for the update and very pleased everyone is doing just great so far! Deb

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
96 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live from Maui! Days 1 & 2!!!

What an awesome start to the trip! Can't wait for more live updates :)